How to make Java work in 4.3.1?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
james_owen

How to make Java work in 4.3.1?

#1 Post by james_owen »

Hi folks, so I've been using puppy for about 2 years. I'm a computer admin and I just can't get java to work, maybe someone can tell me why. I use puppy 4.3.1 for all of our internet systems and I can't get java to run on any of them.

Hardware is either Dell Dimension 2200, 2300, or 2400 series computers. All have 256MB of RAM. Since the setup is probably what is causing the misconfiguration I want to go over how I install Puppy and see if I need to change me install procedure. The intent is for puppy to be installed by itself, not dual booting or anything.

I erase the Hard drive with DBAN, an then boot puppy 4.3.1 off the live CD
I use gparted to write an ms-dos disk label, and partition the hard drive like so:

/dev/sda1/ - ext2 - most of the Hard Drive
/dev/sda2/ - linux-swap - usually about 1 GB

Then I run the universal installer and do a FULL install to sda1
I then install grub to the master boot record
I then shut town the live install disregarding my changes.

Upon reboot, Puppy 4.3.1 starts off the hard drive and I set up mouse, Xorg and the eithernet adapter.

Now, I've tried installing java many different ways, including using the java.pet file (most recently version 17) and downloading the linux version from the java website and installing manually.

I'd like to troubleshoot the .pet if possible. After I run the .pet file, a java folder is created under /usr/ that contains the bin files and the plugins

libjavaplugin_oji.so 's path is /usr/java/plugin/i386/ns7

As near as I can tell, seamonkey is installed in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.18 but there are some configuration shortcut files for it under ~/.mozilla

there's a relavitve symbolic link to libjavaplugin_oji.so in the folder ~./mozilla/plugins

Now when I start seamonkey and enable java, if I click on Abour-Plugins I get the list of plugins , there's a bunch of entrees for gxine and scalable vectors etc and then I also get an entree for java but here's the thing, after all the mime type descriptions where it says suffixes, there are no entrees for java, just blanks, whereas the flash listings have swf and spl listed under suffixes.

I think that it's either not putting the oji file in the right place or the info in the oji is currupted and not pointing back to the folder where seamonkey is.

Anyway if I try to load a java page the java_vm program starts but nothing else happens and the browser freezez until I kill it with pprocess.

Whats going on here? Can anyone help?

#2 Post by 106498 »

Have you enabled java in seamonkey (or whatever browser you're using)?
Also maybe try using a different browser.
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

james_owen

#3 Post by james_owen »

106498 wrote:Have you enabled java in seamonkey (or whatever browser you're using)?
Yes, I have followed previous tutorials step by step and have not found the solution to my problem. I have enabled java in seamonkey and also installed firefox etc with no luck. I'm thinking that maybe my install of puppy must not be what's normally done, and as a result the paths in the pets etc are not the same.

People that have java working, are you doing a frugal install or a full install etc?

james_owen

#4 Post by james_owen »

oh and another clue maybe to whats going on is that the pet installs the java control panel in the puppy menu and I can click on it and open it, under general the network settings button and temporary internet files settings buttons are missing.

DMcCunney

Re: Java Installation Help

#5 Post by DMcCunney »

james_owen wrote: Whats going on here? Can anyone help?
Java works for me in Puppy, installed from a PET.

But as an alternative, Sun offers a Linux version of Java as a self-extracting binary. It might be a solution for your problem.

Look here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
______
Dennis

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

James,

Try doubling the amount of RAM in one of the machines to see what happens. It probably won't make any difference, but it's easy to do. :)

For what it might be worth, I believe the universally observed convention is that partitions on a hard disk start at the periphery of the disk and go in toward the center. Stuff at the beginning of sda1, closest to the disk periphery, should read/write at a faster rate than stuff in sda2, closer to the center of the disk. Your swap memory is probably rarely used, but still, it might perform better as sda1. Your swap partition is so small that moving it to the periphery of the disk shouldn't make a noticeable difference to how sda2 performs.

furryfriend

Java in 4.3.1

#7 Post by furryfriend »

I had just burned a new 4.3.1 iso early this morning to check out a problem in another post, I've tried a brand new 4.3.1 frugal install with SM 1.1.8.

check about:plugins=no java :wink:

installed this
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=15

close and restart SM then checked java installed and version on java website.
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

teh ORACLE says yes but not the most up to date version

check #java -version in a terminal window
java version "1.6.0_17"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.3-b01,mixed mode,sharing)

check a web page with java applet
http://www.freechess.org/Login/jin/applet.php - found this - runs ok and is v neat

check a java application
http://www.ultramixer.com/download.html - found this - runs ok and is vv neat :0 *bops to choonz*

check Puppy Menu- Java Control Panel-
General Tab
Network Settings - Network Settings button -launches dialog...
Temporary Internet Files - Settings button and View button - launches dialog...

so all would seem to work OK with THIS pet.

AFAIK there's no difference in the file structure between a full or frugal installation that would interfere. You did not mention which .pet you had used maybe this is the source of your problem, the greyed or missing buttons in the Java Control Panel would seem to indicate something gone wrong with installation.

DMcCunney

#8 Post by DMcCunney »

james_owen wrote:
106498 wrote:Have you enabled java in seamonkey (or whatever browser you're using)?
Yes, I have followed previous tutorials step by step and have not found the solution to my problem. I have enabled java in seamonkey and also installed firefox etc with no luck. I'm thinking that maybe my install of puppy must not be what's normally done, and as a result the paths in the pets etc are not the same.

People that have java working, are you doing a frugal install or a full install etc?
I guess the next question is "How do you know it's not working?"

Forget what FF or SM say in the about dialogs. Go to a site that requires Java. What happens?

I run Puppy in a Full install. Java installs in /usr/java/bin. There's a /usr/bin/java entry which is a symlink to /usr/java/bin/java, an ELF binary which starts the JVM.

SeaMonkey 1.18 lists Java as a plugin from Help/About:Plugins, but like you, I show no suffixes in the plugin list. That's okay, as I don't assume there would be any. What suffixes do you think should be there? Java isn't like Flash, HTML, or other things that might be accessed in a browser which will have specific file extensions.

Go to http://ww.java.com, and click on the "Do I have Java?" link.

After up to a minute, you should see a Verified Java Version message. I just did so in SM 1.18, and it said I had Version 6, Update 18 installed, which is current.

(No need to fuss about the absolute latest version. Figure you want at least v1.5, as most current Java code is written to use features available in that version.)

Very few web sites I visit require Java, but Java works fine locally running things like IBM's Eclipse programmer's IDE, which is written in Java.

I suspect Java is installed fine, and you're getting confused by not seeing stuff in Mozilla's About: dialogs that you wouldn't see in any case because they aren't meaningful in that context.
______
Dennis