Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ttuuxxx

#1301 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi jemimah which new games did you add?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

jemimah

#1302 Post by jemimah »

So I got unionfs too boot, but Chrome crashes it - it suppose that's why it was abandoned in the first place.

Dawnsboy, that's really bizarre. My 701 boots right up with no complaints. Can you try booting with 'loglevel=7' and see if it tells you more? Also can you see if the Atom kernel works?

Ttuuxxx, I added Gtans, Xinvaders3d, Xdemineur, and two neat little OpenGL games - Transcend, and Cultivation.

Nevermore

#1303 Post by Nevermore »

Hello
I would recommend to upgrade to the last version of chrome, the one that supports the addons.
Since when i try to install the addons i get an error telling me that my version is too old and i should go for the beta. (or at least the favourite sync one).

I tried to install skype, but was unable to, is there a chance to have a sfs with skype? im still using the beta 3 because it seems the beta 4 has corruption problems..
--
/sbin/Nevermore

hokal

#1304 Post by hokal »

@jemimah
fdisk -l lists all my drives, but no boot drive. I still can boot from that non existing drive, it just disappeared.
I have formatted my boot drive (ext3 3.8GB) and reinstalled my .2fs file on a virgin system, but same result.

Shutting down, I get failures like EXT4 -fs errors (deviceLoop1) ......too fast to see all of them. But I can still boot again! I never had ext4 installed!

So I have to start all over again with a "virgin" system. In the meantime I use Stardust9 on my 900, which is quite stable.

Strange is also that I can start virgin frugal from USB stick only if I wipe out all my .2fs files from other drives. Puppeee is eager looking for .2fs files and using them without asking me at all :roll:

Still don't understand, that with all that "Chrome trouble" you have you don't rely on seamonkey until Chrome is stable :shock: ???
But don't get me wrong: I still love Puppeee :D

flatmo

#1305 Post by flatmo »

Jemimah
I installed the last version yesterday on my 701 4G 1Gb RAM with no problems. Youtube videos don't look good on Chrome, more frame by frame than a continuous video, audio is fine.
PDFs don't good either in the default program installed, takes a long time parsing after zooming in or out, and even after this the result is not optimal. Booting time is spectacular and the applications I tried (opening doc and xls files) run very fast.
Great work!

jemimah

#1306 Post by jemimah »

Nevermore, I will probably update chrome for the next version - I tested the latest a few weeks ago and it seemed ok. Would you mind testing the new version with a new save file? I want to know if anyone else besides dawnsboy is having a problem booting the celeron kernel on a 701. The only risk of corruption is to your save file - it shouldn't mess with your other filesystems.

Hokal, you can restrict it from searching for save files on your disk by adding 'pmedia=usbflash' to the syslinux.cfg - athough this may not work correctly yet with the new kernel, if that doesn't work - try 'pdev1=sdb1' instead.

The new kernel uses the EXT4 driver for all ext filesystems, that's why you see ext4 error messages.

Firefox also crashes unionfs - it's not just Chrome, I haven't tested seamonkey2 on it - I wonder what it's doing that causes the crash.
Last edited by jemimah on Fri 12 Mar 2010, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#1307 Post by jemimah »

Flatmo, I'll see if I can find a better pdf viewer. Have you tried overclocking for youtube? Some 701s crash, but some can handle it just fine.

Chrome uses the same flashplayer as seamonkey, firefox, or any other browser - but I suppose I could try updating to flash 10.

jemimah

#1308 Post by jemimah »

To get skype to run, go to the skype website http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/ and download the static build.

Decompress it, then click on the skype executable and you should be good to go.

hokal

#1309 Post by hokal »

'pmedia=usbflash' never worked for me. Will not find .2sf file.

Flatmo, Jemimah

try Foxit, I think it is much better / faster than epdf.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FoxitReader?show_comments=1

flatmo

#1310 Post by flatmo »

Thanks Jemimah. One of the old puppeee versions (2.4?) worked just fine for both youtube videos and viewing PDFs. It used a lot of power though. I'm yet to compare the use of battery in Beta 4.0. Love to have all the the function keys working.
jemimah wrote:Flatmo, I'll see if I can find a better pdf viewer. Have you tried overclocking for youtube? Some 701s crash, but some can handle it just fine.

Chrome uses the same flashplayer as seamonkey, firefox, or any other browser - but I suppose I could try updating to flash 10.

flatmo

#1311 Post by flatmo »

Foxit reader solved my problems. Thanks hokal.

Jemimah: I installed Opera 9.64 as instructed here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28317 Is not as fast as Chrome but it does not have problems showing youtube videos, and the pages in general look much better on the 701 screen.

jemimah

#1312 Post by jemimah »

Just tested youtube on my 701 and it was fine as long as I wasn't in Xvesa. It was flawless overclocked.

Foxit is too big to include by default; I have a strong preference for free (libre, open source) software as well. Do you have an example pdf that renders poorly?

dougeeebear

#1313 Post by dougeeebear »

Just a thought... is Puppeee programmed for the daylight saving time changes that went into effect in 2007?

dawnsboy

#1314 Post by dawnsboy »

Dawnsboy, that's really bizarre. My 701 boots right up with no complaints. Can you try booting with 'loglevel=7' and see if it tells you more? Also can you see if the Atom kernel works?
I've been at work all day. Just caught up with the thread. I failed to report in initial post that system stops when attempting to boot kernel. Message displayed is as follows:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
pae

Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for you system

jemimah

#1315 Post by jemimah »

How much RAM do you have dawnsboy?

dougeeebear, I have no idea - is it daylight savings time again already? I'll look into it.

---

I finally got my 701SD - expect bug fixes soon! Gonna have to patch the kernel to fix the rfkill problem - my scripts were fine - the rfkill button actually does an rfkill whenever you press it now, I just didn't realize that was what's happening... ah well, easily fixed.

01micko

#1316 Post by 01micko »

Thanks jemimah

I was going to report that Fn-F2 was still crashing the 701SD,

Another issue is that eee-control gui has a problem, it won't show with a gtk-dialog error.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dawnsboy

#1317 Post by dawnsboy »

How much RAM do you have dawnsboy?
I have 1 gig of RAM

jemimah

#1318 Post by jemimah »

ok, yup I just checked, pae got turned on by mistake. I'll upload a new kernel when I get the chance to rebuild it.

dawnsboy

#1319 Post by dawnsboy »

I look forward to being able to download the new kernel.

jemimah

#1320 Post by jemimah »

Here's a fixed eee-control for the 701SD.
Attachments
eee-control.gz
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 252 times