How to connect Fujitsu A series Lifebook wifi?

elohelomg

How to connect Fujitsu A series Lifebook wifi?

#1 Post by elohelomg »

I'm not too tech savvy, so please don't go all ninja on me with the explanations...

I have a Fujitsu A series lifebook, with Puppy Linux installed ON THE HARD DRIVE.

With the wifi enabled, i scan for a network, which at first, it doesn't find any, but after a few tries, it does pick up my personally network. When trying to connect to it, password inserted and all, it tries to connect , times out and says "unable to establish WPA connection.

The details:

wpa_state=Scanning

Running puppy v 4.3.1
Last edited by elohelomg on Mon 08 Mar 2010, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You'll have to tell us more if we're to help you.
What kind of wireless adapter is in the Fujitsu? Is it built-in, or something you plug into the Fujitsu?
Tell us something about your network hardware and how it is set up.

elohelomg

#3 Post by elohelomg »

Its the wireless card that comes with the laptop, built in "stock", for a lack of a better word.

http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do

It is an Atheros driver, im not too sure about the rest. I wish i could help more, but thats all I know.

Upon opening the network wizard, it shows the wlan0, module ath5k and the description goes as such:

pci: Atheros communications, device unknown.

This is a FULL install of puppy, no windows on here what so ever. Puppy is my main OS.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I don't know much about wireless. Here is a post that might help. Run the lspci -n command and post the results here. Then maybe someone who knows more can help you. :)

DMcCunney

#5 Post by DMcCunney »

elohelomg wrote:Its the wireless card that comes with the laptop, built in "stock", for a lack of a better word.

http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do

It is an Atheros driver, im not too sure about the rest. I wish i could help more, but thats all I know.

Upon opening the network wizard, it shows the wlan0, module ath5k and the description goes as such:

pci: Atheros communications, device unknown.

This is a FULL install of puppy, no windows on here what so ever. Puppy is my main OS.
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 running Puppy 4.31 in a Full install with similar issues. If I run my network unsecured, Puppy will connect to it. I haven't been able to get it to connect to my WPA2 setup. (I haven't tried using WEP. That's fundamentally insecure, and I might as well run as Open.)

One oddity I noticed: Puppy's Network Wizard defaults to looking for Hidden SSIDs. It wouldn't see my network at all until I changed it Broadcast. Running Hidden is an illusory security measure. Lots of things can still see the network, even if you don't broadcast the SSID. The Network Wizard really ought to default to Broadcast.

The Lifebook came with Windows, and I currently use ndiswrapper to load the Windows wifi driver instead of the one that Puppy ships with, but that alone hasn't fixed the issue. I recall similar issues discussed elsewhere on the forums talking about the WPA supplicant not being properly loaded by default. The driver can talk to the network, but the authentication routines that will let you connect aren't properly loading.

The notebook normally connects via CAT5 cable to my router from the Ethernet port, so resolving it hasn't been a pressing issue.
______
Dennis

elohelomg

#6 Post by elohelomg »

Flash wrote:I don't know much about wireless. Here is a post that might help. Run the lspci -n command and post the results here. Then maybe someone who knows more can help you. :)
Attachments
Screen shot.png
Here is a screen shot of the results
(10.57 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times

elohelomg

#7 Post by elohelomg »

2 days...

BUMP!

elohelomg

#8 Post by elohelomg »

Final bump