Woof Quirky-009 - sessions NOT saved - ideas? fix?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
yvonne

Woof Quirky-009 - sessions NOT saved - ideas? fix?

#1 Post by yvonne »

Hi, loving quicky-009

I'm running a frugal install off usb stick.
I boot with grub 2 installed on stick and edit the grub.cfg which works great.
I have just the 3 files on the usb stick.

SO, please tell me how I can get woof QUIRKY-009 to save session on exit...

thanks!

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Yvonne,

Try starting puppy with pfix=ram on the kernel line in grub.

When you quit it should ask you if you want to save a pupsave file. Save it in the same directory as your other three files. If you are booting off a USB stick you should have a save option on the desktop, looks like a target, if you click on this it will do a forced save. When booting from a USB stick the pupsave file is only saved about every 30 minutes, this is to preserve the life of the USB stick.

Now Quirky may be different but this is how things normally work on a frugal install on a USB stick. In other words you should probably have four files.

Smokey

yvonne

#3 Post by yvonne »

woohoo! thank you. will try. Now, to show my lack of skill I'm going to mention that I will be trying to figure out HOW to load the dev.sfs for quirky 009 as well AND if it will give me the ability to compile from source as i hope.

I think I put the dev.sfs in /mnt/home and reboot ?
sorry about that question!

I believe I need gcc and make stuff. etc.

yvonne

#4 Post by yvonne »

nope.

probably 'cause I use grub2 installed on usb stick. With this GRUB2 menuentry to boot the loose 3 files at the root level of my usb stick.

set root=(hd0,1)
linux /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.gz

I added the pfix=ram line AFTER the linux line and then after the initrd line

1) linux /vmlinuz pfix=ram

then tried

2) initrd /initrd.gz pfix=ram

neither saved session on restart nor did I get the familiar save icon.

So...hmm.... mabe I need to alter one of the files vmlinuz or initrd.gz

??

smokey01

#5 Post by smokey01 »

I haven't tried Grub2 but I do have a USB stick with four or five different versions of puppy on it, never leave home without it.

What you did should have worked.

As for Quirky, Xorg and Xvesa don't work for me. I am waiting for Barry to release Quirky 10 before I try it again.

Quirky is very experimental which means you will usually have some issues.

Have you tried any other puplets like Zigberts Stardust?

I am currently using ver 4.3.2 and it works great on my machine.

yvonne

#6 Post by yvonne »

thanks smokey! um, i'm going to try small letter lower case for vmlinuz and initrd.gz as i needed to rename the quirky sfs. Good fun trying things. I'm trying dpup now.

yes, stardust is great, so's lighthouse. Thing is I'm needing to get more skill.
So all good for sure.

um, something woof based seems like the future yet it ends up a puppy anyways mostly so really... huh, I'm thinking the barest puppy possible. No games or desktop graphics fluff which if I recall startdust and lighthouse have a bit much of maybe, for me that is.

I would REALLY like a barebones puppy that I could compile source with.
Though I think 'maybe?' puppy has some unconventional /usr/lib pointers in most packages...not really able to explain yet though with the persistence aufs requirement it's not what I'm more used to.

fun fun fun though.

um, so about to try dpup and will be looking for a version that is really bare that has the compile stuff already or easily add-able. not as easy to find yet.

best wishes to all!

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

I was about to say be careful because Puppy is addictive but I see it's already too late.

Enjoy

tasmod

#8 Post by tasmod »

Try this, add this at beginning before the 'set root' line.

puppy pfix=ram
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

yvonne

#9 Post by yvonne »

UPDATE COMMENT: ohhh, puppy pfix=ram OK, will try. didn't see 'puppy' on first read.

- - -

hehehe yes! like, coming back to puppy after a long time of using it as a utility distro has me thinking, ok... time to understand what I didn't understand before.

and tasmod... I put the pfix line after set root=(hd0,1) last night... maybe try a few other places in the line. reply great, thanks. grubs is fantastically interesting for booting iso and in puppies case, booting the loose frugal files.

MOST interesting is stuff like, after extracting out the 3 needed files for a frugal on the USB stick AND to have it work with grub2 as things are now ... (grub2 looks for whatever hooks and stuff it can in the kernel and initrd lines as I understand it, to boot the iso or files.)

Anyways, I found that with quirky I renamed the .sfs and now with dpup the files IN the ISO are big letters/upper-case and reallyinteresting is that the file name for the sfs is like,

DPUP_484.SFS

and grub2 boot told me it couldn't find:

dpup-484.sfs

dash underscore

differences between ISO and what grub2 expects.

guess there's some translation in intird.gz or vmlinuz

Anyways on my list to learn about boot files etc.
my skill there is just very very primary.

OK thanks!
looking forward to quirky 010

currently using dpup due to the save thing in quirky for me... and maybe dpup is logical for me for now..... dunno yet. can't save....

will work with the pfix=ram

like I said, though I don't assume I got it right yet I believe that pupping the pfix line after

set root=(hd0,1) pfix=ram

not working.

maybe:
set root=pfix=ram (hd0,1)

guess not on that one.

cool though!!!!