Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 06:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy Arcade v5 - new files (29 Dec 2009)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 13 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar 2010, 23:21    Post subject:  

KF6SNJ wrote:
TI system roms can be found a plenty. Also, some of the TI emulators build thier own roms. Problem is that I have not been able to get even one of the emulators to compile. I may try Puppy Arcade with its MESS system to see if I can run the TI emulator that works through MESS. However, I'd prefer it to run without the use of an additional emulator, as I fail to see the point of using an emulator to run an emulator.

Yes but do you know what Wine stands for??
Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

Then you think "yes it is", lol
ttuuxxx

Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar 2010, 23:46    Post subject:  

KF6SNJ wrote:
TI system roms can be found a plenty. Also, some of the TI emulators build thier own roms. Problem is that I have not been able to get even one of the emulators to compile. I may try Puppy Arcade with its MESS system to see if I can run the TI emulator that works through MESS. However, I'd prefer it to run without the use of an additional emulator, as I fail to see the point of using an emulator to run an emulator.

Puppy Arcade doesn't currently include MESS (even in its current version, v7 (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52597). Puppy Arcade itself isn't an emulator, if that's what you're thinking - it's a Puppy Linux derivative that includes multiple emulators and is largely designed for that purpose.
As ttuuxxx mentioned, WINE isn't an emulator, but a way to allow Windows apps to run under Linux. Smile

You might have some luck getting the SDL version of MESS to run, or you might ask if someone could create a .pet for you.

KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2010, 00:59    Post subject:  

Wine is a simulator. It simulates an Operating System. An emulator mimics a hardware enviroment. I know full well that there is a difference. However, I still fail to see the reason to run a simulator to run an emulator to run an emulator (Wine running MESS running TI99EMU). I really prefer straight up simulation or emulation of the desired enviroment when possible.

Also, as Makoto observed, MESS is not supported in Arcade. I tried downloading and installing the .pet file. That is how I found out. Still, what it has is quite impressive. I may try downloading some roms for systems other than Mame and see how many old school games I can find that I happen to have cartridges (or CD's in a few rare cases) of.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2010, 01:12    Post subject:  

KF6SNJ wrote:
Simulator to run an emulator to run an emulator
maybe we should shorten that to See
ttuuxxx

KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2010, 16:31    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
KF6SNJ wrote:
ttuuxxx

Perhaps. That is about the size of it (with more processes than should be needed).

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar 2010, 04:52    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
KF6SNJ wrote:
ttuuxxx

Firstly, I don't wanna get bogged down in semantics, and I know you guys know what you're talking about, and I only mention this in case there are performance or efficiency worries, but I think KF6SNJ has added an extra step to the process of emulation of the TI system, using MESS.

MESS is an emulator, and directly emulates various system (hence its large size).. Running MESS under WINE simply allow a different version of MESS to work in linux, under an environment built to support windows stuff (WINE, as you know)..

Running MESS via WINE is not really an emulator in an emulator, in a simulator.. It's an emulator directly emulating roms, in a pre-configured environment, and that's it.

Also, as Makoto said, if you wanna try Puppy Arcade, you may wanna try Puppy Arcade 7, not v5.. v7 is much better...

Makoto

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar 2010, 05:26    Post subject:  

Oh - I didn't think that was why WINE had been mentioned. Embarassed KF6SNJ, is that what you were doing? Running the Windows version of MESS under WINE? There's a native Linux version; I just don't know how easy it would be to get it running under Puppy.

If you want to run a Windows 99/4A emulator under WINE, you might try one of the dedicated emulators, like Classic99. Now, I don't know if that runs under WINE, but a dedicated emulator might just work a little better than a multi-platform emulator (the Windows version of MESS).

(Edited quite some time after I made this post... never noticed I'd left the "=" off that last link, so I figured I might as well fixed it. Embarassed )

WireWulf

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:56    Post subject:  

Wine is classified as a comparability layer anyway was looking in on arcade pup I wished it support my wifi card ahh well Razz. anyways I WAS HERE
Page 13 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: