NOP 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jimmyhan

unmount hard disk

#121 Post by jimmyhan »

I usually run off my usb stick and I think that will save me heaps of battery power.
Thank you
Jimmy

yerc1

Re: NOP 431

#122 Post by yerc1 »

gray wrote:It's finally here - NOP 431 available at http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP

Revision 2: 15 Jan 2010
upgraded Opera to 10.10
upgraded flash to 10.0.42.34
upgraded gparted to 0.4.8
pfind 4.16
pfilesearch 1,21
mtpaint 3.34
printoxx 2.1
getez replaced pwsget
pnethood fix for empty password
pupevent_backend fix
xine plugin fix
Hi gray

After using NOP since 410, I have now removed my ubuntu install and now have NOP431r1 instead. Thanks for this excellent puppy!

There's a delta file for r2 listed on the download site, however actual file appears to have been removed? I want to download only the delta file as opposed to getting the whole iso. Can you please make a delta file available?

randye009

nvidia Driver and Internet

#123 Post by randye009 »

I love NOP! I run an Asus laptop with a 9800M GS card and a 5100 AGN wifi card and I run out to a 28 inch HANNS G Monitor so I need 1900X1200. After installing every nVidia pet package for 2.6.30.5 in the NOP download page and following instructions to install the driver direct from nVidia all with success, I am stumped. I have no issues with eth0 or wlan until after I install nVidia. After the driver install, my WPA connection or wired internet show as active but I get no internet when I open Opera or try to use Samba shares or anything else. I even have a linksys USB receiver and the same thing happens. I have installed other browsers and even Firefox portable in wine but get no internet access even though I am connected. This happens after the first time I reboot after a successful nVidia install. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

randye009

No Internet After Nvidia Install

#124 Post by randye009 »

Solved! Per my previous post disregard... Did a reinstall, installed Pwireless2 then the nVidia driver from source and everything is now perfect!!! Pnethood Samba Shares would not show folders on my network so installed LameSMBxplorer and now no problems.. I also got my headphone jack working today! I'm a very happy dog with what I consider now to be a Perfect Puppy! Thank you so much Gray for this awesome derivative!!!

moB

Re: Openoffice, Firefox

#125 Post by moB »

friedsonjm wrote:I will give this a try.. recommedations as to best version of openoffice 3.5 sfs t download and from where? Also, best way to install firefox 3.5?
thanks! jf
I know it is a bit of a late reply, but here is a list of available Open Office *-.sfs files:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... fice_suite

"some ships sail from their ports and ever afterwards are missing"
H. Melville, "Moby Dick" 1851

moB

Boot problem [solved]

#126 Post by moB »

swiatmar wrote:I have some problem with booting with NOP431. After full installing I've got a massage by booting:
Kernel panic -not syncing: Unable to mount root fs unknown-block(0,0)

And this is what my menu.lst is saying:

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Wed Oct 28 03:41:52 2009
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/sda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.sda.11006'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.sda.11006 of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
#timeout 30
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,0)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)

When I start NOP from CD everything works fine. My laptop is a little bit old (IBM thinkpad t20 700mhz, 256 mb ram).But with live CD everything was detected and works fine
Looks as though you are missing one line. Put it after the kernel line:
initrd /puppy431/initrd.gz

Point to your initial ramdisc location -- edit to suit your actual location :-)

moB

Re: error messages

#127 Post by moB »

timremy wrote:hello

a quick question. when i boot up nop 431 r1 , i get some lines

that say something like Fatal error lib?????? not included.

(or something like that, that lines are there and then gone)

is this normal, i mean cosmetic?

thank you

timremy
This looks a lot like the "problem" I have with NOP431r2. Everything seems ok, but I get a line repeated twice just before xwin loads:
"Could not open /lib/modules/2.3.30.5/initrd/kernel drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko.gz"

I have the uncopressed usbhid.ko, all right, but get this complaint.

I am running NOP in VBox with guest additions.

Thanks in advance! If you can solve this my install is *perfect* :-D

Meantime, I'll keep looking...

jrocks

#128 Post by jrocks »

this is a great little Puppy Derivative keep up the great work Gray hope to see more of your projects in future

moB

Spurious error messages [Solved]

#129 Post by moB »

Re: timremy & others (including myself)

I have read all the way through the Puppy scripts trying to find the source of the error message mentioned in my previous posts.
Not deep enough... can only determine it comes after xwin is called. Too much the noob, yet ;^D

Have even read the kernel, and its changelogs...

It all looks pretty good, but, as Barry notes, some of it does seem "weird."

Here's a related post:

<related_post>
.... Panzerkopf made a patch:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50875
........ "This is a bug. Read about it:"
........http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=180
</related_post>

Some of my comments/questions are on that page, too. (I'll point from there to here after posting this.)

It looks to me that the (u)event is not registered/recorded for the loading of the kenel modules mentioned in the complaining error output.
The modules are in the location specified, and *are* uncompressed... the USB devices are working through the VBox.

Tried a patched rc.sysinit by Panzerkopf, but it totally crashed my system.
I got more error messages, and fatal, persistent errors: X couldn't/wouldn't load, even after replacing the original copy of the file... errors included unknown login, and, worse, /sys didn't load... had to either delete my pupsave file and go at it again, or delete the VM.

I chose the latter, and (re)imported the backup -- I love VM's (^:

Have concluded the error is a (harmless?) kernel bug, & decided to simply suppress the spurious output, to save the users from stress.

Others have also come to this opinion, but cannot remember where -- it's been a long "day" ;-)

In Barry's /etc/profile, at end where xwin is called...

<clip>
#want to go straight into X on bootup only...
if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
# uncomment 'bark as loads'. Make it 2x + 1 -- I like it. moB (add -q quiet; no text output) 1+ 2 = warning; 2+1=happy!
aplay -N -q /usr/share/audio/2barks.au; aplay -N -q /usr/share/audio/bark.au
dmesg > /tmp/bootkernel.log
# exec xwin Instead, suppress output -- hide silly error (bug) msg
# weak patch by moB 10 Feb 2010
exec xwin 2> /dev/null
fi
fi
</clip>

We still get the "This script will start X for you..." output, but no "Warning"/"Fatal error" pair :D

Hope this helps!

Puppy is FUN!

I am running Puppy 4.3.1 on a 533MHz Mendicino Pavilion [Full install, dual boot with DSL-N, was triple, with win98 but that HD died yesterday ;-( ]

DSL dual boot with win3.11/DOS6.2 on a 1997 166MHz (frugal install)

TEENpup from cd, with pupsave on HD on worn out-XP (Willamette 1.5 GHz) with damaged mobo...

Various virtual machines qemu (yuk, too slow -- but works on most puplic accounts) VMWare, Portable-VirtualBox (msWin, XPVista Business), VirtualBoxOSE (Linux Mint - my personal machine). Am using many flavours of Puppy. Love NOP.

Thanks Gray!

nooby

#130 Post by nooby »

You NOP works great on my HP/Compaq SR5622SC desktop.
As with many Puppy one have to use Connect to get out on web.
But unlike other Puppy it actually are able to get the lan card going.

Opera 10.10 maybe is a good choice. I guess they have a huge supporter base that like that you chose that one. I am more into Firefox 3.6 but such is taste. Opera is a good choice.

So thanks for providing this Puppy. Will be among my faved puppies.

If one have a save file on the hardware somewhere one should edit the start up with Puppy pfix=ram to not load that one.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

blopa6

#131 Post by blopa6 »

Nop 431 es el mejor derivado de Puppy desde Argentina le agredecemos y seguimos sus puplets . gracias Gray

Google traductor:

Nop 431 is the best derivative of Puppy from Argentina you for choosing and following his puplets. Thanks Gray

yerc1

Re: Opera - Speed Dial

#132 Post by yerc1 »

Fishy wrote:I asked once before, how do I get Opera to open to speed dial on start up? I have set it as home page in preferences and looked at other options. I would like to have speed dial come up as the default as soon as I close this web site or all other open tabs.

Cheers :D
I assume you are using NOP431, hence, Opera 10.10 as well.
Tools, Preferences, General, Startup gives an option to start with speed dial, which was unavailable in previous versions of Opera.

yerc1

Re: Opera - Speed Dial

#133 Post by yerc1 »

Fishy wrote:I asked once before, how do I get Opera to open to speed dial on start up? I have set it as home page in preferences and looked at other options. I would like to have speed dial come up as the default as soon as I close this web site or all other open tabs.

Cheers :D
I assume you are using NOP431, hence, Opera 10.10 as well.
Tools, Preferences, General, Startup gives an option to start with speed dial, which was unavailable in previous versions of Opera.

Henry

Free Space Decreases by several Mb with Usage.

#134 Post by Henry »

Free space may decrease after some kinds of activity. This appears to be benign, not the result of any pup-save file corruption. The space is normally restored to its initial value (in my case 318M) after a simple reboot, or at most a reboot with pfix=fsck.

I use a live Nop 4.3.1r2 CD, but this phenomenon is not specific to it. I have a 200M swap file in /mnt/home/. The pup-save file is 640Mb. I have 1Gb ram.This is otherwise an extremely clean, fast, and stable business system in constant use.

A great thing about Linux is its ability to run a long time without having to reboot, at least in servers. However I end up rebooting my desktop frequently because I don't know if the the space decrease is the result of some corruption until I do reboot and it restores. And of course I always like to have the maximum space available for normal operation.

I have taken great care to move all the variable storage things outside the pup-save into /mnt/home, such as mailboxes, temporary downloads, bookmarks, cache, etc. I can browse the web or use email indefinitely without observing any decrease in free space. What activity actually causes this is hard for me to identify because it shows up after the fact, and because I really don't understand how Linux and its file system work. But it seems to happen after graphical activities or perhaps extensive file management. Could it be because the initial amount of free space is insufficient for these activities? (I do understand that deleting things to the trash decreases the free space, but this is normally recovered by emptying the trash.) Of course I could increase the pup-save size, but I like to keep it small for backup reasons.

Is there some way to either prevent this loss of free space or to manually restore it without rebooting? It would help if I knew what was taking up the space where. I would like to understand this.

I like to keep an eye on the free space figure as a useful barometer of system health. Thanks for your clarification or advice.

external

#135 Post by external »

hay this is a great little puppy using 4.3.1r2 but i had one problem i had to do a cold reboot
then when restarted it never started Xorg was scanning for usb went to like 14 then just # appears and no keyboard works maybe a little bug or something at my end thanks

Ray MK

#136 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Henry

This is just an idea - not a certainty - but white-outs could be what's causing the loss of space in your save_file.

White-outs :-

Some time ago Big Bass made a white-out cleaner for his
412 Slaxer Pup. It should work ok with 413/431 etc.

I'll see if I can find a copy - or a link - and post it.

HTH - very best regards - Ray

Henry

#137 Post by Henry »

Some time ago Big Bass made a white-out cleaner for his 412 Slaxer Pup. It should work ok with 413/431 etc.
Thanks, Ray,

Interesting. Let me know if you find it,

Henry

Henry

#138 Post by Henry »

Henry wrote:
Some time ago Big Bass made a white-out cleaner for his 412 Slaxer Pup. It should work ok with 413/431 etc.
Thanks, Ray,

Interesting. Let me know if you find it,

Henry
I searched for .wh and found 95 files, probably the result of previous tweaking.

I manually deleted them all, and it seems to have fixed the problem. This is amazing!

THANKS!

Henry

DaveS

#139 Post by DaveS »

Henry, try adding the 'pfix=fsck' command to your boot parameter. This seems to stop/fix .wh files. If you are using Grub, the entry would look like this:

/431/vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=atahd psubdir=431
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

external

#140 Post by external »

Thanks DaveS will give it a try