VMPK works on... Ms, Mac, Linux (Solved)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
nooby

VMPK works on... Ms, Mac, Linux (Solved)

#1 Post by nooby »

By accident I hit upon virtual midi piano something that claimed to work on all three.

http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/

I have not dared to test it other than in windows and it worked good there.

Am I misunderstanding something. How can it work on so different OS?

ahh now I get it. the site has some kind of script that sense what browser and most likely what OS I ahve because when in windows it showed the windows file to download but now in puppy linux it show this that I ahd no knowledge of yesterday.

Download

You can find the latest sources, Windows, and Mac OSX packages at SourceForge project site.

There are also ready to install Linux packages for:

* openSUSE, from the openSUSE Build Service
* Debian
* Ubuntu
* Arch Linux
* Pardus
* Gentoo
* Zenwalk

Which of these packages would work for puppy NOP?
For Puppy Stardust?

Barry has made a unique product with Puppy? it is not really 100% compatibel is it? That is why we have Upup and Dpup and Slaxpup and whathaveyou in the line of production going?

would be cool to get this VMPK going in Puppy too.
Any kind suggestion what would work?
Last edited by nooby on Mon 22 Feb 2010, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ttuuxxx

Re: programs that works on all platforms. Ms, Mac, Linux

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

nooby wrote:By accident I hit upon virtual midi piano something that claimed to work on all three.

ahh now I get it. the site has some kind of script that sense what browser and most likely what OS I ahve because when in windows it showed the windows file to download but now in puppy linux it show this that I ahd no knowledge of yesterday.

Download

You can find the latest sources, Windows, and Mac OSX packages at SourceForge project site.

There are also ready to install Linux packages for:

* openSUSE, from the openSUSE Build Service
* Debian
* Ubuntu
* Arch Linux
* Pardus
* Gentoo
* Zenwalk

Which of these packages would work for puppy NOP?
For Puppy Stardust?

Barry has made a unique product with Puppy? it is not really 100% compatibel is it? That is why we have Upup and Dpup and Slaxpup and whathaveyou in the line of production going?

would be cool to get this VMPK going in Puppy too.
Any kind suggestion what would work?
That app shouldn't be hard, I'm not using QT right now but VMPK uses QT4.4+, So if your not experienced at compiling, get the QT4.4 from the forum, there a few packages, then find it made on debian or ubuntu http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 2_i386.deb
extract the package and make a pet and install it, hmmm too bad you gave up on 2.14X, It has QT4.6 and installs deb packages just like pets :),
Dpup should be able to run it also
ttuuxxx

PS The Best Universal apps are Java based, then I would say QT is next.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52740 <---java and apps
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Thanks, I guess me should get Dpup going again then. :)

I set it solved.

DMcCunney

Re: (Solved) programs that works on... Ms, Mac, Linux

#4 Post by DMcCunney »

nooby wrote:By accident I hit upon virtual midi piano something that claimed to work on all three.

It's possible, but not easy. Consider Firefox. When Netscape Communications started the Mozilla project to create the replacement for their aging Netscape Communicator 4 suite, one of the specifications was that it would be cross platform. The code would need to build an run on a wide variety of OSes. Portable code written in C or C++ is possible but by no means easy. You have to isolate the stuff that is hardware and OS dependent from the rest of the code, and write code that will compile on all targeted systems. There's an amusing engineering document on Mozilla's development site dating from back then, with some basic cautions for developers on what they need to do to make sure their code is portable, starting with "Just because it works on Windows using Microsoft Visual C++, don't assume it will work elsewhere. Each C++ compiler is different, and they don't all support the same constructs." (The C++ compiler provided by HP on Precision Architecture RISC machines running HP-UX was apparently a particular challenge, as stuff that worked everywhere else would not compile using it.)

Mozilla code is highly portable, and there are third party builds for Sun RISC boxes running Solaris, IBM's OS/2, HP machines running HP-UX, and former DEC hardware running OpenVMS among others. But getting there was a challenge.

The most portable code will be Java, designed to be "Write once, run anywhere" Java compiles to a tokenized binary format called bytecode, which is executed by the Java Virtual Machine. Java code is targeted at the JVM, and is always the same regardless of what you built it on. You can write and compile Java under Windows and expect your code to run on a Mac or a Linux box. The JVM on the target machine hides the hardware differences. Of course, this requires you to have a Java Virtual Machine running on the target box, and the JVM is not small or lightweight.

If you aren't writing in Java, it's more of a challenge. You are probably required to use C or C++, which are available for just about every device now, and face the chore mentioned above of separating the stuff that is hardware or OS dependent from the rest of the code. The makefile specifies compiling the right dependent portions for the target machine.

GUI apps are a special challenge because of the number of different GUIs out there. Windows, Mac OS/X, and Linux have very different windowing systems which require different code. We are seeing GUI toolkits being ported to different architectures, and you can get things like Gtk and Qt for Windows as well as Linux.

I run a package called Cygwin under Windows. Cygwin is an effort to port the Gnu/Linux toolchain to the Win32 environment. Rather than rewrite every Gnu tool to use Windows system calls instead of *nix system calls, the Cygwin developers write a POSIX compatibility layer with the most used *nix calls and encapsulated it in a DLL. *nix code built under Cygwin links against the DLL, sees the routines it expects to see, and builds successfully. (There is an implementation of X-Windows for Cygwin, and a beta version of KDE that runs under Windows using Cygwin.) The Cygwin effort includes just about all of the normal Gnu/Linux tools and utilities, including the Gnu Compiler suite and the Bash shell.

Because GCC splits the compiler into a back end code generator and a front end parser, it's possible to write and compile code under Windows that is intended to be run on something else, like Linux. You specify the target architecture when you do your build.
______
Dennis

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Thanks for the interesting descrption. Yes that is a challenge. I tried to learn C++ around 1990 but had to give up, my brain is not that sharp.

Congrat to the cygwin thing. I tried to get that one and the coolinux thing going on my xp but failed and opted for the Ulteo version instead.

But then I longed for going Puppy again but it didn't have the out of the box I needed back in December 2009 so I tried both regular Mint and then SuperOS and then Mint KDE CE version but that one crashed and none of them could save on NTFS all needed Fat32 or Ext files.

So I decided to go back to puppy and find the best puppy available and use that one.

I four or five version of puppy now.

1.Pup431NOP
2. Dpup
3. pup Stardust 011
4. Choicepup

which I am using now.
I want Upup going too but the description to get it going was rather elaborate so that will be maybe on wednesday. I do experiment on choicepup tomorrow