SageLive - Mathematic software Pupplet

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
emil

SageLive - Mathematic software Pupplet

#1 Post by emil »

INFO: There is a new version of this software available - read here
-------------
I made a new version of my Sage Pupplet, based on the brand new Sage 4.6 release and shinobars Quickset edition release.

Sage aims to be a viable open source and free alternative to Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, Magma etc....

Download ISO image
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... -46-r3.iso

md5sum-r3.txt
readme.txt

The core of sage is based on the "python-family" libraries, like numpy, sympy, scipy but it allows for fast execution using compiled code with "cython". Other free packages are included over special interfaces, e.g. R, Maxima, Pari.

Beside sage I included also the sage html documentation (incl. Tutorial and FAQ) in the iso, and also the jsmathfonts for nice rendering of formulas. I choose seamonkey browser buy default and removed midori (althoug you can load other browser over quickpet anytime). The sage software was downloaded as Ubuntu binaries and just unzipped into Lupq quickset edition - a good example of the power of woof.

Some problems with previous version should be fixed:
Easier set up and country/keyboard Wizard at startup
Partial localisation (english, french, german, spanish, japanese?) due to the excellent effort of shinobar and others.
Compatibility with older processors should be better (Compiled with FAT_BINARIES option)

I removed Latex, Octave, Lyx and Tecmax. This makes the iso smaller.

I tested it in my dual core desktop with 1GB RAM, and in a virtual machine with 768 MB RAM.

of course:
Credits Sage W. Stein and the community.
Credits puppy linux to BarryK, playdayz, micko01, shinobar and the community!

emil

---------------------- Previous Version, March 2010 --------------------------

Hi,
I spent some time with mathematic software recently. Beside others I came across the Sage Project. It's mission goal is to provide a complete open source alternative to the "big players" in that field, i.e. Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, Magma.

It glues together various existing open source packages, as a result is a rather heavy heap of software (uncompressed over 1 GB).

I figured that Puppy Linux would be a very good technology platform to carry this big package and still keep it at a reasonable size (and speed). A usable Live CD - the current Ubuntu version is really minimalistic - or a working USB version would make this ambitious project much more easily distributable. The Iso contains:
  • Puppy Linux 431
    Sage
    Sage Documentation & Tutorial
    Latex & Lyx Editor
    Octave
    Gnuplot
Download Mirrors
Alternative:
Download SageLive

I think the end result runs with acceptable performance. I have no comparisons of the hardware requirements of other installations, but I think that this version will run fine on "low end" equipment. I could test it with 1 GB RAM and 1,6GHz. It might be possible to go as low as 512 MB Ram - but then surly some Swap space is required.

This project was an interesting learning experience for me (Wallpapers, Menu, Desktopicons, initrd.gz, Memory issues, Swapspace). If anybody likes it I would be happy.

Emil

PS: I came about this interesting personal history of the Sage project(from W. Stein, main creator of the project)

PPS: to make setting up swapspace easier I wrote a swapwizard script to assist user in creating swapspace. It is localised in the /etc/rc.d directory. Currently it is not called automatically, but the idea is to include that later.

Screenshot appended
Attachments
Screenshot_Sage_web.jpg
(77.67 KiB) Downloaded 2131 times
Last edited by emil on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:22, edited 7 times in total.

emil

Download from official Sage Mirror available

#2 Post by emil »

The Sage team made this Puplet available from their official mirrors

http://www.sagemath.org/download-livecd.html
Last edited by emil on Tue 23 Feb 2010, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#3 Post by Roy »

emil,

Which keyboard configuration is loaded by default in SageLivePup? I haven't really had the time to play with this as much as I'ld like yet.

-Roy

emil

Keyboard

#4 Post by emil »

Roy,

if booted for the first time, it should ask you for the keyboard as well as the screenresolution like a normal puppy - If not it is a bug :wink: .

My keyboard is a german "quertz" setup, so if y and z are swapped on your keyboard there is a screw up in the iso. Please tell if it is working correctly or not...

-emil

Roy

#5 Post by Roy »

emil,

No setup questions apart from the Xorgwiyard ßß and zes, mz kezboard is not correct. Using an old Dell )centrino= with a U.S. kezbaord and 2GB of RAM.

Md5sum checked good on downloaded iso.

ßRoz

Roy

#6 Post by Roy »

AFTER USING Setup:Configure Puppz for zour countrz: Choose kezboard lazout for zour countrz, I get this.

Mazbe I have to restart JWM_ I am running in LiveCD mode.

ßRoz

EDITED LATER: Emil, I did choose the U.S. keyboard during this attempt. Don't want you to think this post was only a partial test....
Last edited by Roy on Fri 19 Feb 2010, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#7 Post by Roy »

emil,

AFTER USING Setup>Change the mouse and keyboard>Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration>Keyboard model>Dell, everything is once again correct in my piece of the world. Restarting JWM or the Xserver was not necessary.

-Roy

EDIT: Emil, may I suggest that you set the background to Stretched Mode by default? The computer I am currently using has a 1024x768 screen (not a widescreen) and, well, first impressions and all.... might make a big difference to new users who don't already know how to manipulate the background.

emil

#8 Post by emil »

Hello Roy,

thank you for your feedback. I will try to correct those "showstopper" issues. Especially since the iso is already on the official sage servers for download.

I guess I have to remaster again, or is it somehow possible to
edit the pup431.sfs (maybe mount somewhere and then mksfs) ...

if you have some other suggestions, would be great!
emil

jamesbond

#9 Post by jamesbond »

Hi Emil,

I saw somewhere in sage mailing list that you upload a SageLive_Full.iso, which I have already downloaded. What would be the difference between that and the one in Sage's download mirror (SageLivePupv02.iso)?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

emil

#10 Post by emil »

The first one was a alpha version which loads completley to ram using the original puppy initrd.gz. This could give Problems since the memory management is made for an OS around 100 MB and not for the 700 MB package.

e.g. if you have 1 GB Ram, then the "Full" version is completely loaded and partially unzipped. starting sage notebook caused crashes. This can be partially fixed by providing swap space manually (either swap partition or swap files), however this is a second rate solution and I didn't regard it acceptable for a Live CD which is targetted at first time users.

In the current SageLivev02.iso (I regard it as a beta version), I had changed the initrd.gz, so it is only loaded completely to RAM if more the 1.5 GB are found. However I had some feedback on the sage-support forum, that loading time for 700 MB is too long so I will probably go for a noram default in my final release.

There are already some known minor bugs, please refer to the thread in the sage-support google group. I would appreciate any feedback.

cheers
emil

charlie6

#11 Post by charlie6 »

Hallo emil !
many thanks for the idea and this iso !
have downloaded it and checked the md5sum OK!
burned on a CD with burniso2cd...verified OK
aftrwds, booted from live cd on PIV 1,5MBRam 2,5GHz
BUT:
the setup does not even ask to set up the keyboard ; and as Roy reported it already, it seems default us keyboard configured. Trying to use keyboard/mouse setup wizard to another locale does not help.

Moreover, clicking on sage console icon let a rxvt terminal displayed one fourth of second and disappear.
Only sage doc icon opens seamonkey on the sage doc.

Thanks for any advice about this?
Cheers, Charlie

emil

#12 Post by emil »

Hi,

charly thanks for feedback.

the keyboard issue is known bug. Use Roys method or edit the textfile
/etc/keymap
I am not sure but I think this is a bug in Puppy I found something on
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=180
page 13 bottom: /usr/lib/local is not cleaned while remastering.

Not sure about the sage console: this should work:
have you tried to open console (rxvt), then type sage?
It could be a memory issue - what does the "free" command" give for
RAM and Swap?

emil

jfv

#13 Post by jfv »

Hi,

I am using a EEEPC 2G Surf with 512MB of RAM and I can boot into your puppy but sage doesn't run. I also have keyboard issues but I am sure those are easy to fix with the info on this thread.

emil

#14 Post by emil »

Hi jfv,

512 MB RAM is really small for sage, compressed into a sfs it is 400 MB and uncompressed approx. 1,5 GB.

Have you swapspace available? What does the command "free" give.

if you have 0 swapspace you could follow the brief instructions which show if you klick the help icon on the desktop.

in this thread I published a prototype of a shell script which should automatically create swap space.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0f6691cf21

I plan to include that script in my next release of the SagePup.

Anyway, I think that 512 MB is really minimal to run sage. please report your experiences! (Maybe you have the option to add some RAM?)

emil

jfv

#15 Post by jfv »

Hi, emil,

Thanks for your reply. I also tried the ubuntu based sage live cd. An old one that they had works fine on my laptop but the newer one seems to have the same problem as yours, not enough RAM. I'll have to create a swap file in the SD card but that is not a great solution. This laptop is a very cheap one and the RAM is not upgradeable. I need to get a new laptop.

Thanks again.

emil

SageLivePup08.iso

#16 Post by emil »

Hi,

I have uploaded SageLive-431.iso (699 MB)
to
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/SageLiveCD/
md5sum is in file md5sum.txt

Features:
Sage 431 incl. Latex support
Full Sage Html Doc and Tutorial
All Programs of Puppy 431 (Abiword, Gnumerics, Seamonkey ....... )
Lyx Latex Document Processor and TeXmac environment
Additional Math tools: Gnuplot, Octave

I have tried to address most issues of the old version.

a) I hope It has a working boot graphic

b) It should ask after keyboard and localisation during boot

c) gamma correction is working in the Xorgwizard menu (using Xgamma gui from forum member Panzerkopf)

d) most important a fix for memory allocation from Barry K is added in the initrd.gz. (thx to forum member technosaurus)

e) a noram bootoption was added to force skip loading pup_431.sfs to Ram (even if enough Ram is found). This will give faster boot time, but will block your CD drive. (from forum member Pizzasgood)

f) I compiled TexMacs as an additional Latex editor. It is possible to call a Sage session from inside TexMacs, giving you nicely formated latex output!

e) Since TexMacs uses guile (Scheme) implementation, this programming language is available.

f) Following a request from H. Shilly, I added the jsmathfonts package to the sage install.

g) I implemented a scriptfile which tries to allocate swapspace in swapfiles automaticly on hard disks, but only if needed. (swapwizard.sh in /usr/bin)

h) bling issue: I switched to the infinity.jpg as standard background

For serious work you should have >= 1 GB RAM (+ some swapspace)
hope it works for you - I couldn't test it very much, it worked on my desktop (1GB Ram) and on my Laptop
emil

Known bugs:
swapwizard "-win" option is not working, there are some [ ] brackets missing in the script file. This means, pagefile.sys is not used as swapfile.

Thanks to Ken for feedback and bug report!
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(43.26 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
Last edited by emil on Thu 17 Jun 2010, 08:38, edited 2 times in total.

Q5sys

#17 Post by Q5sys »

got something you might want to test to see if it works with your puplet.

I made it originally for LightHousePup, but it seems to fit right in with what you are doing.
The SciLab suite
I already packaged it as an SFS.
http://lhpup.org/team/Q5sys/scilab-5.2.2.sfs
http://lhpup.org/team/Q5sys/scilab-5.2.2.sfs-md5.txt

Might duplicate the functionatlity you already have, but it also might offer a bit more. I made it a SFS because its 118MB, and figured I could load and unload that whenever I needed.
If it works for you, feel free to bundle it with your setup.

emil

Scilab

#18 Post by emil »

hi Q5sys,

thanks for the scilab sfs! I also posted a short link to the sfs at the Mathbase thread.
kind regards
emil

superchook

SageLivePup Mathematic software powered by Puppy Linux

#19 Post by superchook »

I downloaded SageLivePup08.iso (699 MB) from

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/

The md5sum of the downloaded iso image agreed with the in file md5.txt but Cds burnt from this iso image would not boot. The CDs contained the files boot.cat, boot.msg, initrd.gz, isolinux.cfg, pup_431.sfs, help.msg, isolinux.bin, logo.16, vmlinuz.

I copied all the files except boot.cat into a directory on my Ubuntu box and generated a new iso image with the command

genisoimage -r -o SageLivePup08.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 Puppy/Sage/

(The files were in the directory Puppy/Sage)

A CD of the new iso image began to boot OK but stopped with an error message to the effect that the file pup-431.sfs did not exist. After re naming the file in Puppy/Sage correctly and re generating the image I had a bootable iso image. (An alternative fix would have been to change the initrd.gz to look for pup_431.sfs)
I haven't tried any of the apps yet.

cheers,
Ken

emil

broken iso?

#20 Post by emil »

Superchook, sorry for the inconvenience.
I have very limited internet access at the moment (and at the time I uploaded the iso), so I did limited tests myself. Since the iso is on the official sage download server now for some months I wonder if this is really an error in the iso - I had no negative feedback up to this point.

Maybe the problem is related with this info bit from barry kauler
http://www.puppylinux.com/install.htm (the red part on bottom)
It is something about missing juliet extensions.

I will look if somebody from sagemath can check the iso.

kind regards
Emil

PS:I hope other stuff is working as expected ...