Problems with Puppy and Debian on ext3

Please post any bugs you have found
Germanpup

Problems with Puppy and Debian on ext3

#1 Post by Germanpup »

dunno if this is a bug. just want to let the community know that i experienced severe problems with this setting.
machine: amd k6 400 MHz, 320 MB RAM. hda: 20 GB ext3 one partition only w/ debian (knoppix style) installed as " all to /"
hdb: older 1,5 GB totally used as swap (no probs)
puppy: running from cd as pup001 (extended to 1 GB) as "megapuppy" w/ usr_more.sfs including kde, open office.
what happened in this setting was that the ext3 partition on hda1 got totally messed up leaving puppy as well as debian unusable. dunno if it happened while resizing pup001 or when fiddling around /mnt/home from puppy in order to install xampp so it could be used from puppy as well as from debian.
anyway I am using tis very setting right now with one difference: I made hda1 a reiserfs (as recommended by debian anyway), did the same things (resized pup001 and everything else): no problems so far.
just wondering if anyone had experiences like this, I doubt that it is even a bug within puppy, maybe i blew it myself trying e2fsck to rescue the fs ...
www.weiss-lampertheim.de
built and maintained with Puppy!

jmarsden

#2 Post by jmarsden »

One of my Puppy machines has an 8 partition (!) /dev/hda with Fedora Core 4 on it, among other things, and I have pup001 on an ext3 partition there (well, actually, I have multiple pup001's on multiple ext3 partitions... Puppy 1.0.7 menu option 3 get used to pick among them!). I've done some pup001 resizing, and have added usr_devx.sfs (but not usr_more.sfs). I've seen no ext3 fs corruption issues resulting from all of this.

I suggest you try to reproduce the issue. If you can reliably cause the corruption using Puppy, post the steps it takes, so others can duplicate it and probably fix it. If it was just a one time thing you can't reproduce... well, most likely noone else can reproduce it either :-)

Jonathan

Germanpup

#3 Post by Germanpup »

basically you're right. but I'm not tearing down my system again to try to reproduce it ... ;-)
probably a bug in my brain rather than in Puppy anyway
www.weiss-lampertheim.de
built and maintained with Puppy!