Easy Install NO CD --Requires Windows & USB Key Access

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeslr

Easy Install NO CD --Requires Windows & USB Key Access

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Recently, someone asked about installing Puppy when you lack a CD Rom. My curiosity stimulated, I discovered, via well-minded search--

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html --

discussions on the forum regarding direct install from a downloaded ISO. Googling the web revealed LiveLinux USB Creator, which --although mentioned in passing a couple of times on this Forum-- had not been discussed. As it is extremely newby friendly, I thought it worth specifically noting. Don't let the following limitations put you off, if all you want do is create a bootable installation of Puppy on a USB Key LinuxLive USB creator is --as I said-- very newby friendly if you have access to a computer running Windoz. To create a bootable USB, LinuxLive USB creator can use either a CD, an ISO you've downloaded and will even offer to download the ISO for you. At your option, it can also install a portable version of VirtualBox, enabling the installation to be run without having to boot out of windows.

Limitations: (1) It is designed to create a bootable USB. If you look at the attached photo, you'll notice that the first thing you do is "Choose a USB Key." Clicking the down-arrow offers options to install to hard-drive partitions. Not wanting to screw-up anything on my hard-drives, I did not test that possibility beyond clicking it. That revealed that it may be possible to effect an installation to a partition already formatted as FAT or VFAt (FAT32). Whether you computer will then offer you that option to boot into that installation (or not boot at all) I leave to someone who has nothing to loose. Note, however, the Virtualbox option.
NOTE also, HOWEVER, that once the ISO has been unpacked to a USB Key, copying or moving those files required by Puppy to your hard-drive is easy, albeit you will then need a way to boot the installation.

(2) You will need access to a computer running Windoz. I have attempted to run it under Wine, and while the program starts, it is unable to locate the USB Key. Under Linux, everything is simply a file: a USB Key being a file found at, for example /mnt/sdb1. LinuxLive USB Creator works with partitions and under Wine recognizes only 2: the "C:" drive created by Wine, and the "Z:" drive being the rest of your system. There is no way to browse "Z:" drive to get to the USB Key.

(3) To make to USB Key bootable, LinuxLive USB creator installs syslinux to it. I have insufficient knowledge of the workings of Syslinux to know whether it can be modified to create a "multi-boot" USB Key.

Pendrivelinux.com provides a tutorial @
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-live ... more-3034
LinuxLive USB Creator can be downloaded from
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/downloads/?version=stable

mikesLr
Attachments
LinuxLive.jpg
(108.2 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

tlchost

Re: Easy Install NO CD --Requires Windows & USB Key Access

#2 Post by tlchost »

mikeslr wrote: (3) To make to USB Key bootable, LinuxLive USB creator installs syslinux to it. I have insufficient knowledge of the workings of Syslinux to know whether it can be modified to create a "multi-boot" USB Key.
It made a usb bootable drive and Puppy runs.

However, when I attempted to run virtualbox I got this message:

The virtual box modules do not match this version of Virtual Box.

sneekylinux

#3 Post by sneekylinux »

you have the wrong modules for it mate,not the right version

sneekylinux

#4 Post by sneekylinux »

and i have seen an img file for it somewhere....

tlchost

#5 Post by tlchost »

sneekylinux wrote:you have the wrong modules for it mate,not the right version
Well Bud, I have the modules the program downloaded....so if the modules are wrong, the application downloaded the wrong stuff.

If the application downloaded the wrong modules, then it's not going to be that helpful.

Thom

mikeslr

LiveUSB --VirtualBox Option not working-- mine did, sort of

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Don't know why your Virtualbox installation didn't work. Although my short-term memory is shot, I recall that when I first downloaded and ran LiveUSB Creator 2.4, out of curiosity I checked the VirtualBox option. I did not receive an error message. It created a VirtualBox folder and installed Puppy in it. Puppy ran, albeit slowly even though my computer runs @ 1.5ghz and has 2Gb Ram. I then deleted the folder because of that, but primarily because I've never been able to access the internet running any type of virtualware.

mikesLr