British wireless internet users - you're guilty!

News, happenings
Aitch

British wireless internet users - you're guilty!

#1 Post by Aitch »

Proposed new legislation, due to pressure from the anti-copying lobby, suggest it will become law that you are assumed to be copying before you log on to the internet & therefore monitoring of your wireless use will be compulsorily made
Doug Hanchard wrote:The home of the Magna Carta may wind up being a digital police state. You will be assumed to be guilty of copyright violation before you log on. The government clearly believes that pub owners, hotels, business people and consumers simply cannot be trusted. If you can’t provide Identification, network management tools and filtering of Internet content for your wireless service, you will not be allowed to offer it. As this unfolds, new questions arise regarding privacy rights (yes /no?) and how this potentially impacts future innovation in the U.K.

If this legislation passes in its current form, Britain’s digital privacy rights will be non-existent.
http://government.zdnet.com/?p=7414&utm ... nt=Twitter

Terrible link, sorry

More, may be the same news?
Doug Hanchard wrote:In an obscene move, the British Government’s upcoming legislation, the Digital Economy Bill, a key part of law which will reduce abuse of Internet access such as illegal peer-to-peer networking and copyright infringement, may force public wireless access points out of use.

The proposed law, according to CrunchGear, would essentially impose “impossibly high levels of copyright protection by libraries and small businesses

dogle

#2 Post by dogle »

No you are not, but
SHOUT YOUR OBJECTIONS - while you can!!
no shouts seem to have been heard for some while now ...

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

Didn't expect any different

Too busy feeding and walking their puppies, this lot..... :wink:

One day, there'll be a realisation.....

Poof, where's everyone gone.......?

Aitch :)

sidders

#4 Post by sidders »

dogle

#5 Post by dogle »

Good on ya, sidders.

The proforma screed offered by 38degrees might carry a little more punch if varied to read something like:
"because it will allow anonymous, non-accountable officials to disconnect people merely on unfounded suspicion of copyright infringement."
"Do you not think this abrogates the HR Act 'Freedom to receive information'?"

& for Opposition MPs:
"Should the Government succeed in forcing through this pernicious measure, will you seek to repeal it without delay on your return to power?"

(The b?ggers are trying to stop us downloading our Puppys! .... now, back to my Escape Committee duties ...)

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

Thanks Sidders,

I was going to add about the demo at Parliament on the 24th, but now people have a link, or see here

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/campaigns/disconnection

Mandelson is an oversized rat! :wink:

[Who said that? :lol: :lol: ]

bugman

#7 Post by bugman »

this lets me off the hook

[dialup and 240 gigs of illegal downloads]

Aitch

#8 Post by Aitch »

Bugsy, with all your books, I'd have thought you know all about copyright

But it's your music collection they'll be after....

btw all

The public domain

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_a ... index.html

bugman

#9 Post by bugman »

oh i know about copyright

in jamaican music, it's what producers use to steal from artists

hell, most of what i have is out of print anyways, so . . .

8)

Aitch

#10 Post by Aitch »

Yep, know what you mean about that

I came across Desmond Decker, in London, pretty much in the gutter a good few years ago, because HE didn't get his royalties

I'd be interested in seeing the figures they keep talking about for 'lost revenue from copiers' as to the amount artists make in relation to labels/producers, and copyright 'collection agencies' [you know, the vultures and vampires :wink: ]

It used to be something like 2-2.5% when I was in the music business.....

"Excuse me, wannabe artist, would you sign on the dotted line, we want to own 97/98% of you...that'll do nicely...when you sell millions of records, you'll get loads of royalties...tee hee [we just won't let you think about our slice of you, 'cause you'll be famous - but we'll be rich!]"

or something similar.... :wink:

bugman

#11 Post by bugman »

there's a story floating around, can't remember who [cornell campbell comes to mind] about the time coxsone dodd [studio one] paid him in ice cream

:roll:

Aitch

#12 Post by Aitch »

Do you suppose we could pay for copying like that, too....?

bugman

#13 Post by bugman »

property is theft, it's better to [file-] share