How to change gtk inbuilt default icon choices?

Booting, installing, newbie
walter90

How to change gtk inbuilt default icon choices?

#1 Post by walter90 »

I am trying to finish Steampunking my laptop but I've hit a snag. I want to replace the little icons on the buttons and toolbars in apps like Pwireless, Search file, the Connection wizard and so on.

The ones I'm talking about are the little trashcan, the downward arrow pointing to the left, help, and on and on.

I found a few of them (I think) in mini-icons, .icons, icons, Rox and pixmaps but I can't find the rest.

Does anyone know where they are?

walter90

#2 Post by walter90 »

No, this is not about changing app themes. There are basic icons that are common to all or almost all apps and themes. These, like I said, are the tiny trashcan, the downward left pointing arrow, the close, or exit, icon and so forth.

I'll include some screencaps tomorrow.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

OK, sorry. Just trying to be helpful. You can edit the Subject line to make it more accurate. :)

tasmod

#4 Post by tasmod »

These are gtk inbuilt default icon choices.

You can see if they are in /usr/share/glade3/pixmaps but you would need to make a new version and rename old. This will however impact all gtk programs that use them.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

walter90

#5 Post by walter90 »

tasmod wrote:These are gtk inbuilt default icon choices.

You can see if they are in /usr/share/glade3/pixmaps but you would need to make a new version and rename old. This will however impact all gtk programs that use them.
No worries Flash, and thanks for the helpful tip. Someone edited my subject line. I originally asked where the icons were.

Thanks tasmod. I was afraid it was something like that. They aren't in the glade folder. Mine is empty. At least no pixmap folder. I'd like a fairly easy way of doing it. Perhaps someone could post a file I could edit?

`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

Also you might try and see what the mime-types reference (sometimes they relate to icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/*, either actions or emblems or ...) - that can be either for toolbars like rox' or internally (dir/filetypes usw) .. there was some thread that redid the rox toolbar with custom user-icons (with dotpets&etc) and some puplets use another method like a separate hicolor dir (like Gray does for the box and NOP series). Then there are apps that are fairly self-contained like xfexplorer (icons and color-scheming) or have the icons 'buried' somewheres.

(good hunting!)&hth

walter90

#7 Post by walter90 »

Thanks. I'll keep looking. Like I said, I have found some of them, and certain apps are self-contained like Gnumeric and Gcalc.

I'd like to get them all changed eventually because it just doesn't look right with my theme. Kinda like a turd in the punch bowl.

Thanks for everyone's help! :D

kevin-dell1100

#8 Post by kevin-dell1100 »

To take Walter90's question a step further, how does one even add or remove icons to the desktop? I've been looking for a help page on this, but haven't had much luck yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tasmod

#9 Post by tasmod »

There are several ways in Puppy to add icons to desktop. Depends which version you are using.

Take 431 as an example, this will also work for most others as well.

Decide what application it is you want to load, then if you want a direct executable then find the program in its directory.

Then click and drag to desktop, note that this in fact does not move the program but creates a link to it.

Then you will need to find an icon for it, usually in the app directory or in /usr/share/icons , you will need to go slightly deeper in the icon directory depending on the icon required.

Once you have an icon choice, keep window to one side so you can see the program link on desktop, 'right click' the program link.

When the Rox list opens, select app dir and a smaller list will show.
At the bottom of this is 'set icon' click that.

Now a box will open and it will have a space at the top saying no icon set. Go back to the icon you chose and left click and drag to the box.
That's it, the icon is set.

There are other ways, some programs are launched by a script or link, it all depends on what you want to show.

There are desktop files that will launch an installed app in /usr/share/applications just drag to desktop. Follow instructions above to set an icon if it hasn't one already.

To remove an item icon from desktop, just right click and select remove item.

Note that all icons on desktop are links and do not remove the programs from system.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

walter90

#10 Post by walter90 »

Ok. I don't have anything in my GTK 2.0 folder other than a demo folder with some gnome icons and some doc files in another.

I installed a .pet yesterday that put GTK stock icons in my X11/mini-icons folder but they apparently are not the built-in icons. I have looked for a file I could edit but no luck.

I installed a .pet to change the Rox toolbar icons and that all went well. I replaced the icons with those of my own no problem.

Now, I just need to be able to change icons like gtk-quit, gtk-ok and so on.

I'll keep looking on my own but if anyone knows what I need to do please tell me. Do I need to install a new GTK?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Walter90, it might be helpful if you took a screenshot of one of the apps you're talking about, and drew some arrows pointing to the icons you mean. By "icon" do you mean what I think is usually called a radio button?

You can take a screenshot, crop it to show just the application window, and draw arrows in it, all with Menu -> Graphic -> mtPaint screenshot.

FYI, the forum won't automatically show images wider than 600 pixels, so if your image can't be cropped to 600 or less, you'll have to Scale the canvas. MtPaint can do that too. :)

walter90

#12 Post by walter90 »

Flash wrote:Walter90, it might be helpful if you took a screenshot of one of the apps you're talking about, and drew some arrows pointing to the icons you mean. By "icon" do you mean what I think is usually called a radio button?

You can take a screenshot, crop it to show just the application window, and draw arrows in it, all with Menu -> Graphic -> mtPaint screenshot.

FYI, the forum won't automatically show images wider than 600 pixels, so if your image can't be cropped to 600 or less, you'll have to Scale the canvas. MtPaint can do that too. :)
Ok Flash. I'll do that. Thanks. :D

walter90

#13 Post by walter90 »

Ok, here's what I have. I want to replace the circled icons. I have noticed that a very few icons on the buttons, like the up arrow is now the up arrow I have for my Rox toolbar icons, which I re-did recently.
Attachments
Screencap-buttons.jpg
(111.63 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

walter90

#14 Post by walter90 »

Anybody?

I might add that I have been playing with MacPup Foxy and I can change these icons in that distro. All I have to do is place these stock icons in the /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmap file

That doesn't work for me on Puppy 4.2.1

dejan555

#15 Post by dejan555 »

walter, there are some rules to change gtk stock icons by editing .gtkrc-mine , this is how we styled ROX toolbar icons look in these threads/posts:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 829#327829

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45096
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

walter90

#16 Post by walter90 »

dejan555 wrote:walter, there are some rules to change gtk stock icons by editing .gtkrc-mine , this is how we styled ROX toolbar icons look in these threads/posts:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 829#327829

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45096
Ok, I could be dense, but the toolbar icons in Rox filer aren't the problem. I can and have changed those.

No matter what I try though, these types of icons or whatever you want to call them don't change in several apps.

Now, I see the code you put in the mine file. How could I try that and point the stock icons at the right target icon?

Is it as simple as replacing the names of each file with the ones I want to use?
I understand I'd have to add to the mine file and not overwrite the toolbar text.

dejan555

#17 Post by dejan555 »

walter, rox toolbar was just an example since it also uses gtk stock icons, but once you change that .gtkrc.mine all of stock (default) icons change.
Yes, you can paste that into your .gtkrc.mine (make new file in /root )
and change icons path and icon names
There might be more stock icon rules then those in that post, but we used only how much is in rox filer
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

dejan555

#18 Post by dejan555 »

Also, icons may be hardcoded into application, other then using stock icons. Maybe that pwireless uses static paths to icons, but it seems to me that those are also gtk stocks. If they are hard coded you'll have to open pwireless script and find where the gtk dialog is built and specify icons.

walter90

#19 Post by walter90 »

dejan555 wrote:Also, icons may be hardcoded into application, other then using stock icons. Maybe that pwireless uses static paths to icons, but it seems to me that those are also gtk stocks. If they are hard coded you'll have to open pwireless script and find where the gtk dialog is built and specify icons.
Thanks dejan. :D I appreciate your help. I went to the GTK site so I can find more assistance there with the rules. But that site is hard for a non-coder to understand.

Yes those are GTK stock icons but your guess is probably right about them being hard-coded. Like I said earlier, the up arrow in my rox icons file, which I changed, now shows up in several apps as the up arrow.

Thanks again for the help.

walter90

#20 Post by walter90 »

Adding the icons I wanted to use into .gtk-mine works like a charm. A very few of the stock-icons didn't change but I can live with the result.

I added all the extra icons to the same path as the rox-filer icons.