Puppy Stardust 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jpeps

#21 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote: - 013 stores the starter-scripts (/usr/share/stardust/bin/) in pup-431.sfs instead of pup_save.2fs. If apps are removed for next release, an upgrade will also remove the starter-script.
Sigmund
Great! Changes (config files, etc) might also be included in a /etc/skel directory to completely eliminate the need for remaking pup_save.

zigbert

#22 Post by zigbert »

jpeps wrote:Changes (config files, etc) might also be included in a /etc/skel directory to completely eliminate the need for remaking pup_save.
I don't follow you, please explain.....

Sigmund

jpeps

#23 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
jpeps wrote:Changes (config files, etc) might also be included in a /etc/skel directory to completely eliminate the need for remaking pup_save.
I don't follow you, please explain.....

Sigmund
Any admin changes that effect pup_save files get placed in a /etc/skel folder which can get copied (eg, to $HOME) and thus saved. Then, just
note changed files for updates.

http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html

bigpup

Retrovol at Startup

#24 Post by bigpup »

Puppy Stardust gets better and better. Nice work Zigbert!!

One small bug to report:
At start-up the Retrovol settings window is open on desktop.

About all this #13 stuff. I am using Stardust 013, while sitting under a ladder, and it works for me.

bigpup

Ptray Changes

#25 Post by bigpup »

Zigbert Wrote:
It is time to look at the Ptray gui once more. It has been reported several times that it is a bit complex. If anyone has some thoughts about how to simplify it, it's time to shout. I want to hear your opinions.
When you figure out how to use it, the layout makes sense. What would help, is to have a help button, that would open a help file, showing how to use.

DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

I cant see a GUI way to change the font/font size for GTK Themes, so I did it by creating a file .gtkrc-2.0.mine, which seems to behave like a global override in GTK.
Also, in Favourites, it would be easier to use if the apps/docs could use their own icons rather than the generic one assigned.
Stardust needs me to use it in a slightly different way than I am used to, mainly because the automation imposes restrictions, but by embracing those differences, this is becoming a great version. Life would have been so much easier for me if this had been available when I first started with Puppy.
This is the fastest Puppy to configure I have used, and points the way forward for the next CE.
Great great job Zigbert................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#27 Post by zigbert »

jpeps wrote:Any admin changes that effect pup_save files get placed in a /etc/skel folder which can get copied (eg, to $HOME) and thus saved. Then, just note changed files for updates.
I thought easy upgrade was the main target for the idea of pup_save. - Save your pup_save file, and all personal additions are stored??? Why store things elsewhere?

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Retrovol at Startup

#28 Post by zigbert »

bigpup wrote:One small bug to report:
At start-up the Retrovol settings window is open on desktop..
Is this a fresh install or any kind of upgrade?

Sigmund

zigbert

#29 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:I cant see a GUI way to change the font/font size for GTK Themes, so I did it by creating a file .gtkrc-2.0.mine, which seems to behave like a global override in GTK.
Have you tried the 'global font size' changer? Puppy Contor Center - 'fonts' tab or 'environment' tab.

Sigmund

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

4.2 had a great theme for Seamonkey. Here it is if anybody wants to add it to Stardust. Works just fine, but will overwrite the default theme.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jpeps

#31 Post by jpeps »

zigbert wrote:
jpeps wrote:Any admin changes that effect pup_save files get placed in a /etc/skel folder which can get copied (eg, to $HOME) and thus saved. Then, just note changed files for updates.
I thought easy upgrade was the main target for the idea of pup_save. - Save your pup_save file, and all personal additions are stored??? Why store things elsewhere?
Sigmund
Maybe I'm getting confused.....To update, I have to use pfix=ram, so can't use my old pup_save, and instead start from scratch building a new one. Am I missing something here?

If changed environmental/config files were placed in /etc/skel, the user could boot with the old pup_save, and simply copy over altered files without starting from scratch....no pfix=ram. Reboot and all is well.
At least I think that's how it works. :)

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

May have been mentioned before: something is wrong with the USB install (install created via Universal Installer), reports 431.sfs not found. Used initrd.gz and vmlinuz from generic 4.3 to fix it. Probably initrd.gz error?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

Retrovol on desktop

#33 Post by bigpup »

Zigbert wrote:
bigpup wrote:
One small bug to report:
This is a fresh, full hard drive install of Stardust 013, made with 01micko's pup_stardust-012.iso___pup_stardust-013.iso.delta update to Stardust 012.

One thing not sure about. When I did the delta update to Stardust 012, it made a new file called new file.iso I had to rename it to Stardust 013.iso

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

Bigpup

That is a known issue with the older version of Xdelta, instructions are linked to in my signature. :wink:

(easiest way is to rename .delta file BEFORE using.. if you have old delta with ":" replace "___" with ":")
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

trio

#35 Post by trio »

Ziggy,

You might want to implement this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53493

sinc

#36 Post by sinc »

bigpup wrote:
One small bug to report:

same situation here with a fresh frugal install. on bootup retroval was open under the setup screen

zigbert

#37 Post by zigbert »

jpeps wrote:Maybe I'm getting confused.....To update, I have to use pfix=ram
pup-431 in Stardust 013 may be changed to future pup-431 files without pfix=ram.

Sigmund

zigbert

#38 Post by zigbert »

DaveS wrote:May have been mentioned before: something is wrong with the USB install (install created via Universal Installer), reports 431.sfs not found. Used initrd.gz and vmlinuz from generic 4.3 to fix it. Probably initrd.gz error?
I see......initrd.gz is grabbed from jrb's special edition of Puppy 4.3.1to support newer broadcom wifi-chips. If you like to dive into this, it would be great if you'd tested this iso, just to see if usb-install works here. I think the problem only occurs when installing to a vfat partition. I have Stardust on my pen (ext2), and it works just fine.

Sigmund

zigbert

#39 Post by zigbert »

trio wrote:Ziggy,

You might want to implement this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53493
Hmmm

zigbert

#40 Post by zigbert »

sinc wrote:bigpup wrote:
One small bug to report:

same situation here with a fresh frugal install. on bootup retroval was open under the setup screen
Added to bug-list

Sigmund