SeaMonkey upgrade problem

Please post any bugs you have found
8-bit

SeaMonkey upgrade problem

#1 Post by 8-bit »

On Puppy 431, I recently upgraded to SeaMonkey 2.0 which in turn upgraded itself to SeaMonkey 2.02.
Now if I try to access a man file using the internet by typing 'man [program name] at a terminal prompt, I get an error of libgtkembedmoz.so not found.
And my Seamonkey-1.1.18 library directory has dissapeared.
I did not manually delete it.
Also, I tried copying the complete SeaMonkey-1.1.18 library from Puppy 431 and that did not help as I would get an internal error from moz.
So now what?

My temporary fix is to edit /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer to use /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey instead of gtkmoz.

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

It may turn out that all my problems are associated with a corrupt pupsave file. Since the previouis post, I have had other supporting files just disappear. I also ran xfprotect and AVAST on the PC and nothing was found as to viruses.

starlyte

i had the same

#3 Post by starlyte »

I went to an old pup_save which had SM-1.1.5 in and the required libray was there . I copied it to /usr/lib and now no missing libs for gtkmoz etc.
Good luck!!

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

I had tried that and then I got an error of an internal function of the library file. I ended up restoring from a previously backed up pupsave file and that took care of that problem.
But another problem was also found with another utility.
I am living with that for now until I bite the bullet and reinstall Puppy.
Also, I was running a beta version of Puppy 431 SCSI.

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

I have my pupsave file backed up using the nice backup program for frugal installs.
I went to try to update SeaMonkey to version 2.02 by installing SeaMonkey-Beta2.pet.
I removed my install of SeaMonkey 2.0 before doing so and even though SeaMonkey 2.1 beta updated itself to SeaMonkey 2.02, it broke PuppyBrowser.
SeaMonkey-2.0-I486.pet would not update itself.
SeaMonkey-Beta2.pet would, but broke PuppyBrowser.
SeaMonkey-2.01.pet looked like an install from internet type of pet.

I could try downloading the SeaMonkey 2.02 tar.gz from the site and see if that worked.

But here is a question for you.
Does anyone that has SeaMonkey 2.02 running able to have the HELP icon work and not Break PuppyBrowser?

Or...... Can you suggest what SeaMonkey pet I should try to install that will not break PuppyBrowser?
I still have my pupsave backup to fall back on if things get screwed up.

dawnsboy

#6 Post by dawnsboy »

Support for the Puppy Browser (gtkmoz on previous versions of Puppy) is provided by the Seamonkey 1.X series of Mozilla browsers. The Seamonkey 2.X versions of Mozilla browsers do not support Puppy Browser.

You can change the executable that the desktop help file points to by opening /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer with a text editor. Change the command to "seamonkey" or enter the full path to the seamonkey executable if needed. IE "/usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey" without the quotes. This will invoke the Seamonkey web browser instead of the now broken Puppy Browser.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

In that case, it sounds like a rewrite of PuppyBrowser is in order.
I will investigate this.
By the way, I had already tried your method and it does work.
The thing is that PuppyBrowser looks to be just a profile to be used by SeaMonkey although I am unsure of this.

DMcCunney

#8 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:In that case, it sounds like a rewrite of PuppyBrowser is in order.
I will investigate this.
By the way, I had already tried your method and it does work.
The thing is that PuppyBrowser looks to be just a profile to be used by SeaMonkey although I am unsure of this.
It isn't. PuppyBrowser is an ELF binary, living in /usr/local/PuppyBrowser. It uses and depends upon libgtkembedmoz.so, and looks for that library in /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.8.0.4 or in /usr/lib/seamonkey.
______
Dennis

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

Since that library file does not exist after an upgrade of SeaMonkey, I modified gtkmoz to use SeaMonkey as a work around.
I do not even know if both can co-exist in running condition.
That is Puppy-Browser and SeaMonkey 2.02.
If you have another method, let me know.
My head is just not working today!

DMcCunney

#10 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:Since that library file does not exist after an upgrade of SeaMonkey, I modified gtkmoz to use SeaMonkey as a work around.
I do not even know if both can co-exist in running condition.
That is Puppy-Browser and SeaMonkey 2.02.
If you have another method, let me know.
My head is just not working today!
I'm not quite sure what happened when you upgraded.

I have multiple SeaMonkey versions installed at the moment, because I'm testing the effects of static builds on load time and performance. So I have SeaMonkey 1.18 in static and non-static builds, and SeaMonkey 2.02 likewise. It's actually fairly simple to have them all installed at the same time, as long as you aren't trying to run them through things like Puppy's defaultbrowser mechanism.

PuppyBrowser can exist alongside SeaMonkey 2.02, as long as it has the libgtkembedmoz.so file in a place it can find it. What I don't understand is why the upgrade removed it. I don't recall it doing that here.
______
Dennis

8-bit

#11 Post by 8-bit »

I tried copying gtkembedmoz.so to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory that was created by an install of SeaMonkey-2.01.pet.
When I tried to fire up Puppy-Browser from a terminal, it stated that gtkembedmoz.so could not find some internal thing. Or should that be infernal?
And I got that file from a Puppy version with the same kernel.
The Pet file overwrote all of the original Seamonkey files including the desktop file.
So that may have been the cause.
I restored using a backed up pupsave file.
My main problem is that I tried a number of SeaMonkey pet files and all the installing and uninstalling probably is what caused the problem to begin with.
If I knew how to make Puppy-Browser a stand alone application that did not rely on getting support files from SeaMonkey, I would.
But just copying the gtkembedmoz.ko file to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory does not work.

DMcCunney

#12 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:I tried copying gtkembedmoz.so to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory that was created by an install of SeaMonkey-2.01.pet.
When I tried to fire up Puppy-Browser from a terminal, it stated that gtkembedmoz.so could not find some internal thing. Or should that be infernal?
And I got that file from a Puppy version with the same kernel.
The Pet file overwrote all of the original Seamonkey files including the desktop file.
So that may have been the cause.
Sounds like it was.

I've been doing a little fiddling here. Among other things, PuppyBrowser is sensitive to exactly which version of the libgtkembedmoz.so file it sees. I have several different versions from different releases of Seamonkey and XULRunner. One caused PuppyBrowser to fail because it couldn't find a particular symbol defined in the library. Another had the symbol defined, so PuppyBrowser jumped that hurdle, but died with a segmentation fault shortly after.

I don't fully understand the relationship between SeaMonkey and PuppyBrowser either, but it seems to be fairly intimate and version specific. And if so, it's a pain, because it appears to implicitly assume that no one will ever upgrade SeaMonkey delivered with Puppy. That's a very bad assumption.

I didn't see the breakage because I didn't upgrade SeaMonkey from a PET. I grabbed the Linux build from Mozilla as a tar.bz2 file, extracted it and placed it where I wanted it to live, and adjusted from there. (The adjustment consisted of symlinking the SeaMonley shell script into /usr/bin.)
I restored using a backed up pupsave file.
My main problem is that I tried a number of SeaMonkey pet files and all the installing and uninstalling probably is what caused the problem to begin with.
Quite likely.
If I knew how to make Puppy-Browser a stand alone application that did not rely on getting support files from SeaMonkey, I would.
But just copying the gtkembedmoz.ko file to the /usr/lib/seamonkey directory does not work.
It depends on just which library version, as far as I can see.

To test a bit, open a terminal window, cd to /usr/local/PuppyBrowser, and run things from the command line. puppy-browser is the wrapper script. PuppyBrowser is the ELF binary puppy-browser runs.
______
Dennis
Last edited by DMcCunney on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#13 Post by 8-bit »

I booted from the original CD I used to install Puppy frugal install and copied the complete Puppybrowser directory to /mnt/home and from there to it's given destination after reboot.
I also did the same for gtkembedmoz.so.
The darn above file came from exactly the same version of Puppy and puppybrowser finds it, but still gives an internal error from gtkembedmoz.so.
Other than ponder and peer at the vala code and try to recompile it (which I already tried) (code and compiler script in Puppybrowser directory), I took the lame way out and am just using my newest installed version of Seamonkey for viewing the help files.
It took a modification of the gtkmoz script file and also a mod of the default_help_viewer file.

DMcCunney

#14 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:I booted from the original CD I used to install Puppy frugal install and copied the complete Puppybrowser directory to /mnt/home and from there to it's given destination after reboot.
I also did the same for gtkembedmoz.so.
The darn above file came from exactly the same version of Puppy and puppybrowser finds it, but still gives an internal error from gtkembedmoz.so.
It may not be looking at the one you think it is. Look at the puppy-browser shell script to see what it looks for and where, and make sure there isn't another copy of libgtkembedmoz.so that it might be looking at instead.
Other than ponder and peer at the vala code and try to recompile it (which I already tried) (code and compiler script in Puppybrowser directory), I took the lame way out and am just using my newest installed version of Seamonkey for viewing the help files.
It took a modification of the gtkmoz script file and also a mod of the default_help_viewer file.
I seldom use that function, so I haven't been bothered by the issue. I'll poke around here a bit more out of curiousity. A help viewer with less overhead than full Seamonkey would be nice.
______
Dennis

8-bit

#15 Post by 8-bit »

If you do an ldd on Puppy Browser, you will see that it relies heavily on support from SeaMonkey to run.
As SeaMonkey updates itself, that support disappears.
I really think that the Puppy Browser needs a rewrite so as not to depend on a specific version of SeaMonkey to run.
It was made originally as a lite browser to display help files.
If it was kept that way, all would be good.
But features keep getting added to make it more.

DMcCunney

#16 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:If you do an ldd on Puppy Browser, you will see that it relies heavily on support from SeaMonkey to run.
I did so. The only thing I see here obviously part of SeaMonkey is the libgtkembedmoz.so library. The rest all live in /lib or /usr/lib, and look to be standard libraries used by a variety of things.
As SeaMonkey updates itself, that support disappears.
Which is why I think dependency on a specific SeaMonkey version is a bad idea.
I really think that the Puppy Browser needs a rewrite so as not to depend on a specific version of SeaMonkey to run.
I agree.
It was made originally as a lite browser to display help files.
If it was kept that way, all would be good.
But features keep getting added to make it more.
"Feeping creaturism". Yep. Old story in the computer world, but we never seem to learn.
______
Dennis

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

I actually got PuppyBrowser working again along with the upgrade of SeaMonkey 2.02.
What I did was to copy the complete seamonkey-1.1.18 directory to /usr/lib first.
Then I edited /usr/local/PuppyBrowser/puppy-browser by replacing all the references to seamonkey with seamonkey-1.1.18.

After that, I also edited /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz and replaced all references to PuppyBrowser with puppy-browser.

So now, PuppyBrowser works along with the SeaMonkey upgrade.

Maybe that is long and drawn out and not done quite right, but it works.

DMcCunney

#18 Post by DMcCunney »

8-bit wrote:I actually got PuppyBrowser working again along with the upgrade of SeaMonkey 2.02.
Cool.
What I did was to copy the complete seamonkey-1.1.18 directory to /usr/lib first.
Then I edited /usr/local/PuppyBrowser/puppy-browser by replacing all the references to seamonkey with seamonkey-1.1.18.

After that, I also edited /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz and replaced all references to PuppyBrowser with puppy-browser.

So now, PuppyBrowser works along with the SeaMonkey upgrade.

Maybe that is long and drawn out and not done quite right, but it works.
That it works is the important part. It might be possible to refine it a bit - I doubt PuppyBrowser needs everything in the SeaMonkey 1.18 directory - but it may not be worth the trouble to narrow it down.

I'll see about reproducing that here. Thanks!
______
Dennis

DaveS

#19 Post by DaveS »

Have been looking more closely at PuppyBrowser. It has a heck of a lot of deps. Building a standalone exceeds 20MB! This is what it needs so far, all from SM 1.1.18, and so far, Password Manager is not working. The next step is to figure what is compatible from SM2.
Attachments
puppybrowser.png
(40.3 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DMcCunney

#20 Post by DMcCunney »

DaveS wrote:Have been looking more closely at PuppyBrowser. It has a heck of a lot of deps. Building a standalone exceeds 20MB! This is what it needs so far, all from SM 1.1.18, and so far, Password Manager is not working. The next step is to figure what is compatible from SM2.
Have fun.

I'm all in favor of re-using code, but I have to disagree with Puppy Browser's approach. It appears to assume the user will never try to upgrade or replace SeaMonkey, which is a highly questionable assumption.
______
Dennis