Hello

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
KF6SNJ

Hello

#1 Post by KF6SNJ »

Its been a while since I last logged in. I am working on trying to finish my bachelor of theology degree. Also, I am doing a lot of work with my old TI 99/4A computer, including trying to compile one of the various TI emulators (I may need to burn a copy of PCLinuxOS for the sake of a proper make enviroment) in order to create TiPup if I can. No promises, especially after the bust that ChurchPup: Concordia was. Totally my fault. Though it did give me some points to ponder. Namely, what is the real difference between a "christian" distro and a regular version of the same distro? I am not certain that I can answer that question, nor am I attempting to. Instead, I can try to answer the question of whether its possible to revive an obsolete OS and have run native from a Linux boot? No promises that this will work.

One last thing, I still have a precompiled copy of the gagware "MindGuard" that works on Puppy. I can create a tar.gz of it and upload it to my personal webpage if anyone wants a copy of it for a paranoid version of puppy.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

Welcome back. I visited your website and have a question.

What's "Christian Amateur Radio?"
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

nic2109

Re: Hello

#3 Post by nic2109 »

KF6SNJ wrote:Though it did give me some points to ponder. Namely, what is the real difference between a "christian" distro and a regular version of the same distro?
Such a sound question deserves an unsound answer: there is none. Sure it might have some content with a particular slant, but beyond that there can surely be no difference. If you believe anything at all about God then all truth must be God's truth, and if you believe anything at all about the Incarnation then whatever is good or true or well made or inspiring or useful is "Christian".

So I say that if you want to use your skills in God's service (however you see it) then don't try to make anything distinctly "Christian" but get involved with whatever flavour of Linux appeals and try to make a contribution.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

KF6SNJ

#4 Post by KF6SNJ »

I think that my main point was that software, regardless of the slant in which it was designed, is inherently secular. Such being the case, aside from an extremely complex AI that is actually capable of faith (which is inherently difficult to define because of its own complexity), a truly "christian" distro is impossible.

As for the question of "Christian Amateur Radio", its simply a way of designating that I am an Amateur Radio Operator who happens to be a "Christian". However, in all honesty, my life and what I profess don't always line up. In that regards, I am a hopeless sinner.

Lastly, what I am attempting, with null success currently, is to create a linux distro/puplet that fully emulates the TI 99/4A. So for, it is looking quite impossible. Still, no harm trying.

TI4Linux hasn't worked, nor has Sim99. Classic99 is windoze software, and I don't want to run an emulator to run an emulator. That is too much work.

KF6SNJ

#5 Post by KF6SNJ »

Incidentally, if I can make it work, it will be based upon MiniPup. However, I have my doubts that I can make it work, regardless.

bugman

#6 Post by bugman »

just don't call it 'isadora'
I can't help but admire Mint's clear look, its speed and things. That is really a very nice implementation of Ubuntu. Gloria became my main OS for every-day use (besides Windows). I am looking forward for the 9th version of Mint, but am worried about its name chosen by its developers ("isadora"). Could you change it to some more neutral name, while "a gift from [a goddess by the name of] Isis" isn't what I (and many other people of the Christian ranks) feel comfortable with. Thank you.
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 7#comments

KF6SNJ

#7 Post by KF6SNJ »

At this point, I'm not calling it anything. I say this for so far all attempts at compiling the ti4linux or sim99 have both failed. I don't know if its because of a limitation on the part of my other OS (PCLinuxOS) or a failure on my part to install the proper compiler software or both. I would argue both. I will keep trying, but I have no confidence I can get it to work.

WireWulf

#8 Post by WireWulf »

I just wonder if there is a god or if he is a made up figure to advance a deeping paranoid feeling that we humanity have no control

2ndly Welcome back

3rdly pclinuxos isn't my cup of tea but it is pretty much a liveCD debian so maybe try a newer copy of debian its self or get a different distro to replace it

4thly <<<i did this cuz it is annoying :P
are we who we think we are? or is this all a lie thought up by people whom we can not see?

KF6SNJ

#9 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am going to ask my wife to get a book for me about C+ (or C++) programming. I am going to try to learn how TI4Linux was coded and see if I can not try to rewrite it so that it will work. I would not attempt to write a TI emulator in COBOL (of course I am not the one that wrote it, I just want to make it work). Too much work (even more if I tried it in BASIC).

As for my RoboPup project, that is still on the back burner. I have some additional software to download and install. This is being done with CNCPup. That's another topic and will wait until its done.

KF6SNJ

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

KF6SNJ

#11 Post by KF6SNJ »

Lobster,

Thanks. I am going to take up RoboPup creation again soon. I have begun a partial list of software for it. I am also looking at two other possible puppy derivatives. One involves getting TI4Linux working. The other is just an idea based upon a version of Linux that has been discontinued. I don't know if I can even get it to work. I will likely work on it last.