How to use my laptop's dialup modem in Puppy 4.00? (Solved)

mrbubl3s

How to use my laptop's dialup modem in Puppy 4.00? (Solved)

#1 Post by mrbubl3s »

I'm having some trouble getting my modem to work, Linux doesn't detect it!

This is my laptop:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600E

This is my modem:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/MWave_MDSP3780

I am running V.4.00 of puppy linux.

Thanks.
Last edited by mrbubl3s on Tue 23 Mar 2010, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

tech_jnke2

#2 Post by tech_jnke2 »

mr.b can you remove the modem? is it built in or is it a pci card modem? if it's a card you could replace it with one that does work or get you a pcmcia card like from xircom on ebay , the drivers are in puppy 4.3.1 and they do work well. hope this helps.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

mrbubl3s wrote:I am running V.4.00 of puppy linux.
Are you sure?? Puppy 4.0 is very old!!

Puppy 4.0 has the necessary mwave kernel module plus mwave utilities to support your modem,
but if you really have Puppy 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3 then the utilities are missing. Get them here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 368#336368

mrbubl3s

#4 Post by mrbubl3s »

tempestuous wrote:
mrbubl3s wrote:I am running V.4.00 of puppy linux.
Are you sure?? Puppy 4.0 is very old!!

Puppy 4.0 has the necessary mwave kernel module plus mwave utilities to support your modem,
but if you really have Puppy 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3 then the utilities are missing. Get them here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 368#336368
Yes, I have 4.00. And I have 4 modems that i tried, puppy just doesnt detect them. 3 external, one internal.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

The utilities tempestuous linked to are free, and it's no trouble to try them. :)

Are all four of your modems the same?

mrbubl3s

#6 Post by mrbubl3s »

Flash wrote:Are all four of your modems the same?
No.

EDIT: 3 Are serial, 2 are the same brand.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

This isn't 24 questions. :) I don't know enough to be much help, I'm just trying to get you to tell us enough that someone who knows more than me is willing to try to help figure out your problem. We have some smart people in this forum but I don't think any of them is clairvoyant. :(

So, what else can you tell us about those modems and what you've tried?

mrbubl3s

#8 Post by mrbubl3s »

Flash wrote:This isn't 24 questions. :) I don't know enough to be much help, I'm just trying to get you to tell us enough that someone who knows more than me is willing to try to help figure out your problem. We have some smart people in this forum but I don't think any of them is clairvoyant. :(

So, what else can you tell us about those modems and what you've tried?
Oh, sorry.

Well, two external serial modems are made by UsRobotics, ones a sportster 33.6 faxmodem , puppy doesn't detect that, and the other is a sportster 56k. The other external serial modem is made by best data, v.96. (model number: 56spx-2), and the internal one in my laptop you can see at the top. Puppy doesn't detect any of them, with reboot and/or detection with, GnomePPP, PupDial, Qtwvdialer, or Roaring Penguin PPPoE.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

There are some old forum threads regarding modem initialisation problems under Puppy 4.0.
So for best chance of success you really should be using the latest Puppy version (v4.3.1) and don't make the (silly) assumption that the "retro" version will work better with older hardware.

Then, of course, you need to install mwavem-1.0.2.pet that I mentioned earlier.

When testing, don't have any PCMCIA device plugged in. There can sometimes be hardware conflicts between these devices and the internal modem.

Since you're already aware of the thinkwiki.org site, you should be aware that the "QuickBoot" setting in bios should be disabled -
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_w ... _ThinkPads

Forum members peebee and vtpup have successfully used the 600E's internal modem in the past.

mrbubl3s

#10 Post by mrbubl3s »

Got it to work, I DO, have version 4.00 of puppy, and I installed mwavem-1.0.2.pet, rebooted with serial modem plugged in and no pcmcia cards plugged in, then with Qtwvdialer, I got stuck for a bit, but i noticed there was some more settings, where you enter the information for dialing, so i changed a couple of them, dialed, viola! :D Thanks everyone!

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

mrbubl3s wrote:rebooted with serial modem plugged in
dialed, viola!
So no success with the internal modem, then.

Incidentally, a viola is a musical instrument.

mrbubl3s

#12 Post by mrbubl3s »

Allwell.

Hey, I don't take spanish.

(pun intended.)

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

Since the level of reporting on this subject has been so unclear, let me clarify that the Mwave utilities I mentioned earlier are only relevant to the internal modem contained in ThinkPad models 600, 600E and 770/ED/X/Z.
mrbubl3s wrote:I installed mwavem-1.0.2.pet, rebooted with serial modem plugged in
The Mwave dotpet is completely irrelevant in the case of an external modem such as this.

Digital_Dissident

Don't Forget PCMICA Modems

#14 Post by Digital_Dissident »

I'm glad it sounds like the O.P. had success with a serial modem.

I just want to point-out that PCMCIA modems can be a great solution for older laptops that have the slots for them.

I'm using a 3Com 3CXM556* that I got for as little as $5- on eBay with a Dell Latitude C600 that's now ten years old. Worked with Puppy 4.3.1 as well as antiX MEPIS**, what I'm running now.

*Fully hardware-based and self-contained; watch-out for PCMCIA Winmodems, such as the 3CXM356 model from 3COM.

**The few other distros I've successfully run live on this laptop did not have any dial-up GUI that I could find.

sindi

Compaq LTE5280 Puppy 4.31 retro kernel

#15 Post by sindi »

120MHz, 80MB memory, one serial port (com1), one IR port (com2). No USB or CD-ROM
drive. PCMCIA non-cardbus, nice sound (SB emulation).Video works with Xvesa and
even framebuffer. 16-bit color, 800x600.

I installed it with the hard drive in another computer, where it dialed out.
It runs very slowly until I unload most of the driver modules (usb, cdrom, sound, a
parport) and kill ROX, blinky, absvolume (which files do I edit to make this permanent?).
I have not tried turbopup or any lite or barebones versions because I cannot get Puppy to dial out yet.

Intended for a neighbor for browsing/webmail with Puppy 4.3.1 (retro kernel 2.6.21.7).

First I tried Basiclinux which is delighted to have so much memory, but although it
recognizes two pcmcia modems (one as ttyS1 or ttyS2 depending whether I disable IR
port, the other is always ttyS3) and one USR external serial modem (as ttyS0), eznet
always tells me 'no dial tone'. Kermit complains about a locked file (UDCP?) and won't dial.

The external modem works perfectly in DOS with kermit.
All the modems work in another laptop on the same phone line.
PCMCIA works with ethernet so the slots are okay.

Puppy cannot even find any of these modems. I tried Probe
and also specifying the ttyS port. 'no modem detected'.

Two people got the modem working with linux by excluding irq5 which is used
by the sound chip. How do I do that? In Basiclinux I edit a script
which I cannot find in Puppy.

I lent the neighbor a 100MHz Toshiba with 24MB RAM,
Basiclinux and Opera 8 with a big swap file until I get
the Compaq to dial. I gave her a desktop but she cannot
see the monitor well with her bifocals.