Puppy Stardust 011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#61 Post by James C »

Stardust 011 is still running fine......and I'm downloading the pre-alpha as I post this. 8)

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

technosaurus wrote:Stardust is 99% incorporated with the first pre-alpha of 4.4CE
I'll make an announcement tomorrow, but I am too tired now... so enjoy
http://puppy-development.googlecode.com ... -431-2.iso
LOL........ Never would have guessed :) (UK irony)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ttuuxxx

#63 Post by ttuuxxx »

technosaurus wrote:Stardust is 99% incorporated with the first pre-alpha of 4.4CE
stardust isn't the base is it? There's too many changes/files deleted, plus CE version are usually official versions, and should be able to be built with woof, where as Stardust from What I take of it isn't built with woof.
Some of the updated features would be good.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tasmod

#64 Post by tasmod »

I'm trying to sit on the fence here.
==

Ziggy has removed a lot of stuff from 4.3.1 to make Stardust

Now as far as I can tell this is to make room for his apps and changes of core apps as in 4.3.1. See his list on first page.
These are his personal preferences.

I don't think it can claim to be a 4.3.1 with cosmetic changes, too many changes have been made for that. Too much removed.

Perhaps its more accurate description is a new Puplet.

==

I'm with tuuxxx on this one regarding 4.4CE.

It should be based on 431 official also but if you want to incorporate Ziggys improvements to the menu etc structure, then be prepared for the iso to grow in size.

==

On a personal note -

I can never get my head around this obsession with 100mb. I would still be happy at 120mb or so and I don't think Puppy would suffer. Some nice features get dropped for sake of a few meg.
However, I can see we don't want a bloated Puppy.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

I can never get my head around this obsession with 100mb.
It all started when DSL determined to stick to 50Mb .iso so that the OS would fit on credit card CDs which were in vogue a few years back. Then the target became the 7cm miniCDs where the 100Mb limit would still permit some limited space for data, eg .sfs in this case. So there is/was a certain logic. Additionally, much of the world, including large sectors of the US and Oz outback are still on DUN. Even an 100Mb distro needs to be chopped up for those folks. In my opinion, insufficient effort is expended with many Puppy derivatives to keep the inventory low. SliTaz and TinyCore take the view that a few basic utilities and a browser with access to a good package manager are all that's needed to enable users to build a substantial system to suit their individual needs. Nevertheless, there is scope for 'compact' distros where the developers have carefully chosen a well-matched selection of apps. These are likely to appeal to neophytes.
Then, every engineer, even software ones, are taught the K.I.S.S. principle. As you know, the most elegant solutions to the most complex concepts are generally summarised in the simplest of fomulae; I am thinking particularly of E=mc^2 and 42 !

nooby

#66 Post by nooby »

technosaurus wrote:

Stardust is 99% incorporated with the first pre-alpha of 4.4CE
Oh pre-alpha of 4.4CE that sounds interesting.

Could you please see to that Firewall button works and uncheck the indexing in boot in Control Center.

What I love about Stardust is that it do the wired connection out of the box. On some puppies it is almost impossible to get wired going.

But I agree with others that to name it pup-431-2 seems to be misleading due to Stardust being so different from the pup-431Std that everybody is used to.

to name it pup-4.4CE seems okay with me.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tasmod

#67 Post by tasmod »

Am I missing something?

Nooby, I tried a fresh install and tried Firewall. It installed OK and then I went to services and it turned on and off OK.
===

Sage,

Ah, 42, I should have known 8)
Rob
-

tasmod

#68 Post by tasmod »

I think technosaurus's point there was that it was considered an update to 431 but in pre-alpha form.

Once finalised it would be released as 4.4CE which always seems to parallel BKs Puppy.

==

Sage,
You reminded me, I have a box of the mini DVD-R with 1.3gig capacity lying around.
I originally got them to hand out a few derivatives of Puppy but I got the boot system wrong and never moved further.
Maybe a time to try again.

At the moment my favourite version is Lighthouse Pup with Mariner and KDE2 although it can crash on closing occasionally (easy fix) It won't run KDE3 though, on my machine, that causes a screw up of the install.
Rob
-

zigbert

#69 Post by zigbert »

- Abiword 2.8.2
- Gnumeric 1.10
- Gparetd 0.5.1
- Fbreader
......and ONLY 98Mb - I AM IMPRESSED!!! :D :D :D

What would be the easiest way for you to updated the Stardust Desktop Environment? There are still some issues, and I will at least release 013 before switching to Puppy 4.4. Is it ok for you to get a zipped pack as the one in Stardust 011, or is there an easier way for you? You have a lot to do, so offering code the way YOU want it, is absolutely preferable.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#70 Post by technosaurus »

just a simple tarball is fine - I may eventually modify things just a bit anyways so that it starts up with the Orange theme and blue background preinstalled (complementary colors that contrast well) while the installer runs slightly more backgrounded
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#71 Post by zigbert »

`f00 wrote:Zig' remarked in the initial article on the pitb behavior of driveicons. Since p400, imo they've become less of a feature and perhaps more of an annoyance -
1) they need a roxpin .. not so good with other wms
Remember that Stardust Desktop Environment is built around JWM (and Rox). No chance to get it work in other wms

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Searchmonkey

#72 Post by zigbert »

bigpup wrote:Have you considered putting Searchmonkey in Stardust?
Considered it, but left it out.

Reason:
The default set of apps in Puppy is designed for average users (not geeks). 'Everyone' have their own unique needs, and will install some extended code. Personally, I would have changed several apps (gimp over mtpaint, inkscape over inklite, ardour over mhwaveedit....), but I don't think any of those fit in a Puppy iso.

Sigmund

zigbert

#73 Post by zigbert »

tasmod wrote: if you want to incorporate Ziggys improvements to the menu etc structure, then be prepared for the iso to grow in size.
Except of Pwidgets (220kb), the size of desktop tools/graphics is smaller in Stardust than in Puppy 4.3.1. In my opinion it both works better and looks nicer. :D

Sigmund

zigbert

#74 Post by zigbert »

tasmod wrote:I can never get my head around this obsession with 100mb. I would still be happy at 120mb or so and I don't think Puppy would suffer. Some nice features get dropped for sake of a few meg.
What do you miss?

Sigmund

zigbert

#75 Post by zigbert »

bigpup

puppy package manager color

#76 Post by bigpup »

Zigbert,

In Puppy package manager:

select configure package manager
select update now
see download databases

The font and background color, make it very hard to see the wording in this screen.(download databases)

Is your color themes causing this?
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 24 Feb 2010, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#77 Post by DaveS »

zigbert wrote:
tasmod wrote:I can never get my head around this obsession with 100mb. I would still be happy at 120mb or so and I don't think Puppy would suffer. Some nice features get dropped for sake of a few meg.
What do you miss?

Sigmund
Well, I think the obsession with Seamonkey when the rest of the free word uses Firefox is size driven. Dont misunderstand me, Seamonkey is fine, but it does put us out on a limb a bit.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

technosaurus

#78 Post by technosaurus »

If mozilla had been able to allow the new firefox and thunderbird (as well as many others) to be built using a shared libxul and run as "xulrunner apps" as originally planned, then there would be less need for seamonkey. Right now that is a work in progresse AFAIK - unless it has been abandoned atltogether. Fortunately sm and ff do share much more of the same base and through the "user agent" switcher you can get to many of the same sites that "require" firefox. Seamonkey is also fully themable so you can have it mimick firefox, opera, ie, pretty much anything you want if get the addons or you are willing to spend the time.

As for the 100MB size, although it predates google code, that is also the google code file size limit and many other file sharing sites. (limited file size traded for unlimited bandwidth)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

prehistoric

firewall help

#79 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

Really new users may need a little more guidance about the firewall. When checking out new DSL/broadband connections, you may need to leave the firewall off so the technicians at the other end can see your machine. The Puppy firewall defaults to a kind of stealth mode which ignores pings, instead of rejecting them.

Assuming you don't have an ISP which insists you can only run Windoze, you may just need to leave the firewall off long enough to confirm that you can connect to a safe site while the on-site technician is at your location. This gives them a warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing what is going on. (This is an illusion, but important nonetheless.) Explaining stealth-mode firewalls and non-standard Linux to your average installer is a good way to end up with a report that you are up to something sneaky, or insistence that you need commercial support, at higher rates.

I should explain that in the U.S. most people probably get their broadband from the cable TV company. Those who get DSL from a telephone company, (and there are many competing companies,) are dealing with technicians expected to add computer networking on top of all they are supposed to know about maintaining wired lines for telephones. (Currently, telephone companies with legal requirements to maintain existing networks are in a bind, and short of money for either maintenance or innovation.) We here have some memorable stories about the caliber of technician who may show up when we need help with a computer connection. And, I've already mentioned what can happen if you order ISDN. (Did you know Scott Adams, who draws Dilbert, got his business experience, and a considerable part of his cynicism, while working on ISDN at a large, otherwise successful, telephone company?)

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:

- Abiword 2.8.2
- Gnumeric 1.10
- Gparetd 0.5.1
- Fbreader
......and ONLY 98Mb - I AM IMPRESSED!!! :D :D :D

Sigmund
...and jrb's sfs_linker and links to er... .tcl files... (hint: change the extension to .sfs :wink: ). Icecat is running beautifully.

edit: woops, sorry ziggy, didn't see 4.4 thread... but, while I'm here, a bug..

Code: Select all

<Group>
<Class>jwm-applet</Class>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>layer:1</Option>
</Group>
layer:1 is missing, or did you change it?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access