Dial-Up Connection Speed Question

Mad Jack

Dial-Up Connection Speed Question

#1 Post by Mad Jack »

I have a question. I saw a similar topic, but these online tests are all geared towards broadband users and don't measure Kbps much. I know that in Windows XP, once you connect to the internet, you get a pop-up window that reports the initial connection speed (example for me, 33.2 Kbps).

I would have thought that there would be some way for me to check in my settings what my connection speed was. I dialed in using PupDial - I am an absolute beginner so please be gentle! Thanks so much.

T

puppyite

#2 Post by puppyite »

Hi Jack,
Your connection speed is shown in the WvDial connection log. This dialog appears after you click Connect to Internet. After you're connected you can either scroll up to see it or maximize the window.

Frank Cox

Connection speed

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

When I see the number on the connect log it is all over the board and does not seem to have anything to do with the connection speed.

Telkwa

#4 Post by Telkwa »

If you hunt around, there are dial-up speed tests. One I like is at the us netizen webpage. I realize this will have a geographic component to it - you need to find one that's fairly close to you, I would imagine. Anyway, the us netizen website has a dial-up speed test partway down the page. I've run their test hundreds of times on various systems at various places and the results seem to correlate closely with my own "seat of the pants" perception of connect speeds.

http://www.usnetizen.com/

I just googled "dial-up speed test"...toast.net also has a test. There are others.