Boxpup 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fuzetsu490

#41 Post by fuzetsu490 »

Q5sys wrote: well I decided to take a shot in the dark and choose not to encrypt the save file and guess what... it works fine. So Im not sure why trying to encrypt it is breaking the save file.
As for your issue, which method of installing are you using? Universal Installer or BootFlash?
I had the same problem, I formatted my usb drive to ext3 using gparted, installed boxpup, raised the boot flag using gparted to make the drive bootable, restarted my computer, booted the drive and everything seemed to work, i then shut down boxpup and tried to create an encrypted pup_save, it was stuck several minutes at the saving screen then told me that the session was not saved. When i restarted and tried to boot it asked me for a my password but couldn't start up. After that i tried to do the same thing as you did, go for no encryption and like you said it worked fine. I havent tried to create an encrypted pup_save with 4.3.1 puppy before this so im not sure if this is a bug or something but im guessing that it only happens in boxpup 431 (this doesnt bother me much since i dont have much need for encryption, i was just testing how it worked.) I have never had any problems creating a bootable usb drive with puppy 4.3.1 though...

Tid

#42 Post by Tid »

Thanks for the tip fuzetsu490. I have been able to save and boot off of USB just fine now that I changed to ext3.
Last edited by Tid on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.

Tid

#43 Post by Tid »

Gray, great pup! I have been really pleased with your work and glad you put out another upgrade.

fuzetsu490

#44 Post by fuzetsu490 »

Tid wrote:Thanks for the tip fuzetsu490. I have been able to save and boot off of USB just fine now that I changed to ext3.
No problem, yeah i haven't had any problems with ext3, though i have read that ext2 is better for usb drives. But both seem to work fine, before i had a problem with saving but i suspect that had to do with the usb drive i was using, not the format or the puplet.

Hugh

PWGET and PWSGET

#45 Post by Hugh »

To download from a site which requires the
User: puppy and Password: linux, use the
PWSGET gui which may be downloaded
HERE.

It's a most handy utility for downloads and
will work without inputting the User: and
Password: data for sites which do not
require them.

Copy and paste the URL, add User and
Password where requred, select your
destination folder, and DOWNLOAD!

ninoid

#46 Post by ninoid »

I try many diferent versions of Linux and Puppy derivates and find Boxpup is best because work fine on old computers, is small, fast, stable and have better software (Thunar is better of ROXFiler, FirePup is better of Seamonkey etc.). But, it is too lightly on my ATI Radeon 9600 AGP and I try many diferent drivers and it not work (Catalyst freeze my Boxpup).
How driver I can use?

SOLVED
Use Xorg driver for old ATI card and DRI driver for OpenGL.
Last edited by ninoid on Sat 06 Mar 2010, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#47 Post by Colonel Panic »

I downloaded it and tried it out but sadly I had a couple of crashes in Firefox and had to switch to a different Puplet. Pity, because it still looks good.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Q5sys

#48 Post by Q5sys »

What type of tray does this use? I think its LXPanel, but does anyone know?
And where would I find the config files for it? I'm trying to figure out how how the bar has transparency not only for itself, but for each item on the bar (see attached image)

Also... I know that the drive bar thing is just a copied version of wbar, renamed to vbar and that the config for it is /etc/hotbar/hdbar

But what I dont know is A) how or what in the system auto adds drives to the hdbar file B) how or what is changing the icons in the hdbar file according to whether a drive is mounted or not C) how or what is giving me the dialog box when I click on a drive to mount or dismount or open.

What allows it to auto update itself ? There has to be something somewhere that edits the hdbar file.

And I have yet to be able to figure out how thats working. Can anyone clue me in?
Attachments
bar.png
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 912 times

stu90

#49 Post by stu90 »

Q5sys:
I believe that is the 'tint2' panel

If you go to root folder>view>show hidden files then .config > tint2 then open tint2rc with leafpad.

Q5sys

#50 Post by Q5sys »

stu90 wrote:Q5sys:
I believe that is the 'tint2' panel

If you go to root folder>view>show hidden files then .config > tint2 then open tint2rc with leafpad.
Sweet, thanks alot! Any ideas on the wbar thing for the drives?

I did a bit more digging, and heres what ive come up with so far...

I think that the hdbar file (/etc/hotbar/hdbar)is being written to once pmount is run. I figured this out by editing the file and removing a device or two from the list. Adding a new device and then the new device only would be added to the hdbar. But the ones that were there were before were not re-added. Actually i have no idea how to trip the system into re-adding them other than to remove them from the system and re-attach them.

So its at the point of the device being attached to the system that its being added to the hdbar.
So I thought I'd look through the Pmount stuff and see what I could find. I read through the following and found no reference to the hdbar file. So these arent writing to the file directly.
/usr/sbin/pmount
/sbin/probedisk
/sbin/probedisk2
/sbin/probepart
In fact the only files I could saw being directly written were
/root/.usb-drive-log-probedisk
/root/.usb-drive-log-probepart

then lastly I checked
/bin/mount and /bin/umount

in /bin/mount I found:

Code: Select all

#v4.02 if there is a desktop icon (see pup_eventd), then refresh it...
if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 -a "$DISPLAY" != "" ];then
 DEVNAME="`busybox mount | tail -n 1 | grep '^/dev/' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
 if [ "$DEVNAME" != "" ];then
  DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | cut -c 1-3`"
  #special case, SD card /dev/mmcblk0p1...
  [ "$DRVNAME" = "mmc" ] && DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | sed -e 's/p[0-9]$//'`"
  xDRVNAME="$DRVNAME" #v404
  devDISPLAYD=`grep "${DEVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  [ ! "$devDISPLAYD" = "" ] && DRVNAME="$DEVNAME" #icon for each partition.
  drvDISPLAYD=`grep "${DRVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  if [ ! "$drvDISPLAYD" = "" ];then
   case $DRVNAME in #v407
    fd*)
     DRV_CATEGORY="floppy"
    ;;
    *)
     dnPATTERN='/dev/'"${xDRVNAME}"'|'
     DRV_CATEGORY="`probedisk2 | grep "$dnPATTERN" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
    ;;
   esac
   icon_mounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
  fi
 fi
fi
and in bin/umount I found:

Code: Select all

#v403 if there is a desktop icon (see pup_eventd), then refresh it...
if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ];then
 #find which device has been unmounted... v406 add hd*... v407 add fd*...
 MNTDDEVS2="`busybox mount | grep '^/dev/[smhf]' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | cut -f 3 -d '/'`" #v403 sd, sr, mmc
 if [ "$MNTDDEVS2" = "" ];then
  DEVNAME="`echo "$MNTDDEVS1" | head -n 1`" #head is a precaution.
 else
  DEVNAME="`echo "${MNTDDEVS1}
${MNTDDEVS2}" | sort | uniq -u | head -n 1`" #head is a precaution.
 fi
 if [ "$DEVNAME" != "" -a "$DISPLAY" != "" ];then
  DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | cut -b 1-3`"
  #special case, SD card /dev/mmcblk0p1...
  [ "$DRVNAME" = "mmc" ] && DRVNAME="`echo -n "$DEVNAME" | sed -e 's/p[0-9]$//'`"
  xDRVNAME="$DRVNAME" #v404
  devDISPLAYD=`grep "${DEVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  [ ! "$devDISPLAYD" = "" ] && DRVNAME="$DEVNAME" #icon for each partition.
  drvDISPLAYD=`grep "${DRVNAME} " /etc/hotbar/hdbar`
  if [ ! "$drvDISPLAYD" = "" ];then
   case $DRVNAME in #v407
    fd*)
     DRV_CATEGORY="floppy"
    ;;
    *)
     dnPATTERN='/dev/'"${xDRVNAME}"'|'
     DRV_CATEGORY="`probedisk2 | grep "$dnPATTERN" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
    ;;
   esac
   #if any partitions still mounted, leave "MNTD" on icon...
   drvPATTERN='^/dev/'"${DRVNAME}" #important, no space on end.
   #"MNTD" text is intended as a reminder to user that drive needs to be unmounted,
   #   but partitions in use by Puppy cannot be unmounted.
   if [ "`df | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 1,6 -d ' ' | grep "$drvPATTERN" | grep -v ' /initrd/' | grep -v ' /$'`" = "" ];then
    if [ "`df | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 1,6 -d ' ' | grep "$drvPATTERN" | grep -E ' /initrd/| /$'`" != "" ];then
     #only a partition left mntd that is in use by puppy, change green->yellow...
     icon_mounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
    else
     #redraw icon without "MNTD" text...
     icon_unmounted_func $DRVNAME $DRV_CATEGORY #see functions4puppy4
    fi
   fi
  fi
 fi
fi
Is that what im looking for?

Colonel Panic

#51 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. I'm testing 4.31 Boxpup out now and it's a very solid distro in most ways but I can't get the widgets (the clock and calendar in particular) to work.

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong, since the same thing happened in 4.20 SUE as well? It's not a deal breaker for me since Gkrellm works well in Puppy, but it'd be nice to know.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Roy

#52 Post by Roy »

Colonel Panic,

I should be able to help you out on this one. Assuming that the problem is only a fresh install that does not have the Pwidgets started by default, bring up your menu, scroll to desktop and select Pwidgets tiny desktop apps. Then take a look at my attached screenshot to see how to get them started.

Now, if my initial assumption of your problem is wrong, please let me know. Seriously, I can probably help you out in most cases with this one. I have been using this as my everyday netbook system for awhile, and have tried to fix/adapt all along the journey....

-Roy
Attachments
pupscreen-11May,091619.jpeg
Stop/Start pwidgets
(79.64 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

Colonel Panic

#53 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks Roy, but I did try to do things that way and it made no difference, I couldn't get the widgets to work.

Roy

#54 Post by Roy »

Colonel Panic,

If I understand you correctly, you are unable to get Pwidgets started at all? I have not run into that problem, myself, but offer yet another screenshot to compare my filesystem with the one you currently have.

Notice gtkdialog3 in my /usr/sbin/ (which I'm pretty sure you already have) and compare my files located in /usr/local/pwidgets/ to what you have.... I am really wondering if your filesystem is complete at this point.

I am willing to do whatever I must to compare notes but -- as I said -- this is a new one on me.

-Roy

EDIT: We can compare the hidden files in root next, if you think it might do some good.
Attachments
pupscreen-11May,144220.jpeg
Pwidgets filesystem
(87.47 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

Colonel Panic

#55 Post by Colonel Panic »

Roy wrote:Colonel Panic,

If I understand you correctly, you are unable to get Pwidgets started at all? I have not run into that problem, myself, but offer yet another screenshot to compare my filesystem with the one you currently have.

Notice gtkdialog3 in my /usr/sbin/ (which I'm pretty sure you already have) and compare my files located in /usr/local/pwidgets/ to what you have.... I am really wondering if your filesystem is complete at this point.

I am willing to do whatever I must to compare notes but -- as I said -- this is a new one on me.

-Roy

EDIT: We can compare the hidden files in root next, if you think it might do some good.
Dear Roy,

I'm not posting from home atm so I can't compare notes directly, but you are correct; I wasn't able to get PWidgets started in the first place. It works OK in 4.20 and 4.21 though, so it can't just be my machine.

Best,

CP .

Colonel Panic

#56 Post by Colonel Panic »

Roy wrote:Colonel Panic,

-Roy

A quick update; I've carried out these checks snd I'm still mystified. gtkdialog3 does exist in /usr/sbin, there aren't any hidden files in my root directory as far as I can see, and the files I have in /usr/local/pwidgets are the same as in yours.

I'm not really that bothered about going to a lot of trouble, or asking you to, trying to sort it out. I'm posting from 4.21 which works well, widgets and all, and 4.31 Boxpup is OK too if you don't need the widgets (which I don't, it's nice to have them but gkrellm does all I need in the system info, time and date department).

Thanks for your concern anyway,

CP .

Roy

#57 Post by Roy »

there aren't any hidden files in my root directory as far as I can see
There should be (see attached screenshot). If .pwidgets is missing from your root directory, that would explain why your widgets aren't working.

-Roy
Attachments
pupscreen-13May,202455.jpeg
hidden .pwidgets directory in root
(88.78 KiB) Downloaded 755 times

moB

vbox guest additions

#58 Post by moB »

Have asked a question in another topic/thread, so don't wish to repeat too much. See post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=24

My trouble is that the guest additions don't work when rebooted.

Something is not linked correctly or saved incompletely?

Anyone else have this trouble--and perhaps a solution?

Wish I had more time to try things out, but not so at this time :cry:

Have been making Puppy-based virtual appliances for the ms-win crowd. Mostly to incomprehension...until viruses strike. Then I get a call.

Thanks!

moB

"See! Moby Dick seeks thee not.
It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"
H. Melville, The Whale (Moby Dick), 1851

Colonel Panic

#59 Post by Colonel Panic »

Roy wrote:
there aren't any hidden files in my root directory as far as I can see
There should be (see attached screenshot). If .pwidgets is missing from your root directory, that would explain why your widgets aren't working.

-Roy
Thanks for replying Roy. It's there, here are the contents of /root/.pwidgets;

clock_skins
configs
images
misc
plugins
profiles
pwidgets-exec
pwidgets-exec_conky
pwidgets-exec_xli
pwidgets-exec_xonclock
pwidgets-exec_xwinwrap
pwidgetsrc
scripts
sidebars
themes
tmp

BTW, Midnight Commmander shows up all the hidden directories that Rox filer doesn't (at least by default).

Roy

#60 Post by Roy »

Colonel Panic,

That is the same list of directories & files I am showing in /root/.pwidgets, too. Might I suggest that you PM me to set up an e-mail exchange to troubleshoot further? If we find the problem / fix, we can then post it to the forum.

I'm willing to stick by your side on this.... Boxpup 4.31 does run very well on my netbook (widgets and all) and is a good effort by Gray. (I will note that some of the coding in PWidgets need some additional polish which I gleaned from other posts scattered thoughout this forum, but these two or three things were minor and did not prevent pwidgets from running.)

moB,

I have zero experience with virtual box or multi-user puplets, but your problem might be with Thunar file manager (Pretty much a standard with the OpenBox window manager -- both in Boxpup). Other Puppy versions (without the "Box" reference to OpenBox) use ROX as a file manager, which supports symlinks. Thunar file manager, in my limited understanding, does not support symlinks by default. Hence, any programming symlinks added might not be persistent if they are made at all. This is only a best-guess from me -- a non-coding Puppy Linux end-user.

-Roy