Puppy On Laptops

Using applications, configuring, problems
lugligino

HP Omnibook Xe2 DD

#81 Post by lugligino »

Puppy 4.1.3 full installation on a 1999 born HP Omnibook Xe2 DD, PII 366MHz, 256MB RAM, HD 4GB, 12" wide screen 800x600, Phoenixbios DD.M2.03. Only two partitions hda1 for puppy and hda2 (600 MB) as swap.
Puppy run fast and stable but touchpad is partially recognized (double tap is not recognized as a click on left button).
Mplayer, vlc (now disintalled both) and gxine work great but only after the 1st run (badalloc error and crash). I can watch internet TV on gxine ay acceptable quality on seamonkey :o, while flash film (youtube) are quality poor (audio ok, but video nearly not existent). I use several Win software using wine-1.1.38.
Puppy is able to recognize a PCMCIA triple usb2.0 card while vwdial (connect) is able to recognize a huawei E156G usb modem inserted to one of the three usb2.0 ports. :P Great! So I preferred to wipe WIN XP and install Puppy (Dual install needed too much HD room).

Aitch

#82 Post by Aitch »

Various IBM lappys, from 560/570 to T21 & T30, Toshiba PS271E/S2710XDVD
Most puppies/derivatives I've tried work 95-100%, though some just don't boot with kernel panic??
full install on 560/570 work best, otherwise frugal or liveCD plus savefile
I prefer ttuuxxx's 214X or Joe's Slaxer_pup as 1st try OSs for lappys
4.1.2 is probably most stable, otherwise
some network/wifi/3G connectivity issues
occasional xorg/videodriver issues
Recent acquisition Edubook, 4.3.1, & Jemimah's version

Still playing/experimenting hard & soft :wink:
I think it's my age :lol:

Aitch :)

tubeguy

#83 Post by tubeguy »

See below!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

stu90

#84 Post by stu90 »

Dell Inspiron 1501
1.6 AMD dual core
1 gig of ram shared with graphics

running frugal install on hard drive.
Lighthouse puppy
Dpup
stardust12
Boxpup

my laptop is loving puppy idling / web browsing at a positivity breezy 38oC :shock:

yangmusa

#85 Post by yangmusa »

"Back in the day", all of about 2 years ago, when EeePC was a rumor on the web but not yet for sale, I put this together from a diskless ex-corporate machine off eBay for $50:

Fujitsu Lifebook B2131
400 MHz Pentium
192 MB Ram
10" touch screen, 800*600
IDE-Compact Flash adapter - 1x2GB flash card + 1x4GB microdrive

Initially I ran Damn Small Linux, but since Puppy 3 I've been using Puppy as my main OS. I also have Wolvix on there, and while surprisingly usable it's much slower than Puppy and not tempting for everyday use.

I'm now thinking of upgrading to something newer, smaller and lighter. I've been thinking of the Edubook, or maybe this: http://semprotech.com/t70dj10.html - but all the reviews out there say that web video plays poorly. Which is weird - the B2131 plays Youtube "almost" smoothly, definitely watchable. So how can a 10 year newer machine, with a processor more than 2 times faster (on paper) still not manage to play video? Plus the Fujitsu was not a cheap machine when new, and the excellent build quality and great keyboard make it a joy to use. Hmmm, maybe I'll just hang on to it a little longer :wink:

Varmint

laptops/netbooks

#86 Post by Varmint »

Acer Aspire One here, came with WinXP, so I shrunk the partition, added an Acer Remix Puppy and a DesktopBSD 1.7 partition as well. Nice little tri-boot machine. The onboard wifi is useless, as is the Crystal Eye Camera. I boot into WinXP if I need a camera at this time, as I'm not certain of the proper driver for it. As for the onboard wifi, I use an Intellinet Wireless G USB Adapter which has an SMA antenna connector, which allows me to use whatever antenna I want. I have a few pups and other distros on usb sticks that work well with this netbook, and I may get something with a flash drive instead of a hard drive next so I can carry it in the bush without worries about the drive being damaged by my abuse, which is inevitable with hard drives.

ChurchPup Concordia Edition, DigiPup, PupItUp, Acer Remix 2, and others have been tested with good results on this netbook, and I'm going to try some of the other netbook remixes as well just to see what happens.

tubeguy

Re: laptops/netbooks

#87 Post by tubeguy »

Varmint wrote:As for the onboard wifi, I use an Intellinet Wireless G USB Adapter which has an SMA antenna connector, which allows me to use whatever antenna I want.
You just made my day, that would be way better than my current PCMCIA card. :D

Flash858

My suggestion

#88 Post by Flash858 »

Cat -
I had an Asus 1000 HE, and not only is it arguably the best netbook ever made (280 chip, I upped to 2gb ram from 1gb, 9 hr battery life, great screen, very compact yet solidly built, fantastic chicklet keyboard, excellent wi-fi, decent sound, easy and quickly changeable BIOS, great touchpad, will boot off HD, SD, External USB anything, etc...) - only drawback is MAJOR FINGERPRINTS - so I got a fitted case), but it ran every single puppy/puplet distro I threw at it. I finally settled on the vanilla Deep Thought for a myriad of reasons, the most predominate of which is familiarity. I added VLC to it, and that was about it.

I wiped the HD, had Ubuntu 9.04 standard (not NBR), full install of Deep thought, and Eeebuntu on the HD, and a frugal of Tigerpup on the SD card. All were flawless. The only hiccup is the wi-fi is auto-disabled in the bios when you add an operating system (took a while to figure that out...), but it is easily re-enabled.

I just c omitted to an HP mini, that I am getting for a song, as I am going back to civilization (East Coast) for vacation next month, but when I return, I will sell it for a profit and get another 1000HE.

I really miss that machine! :(

Aitch

#89 Post by Aitch »

yangmusa

Perhaps, The Acer Aspire Revo3600?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 906#393906

As I say, I'm not an Acer fan, but with Nvidia ION chipset included it's a whole different machine
- that one you link to uses an ARM [unsupported] processor, whereas the Aspire has the Atom - and the video is incredible

http://i.gizmodo.com/5111999/nvidia-ion ... l-hd-video

yangmusa

#90 Post by yangmusa »

Aitch wrote:that one you link to uses an ARM [unsupported] processor
Check the link again - it actually uses a Vortex86 processor, which is x86 compatible. But it's true - the machine looks pretty much identical to many that come with ARM processors.

However, I found this review from Engadget. I think it's the same machine branded differently - anyway, if it really retails at $200, then it really doesn't seem like good value compared to a used machine of higher quality.

Edited to fix the links. Thanks for the tip, CatDude!
Last edited by yangmusa on Sat 06 Mar 2010, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

CatDude

#91 Post by CatDude »

Hello yangmusa
yangmusa wrote: SORRY the links are a mess - this forum software is "delightfully janky" and it doesn't work although I'm following the syntax of their example :oops:
You just need to make one change to each of the links in your previous post.

Change the ] just in front of http for a =

So that these:

http://semprotech.com/t70dj10.html]the link
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/16/tnx- ... m Engadget

become these:

the link
this review from Engadget

If you click on the Quote button on this post, you will see what i mean.

Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Aitch

#92 Post by Aitch »

:oops: my bad, sorry about that, I found a different link, with arm in it, but can't find it again

The Aspire is here for just under £160 about $240, so a bit dearer than yours, but a good bit more powerful, with a 1.6ghz as to a 400mhz processor, methinks - without taking ION into consideration
Worth the extra $50?

http://www.compare.ie/83-computers/1242 ... -linux.htm

SilvioTOO

#93 Post by SilvioTOO »

I use Puppy with satisfaction on this old hardware:

Fujitsu Liteline
AMD 500 mhz
RAM 64 mb
Internal HD 4 GB
External usb disk 80 GB

Software:

Puppy 4.3.1
MLDonkey 3.0.1

Clic here for some images

Hi all! :D

sullysat

#94 Post by sullysat »

SilvioTOO wrote:I use Puppy with satisfaction on this old hardware:

Fujitsu Liteline
AMD 500 mhz
RAM 64 mb
Internal HD 4 GB
External usb disk 80 GB

Software:

Puppy 4.3.1
MLDonkey 3.0.1

Clic here for some images

Hi all! :D
Awesome Silvio! How difficult was it to get 4.3.1 loaded with only 64MB of RAM? I've got some low spec machines that I'm using older versions of Puppy with, but this is encouraging, especially if it responds well for you.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

r__hughes

#95 Post by r__hughes »

I use grub-booted frugal Puppy431(2.6.30.5) on a DELL Latitude D610 Laptop with 512Mb RAM & (nominal)40G harddrive.which came with 1 bootable ntfs partition with WinXP Home installed.

I repartitioned it as shown below & made it grub-bootable from mbr for a frugal pup431 installation on the sda3 ext2 partition:-

sda1 15G ntfs bootable with WinXP
sda2 16G fat32 for misc files available to Puppy & WinXP
sda3 5.3G ext2 for frugal pup430
sda4 612M Linux-swap

The built-in wifi works out-of-the-box using the connect-wizard. It also has an ethernet port and 1 PCMCIA slot.

It has no built-in microphone or web-cam - but a $3 plug-in mike and a $25 microsoft VX-700 Lifecam do the trick for Skype and mhWaveEdit (using Alsamixer to give microphone capture & boost).

It has 4 USB2 connectors and I can boot off USB-flash drives and use USB2 ext harddrives & ext DVD/CD R/W (useful because the built-in optical drive is a CDRW/DVDR - no DVDW)
Attachments
Dell_Lat_D610.jpg
How I partitioned the drive
(45.05 KiB) Downloaded 1476 times
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

pbittle

Dell Latitute D630

#96 Post by pbittle »

I know this thread is fairly old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've got a Dell Latitude D-630 with 2GB RAM and a 100GB HDD running Windows XP SP3 and VMware Workstation 6.5.3. I'm using Puppy in the VM.

I loaded Puppy as a HD install. I allocated 256MB RAM and 1GB HDD for the Puppy install. It runs like a champ! I've had no problems with compatibility within VMware. I haven't tried it on this laptop as a standalone, i.e. accessing the hardware directly, such as wireless, display adapter, etc. However, based on my tests with other machines and the Puppy Live CD, I would suppose that it'll just run.

OT --I'm seriously considering using Puppy for a number of our factory PCs that are older. The one rub is that I need a TN5250 emulator to work. I downloaded Mochasoft's emulator for Linux. It says I need the GTK and GDK 1.2 Libraries. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get that working within Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I need to start another thread or there is one already, please let me know. I'm new to the Puppy community, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Peter

tubeguy

Re: Dell Latitute D630

#97 Post by tubeguy »

pbittle wrote:I know this thread is fairly old, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've got a Dell Latitude D-630 with 2GB RAM and a 100GB HDD running Windows XP SP3 and VMware Workstation 6.5.3. I'm using Puppy in the VM.

I loaded Puppy as a HD install. I allocated 256MB RAM and 1GB HDD for the Puppy install. It runs like a champ! I've had no problems with compatibility within VMware. I haven't tried it on this laptop as a standalone, i.e. accessing the hardware directly, such as wireless, display adapter, etc. However, based on my tests with other machines and the Puppy Live CD, I would suppose that it'll just run.

OT --I'm seriously considering using Puppy for a number of our factory PCs that are older. The one rub is that I need a TN5250 emulator to work. I downloaded Mochasoft's emulator for Linux. It says I need the GTK and GDK 1.2 Libraries. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get that working within Puppy. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I need to start another thread or there is one already, please let me know. I'm new to the Puppy community, so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Peter
Welcome aboard!

Can't help you myself, but you might want to repost this in the "Users" forum at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=3

SilvioTOO

#98 Post by SilvioTOO »

Awesome Silvio! How difficult was it to get 4.3.1 loaded with only 64MB of RAM? I've got some low spec machines that I'm using older versions of Puppy with, but this is encouraging, especially if it responds well for you.
:P I tell you that Puppy, on this poor machine, run quite well. The only great limit is the ram: at system loaded and MLDonkey running, only 2488 kb of memory remain free :(

However, for curiosity, I tryed to used it for surf pages, email, chat and write with Abiword, and the experience is not frustrating (in my opinion).

Aitch

#99 Post by Aitch »

Silvio

You may benefit from a full install and a separate linux swap partition, with low ram

However, I'd have though PC100 memory for that lappy easy to find cheaply in 64/128mb sticks, and it should take 2x128mb, at least

linuxbear

#100 Post by linuxbear »

Some of you folks are running powerhouses. I am posting this with an old Dell La titude laptop that's at least 6 years old. P-III 366Mhz with 256 Mb of RAM. This guy runs very with the 4.2, but is not as usable with 4.3. Everything is working. Of course, youtube is a bit choppy, but video runs well if it's on the miniscule 6 Gig hard drive.

...Glen