BarryK
Puppy Master

Quirky 008 feedback

#1 Post by BarryK »

Grab Quirky 008 from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uirky-008/

Please do read the release notes:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... readme.htm

...some very interesting new features to play with!

Introduction to Quirky: http://bkhome.org/quirky/

Anything that you would like to post to make 009 that much better, please do...
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tronkel

#2 Post by tronkel »

Runs very well on this hardware, ATI Radeon 3450 AMD 2.4MHz processor.

ATI card was recognised from live CD.

eth0 was auto-detected OK

"de" keyboard layout although selected with the XORG wizard was not saved to xorg.conf so had to be manually edited.

When setting up wlan0 using Jemimah's Pwireless2 message-box appears showing only "no interfaces detected". I then manually created the file /usr/local/Pwireless2/interface with the text contents "wlan0".
Pwireless2 then started OK from the command line and also from the setup menu - but no access points displayed.

At that point I fired up Dougal's Network wizard which then saw and connected the correct access point.

I also had this problem in Quirky 006. After installing Jemimah's program in Quirky 006 and starting Pwireless2 from the command line, Jemimah's program worked after a few repeat attempts.

Will have to play further with this. I reckon Jemimah's prog is actually OK - maybe needs a tweak on booting so that the interfaces file actually gets created, and a correct Pwireless2 profile gets detected.

This is one amazing version of Puppy despite the small bugs.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

Just noticed, when the usb WLAN card is removed (Ralink using rt73usb module), the wlan Pwireless2 tray icon still shows green as if it was still connected. This should really be programmed so that the icon reverts to the (disconnected) red version.

Jemimah's program now also sees the wlan0 interface and access points.

tronkel

#4 Post by tronkel »

Also just noticed, eth0 although auto-detected while booting from live cd was not up when re-booting from a frugal install pup_save file. This meant having to reconnect to eth0 using Dougal's wizard again. Connected OK after this.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Keyboard layout important bugfix

#5 Post by BarryK »

tronkel,
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. There's a typo in /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.

For everyone who has a non-US keyboard layout, please read this!

After Xorg desktop has loaded, open /usr/sbin/xorgwizard in Geany and look at line 64:

Code: Select all

#read the console keymap (country layout), apply to xkb...
CONSKEYMAP="`cat /etc/keymap | cut -c 1-2`"
[ "$CONSKEYMAP" = "" ] && CONSKEYMAP="us"
case $CONSKEYMAP in
  az) XKEYMAP="fr" ;;     #azerty
  wa) XKEYMAP="fr" ;;     #wangbe
  dv) XKEYMAP="dvorak" ;; #dvorak
  cr) XKEYMAP="cz" ;;     #croat
  sl) XKEYMAP="si" ;;     #slovene v2.12 bugfix, changed from 'sk' to 'si' (sk is slovakia)
  sv) XKEYMAP="se" ;;     #sweden
  uk) XKEYMAP="gb" ;;     #united kingdom
  *)  XKEYMAP="$xCONSKEYMAP" ;;
esac
...that should be XKEYMAP="$CONSKEYMAP", not XKEYMAP="$xCONSKEYMAP" -- delete that "x" then save.

Exit from X, run 'xorgwizard', and then run 'xwin' to restart X, and all should be right.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

As you wrote on the blog you know about the quirky behavior if one have nVidia which I aparantly have due to black screen and I failed to get the vesa thing going so I wait for Q9 or something. No hurry at all. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

aarf

#7 Post by aarf »

whew what a relief :) quirky has not only taken-off he has disappeared into a mist of grey dust.

pwireless2 as pointed out still need work on the intergration into connect wizard..
pgprs-connect still cant be found in the menu after the first setup i.e. menus are not refreshed after setup: this the last time will point that out.
pgprs-connect does connect from a terminal.

xdelta6-8 file works fine.

ecube

#8 Post by ecube »

I have tested quirky008 on

1. Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Intel_r_Eaglelake_Graphics_ChipDELLE2210 1680x1050 resolution OK.
Printer: HP LaserJet P2014 (USB) OK, eth0 OK

2.Desktop: AMD Athlon 899 MHz
Printers: Okipage 14ex (LP1), Canon Pixma iP4600 (USB) both OK. wlan0

3. Laptop: Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz.
Quirky installed on a 4GB USB stick (no hard disk), wlan0

When setting up wlan0 ifor 2. and 3. I got the response
Pwireless2: Wireless interface not detected

Switching to Network Wizard the connection could be established without problems. I answered YES SET AS DEFAULT at the Network Connection Wizard window and rebooted the actual computer. Alas, no autoconnect. After reconnecting manually one or two times the old "NETWORK CONFIGURATION OF wlan0 SUCCESSFUL!" window appeared. Answering YES this time enabled autoconnect. The attached file contains the bootsysinit.log for the two cases.

I minor observation is that trying to change the number of Virtual Desktops was rejected on the two desktops, but was successful on the laptop.

There is nothing wrong with the PartView function, but it is my (strongly biased) opinion that the attached version is superior for slow computers with many disk partitions.
Attachments
bootsysinit.tar.gz
bootsysinit
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 726 times
Partview.pet
Free space in drives
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 762 times
JWM.jpg
Virtual Desktops
(6.48 KiB) Downloaded 2555 times

MinHundHettePerro

#9 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Just a small question.

How is the original third quirky idea (chroot inst. of switch_root) coming along?

rgds :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

mories

Ayttm not run

#10 Post by mories »

Ayttm fail to start, with messages:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'enchant::Exception'
what(): std::exception
Aborted

Edited: The problem is with locales other than en_US
Last edited by mories on Sun 07 Mar 2010, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

aarf wrote:pwireless2 as pointed out still need work on the intergration into connect wizard..
pgprs-connect still cant be found in the menu after the first setup i.e. menus are not refreshed after setup: this the last time will point that out.
pgprs-connect does connect from a terminal.
aarf,
One important feature of this new integrated networking is there are no longer arbitrary menu entries for individual network connection tools.

If you chose GPRS as the default tool, then you should have /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect with this in it:

#!/bin/sh
exec rxvt -title "pgprs-connect PRESS CTRL+C TO DISCONNECT" -e pgprs-connect
When you click on the 'connect' icon on the desktop, 'defaultconnect' script will run immediately.

...that's the idea anyway, the actual implementation has some rough edges, as this is just the "first take" at doing it.

Billtoo

Quirky 008 feedback

#12 Post by Billtoo »

My laptop has Broadcom wireless.. BCM4312 and it works fine in quirky008, my canon powershot A570 camera is also automatically detected in gtkam.
The laptop is an emachines D620 with amd processor at 1.6 GHz

tiangeng

Hi

#13 Post by tiangeng »

Computer fan loud and continued until I restart the computer. I suspect that the CPU usage is very high, may be a matter of fact I only just entered the X desktop.

invisible man

Nvidea Driver Source

#14 Post by invisible man »

Noticed today, new icon on the front page of Softpedia site; for new Nvidea drivers, for various hardware. Hope it is helpful. Quirky running great, but I have only used for about an hour or so. Invisible Man

8-bit

#15 Post by 8-bit »

Even though my frugal boot partition was mounted by default, I found that in both PBurn and Burniso2cd, I was unable to select anything from /mnt/home or for that matter, mnt/[partition containing frugal install].
I also checked /mnt for the existence of /mnt/home using ROX and it did not exist there.
Also, I mounted another partition and upon unmounting it the /mnt/directory for it stayed.

A pupsave file must be created before /mnt/home is available to programs.
Last edited by 8-bit on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#16 Post by aarf »

pwirelss2 problem looks to be the similar as for upup458 discussion starts here
temp solution by jemimah was to run

#/etc/init.d/Pwireless2
in a terminal to produce the required file /usr/local/Pwireless2/interface in quirky8

tronkel

#17 Post by tronkel »

As aarf pointed out in the last post, a work-around from Jemimah is to run /etc/init.d/Pwireless2.

On running this script from its folder location, I noticed that its permissions were set to non-executable, so fixed that in ROX and Pwireless2 ran fine.

I'm not sure just how feasible this would be to implement, but it would be ice cool if Pwireless2 could check for a plugged-in or hot-plugged usb wlan device and then offer to connect it. Maybe a UDEV event could be used to detect this.

If say Pwireless2 was being used on a netbook or laptop where the device is already built in, would also be cool if the boot script could detect the presence of such a device and then pop-up a dialogue just after boot time that offers to connect it - a la Ubuntu.

LOL I don't want much do I?
Last edited by tronkel on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

mawebb88

Feedback

#18 Post by mawebb88 »

I tried Q008 on my Acer Aspire 5100.

Similar probelms noted as reported earlier in this thread about WiFi connection wizards i.e. Jemimah's Pwireless2 message-box appears showing only "no interfaces detected" but Dougal's Network wizard worked ok.

But even though I had a working Internet connection e.g Google search worked, SM refused to load my Yahoo home page http://my.yahoo.com/. Needless to say its ok in 431 etc.

Rgds Mike

rameshiyer

Quirky 008

#19 Post by rameshiyer »

Live CD is not booting . It shows that "performing a Switch_root" to the layered file system--Kernel Panic' not sysc in". kindly advise me how to install or make to boot the quirky 008 in my PC. My PC configuration is Intel Q6600, 3GB RAM, Intel original Motherboard

aarf

Re: Quirky 008

#20 Post by aarf »

rameshiyer wrote:Live CD is not booting . It shows that "performing a Switch_root" to the layered file system--Kernel Panic' not sysc in". kindly advise me how to install or make to boot the quirky 008 in my PC. My PC configuration is Intel Q6600, 3GB RAM, Intel original Motherboard
either md5sum is wrong for the downloaded quirky.iso, or the cd didnt burn properly. If you are sure both of those are ok then drivers may be the problem. Someone else will need to advise you about drivers.
Last edited by aarf on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.