2Pmm: a 'split MENU' for Puppy/netbook users!

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Argolance

2Pmm: a 'split MENU' for Puppy/netbook users!

#1 Post by Argolance »

The latest French version of 'Toutou LINUX', based on Puppy LINUX 4.31, comes with a somewhat convenient split '3 in 1' MENU (please, see pictures below).
:arrow: A right click on an empty area of the desktop displays 'PROGRAMS', a left click 'SERVICES' (Setup and configuration) and a click with the middle button of the mouse, 'SESSION' (Power off, Reboot...)

:arrow: A MENU Manager allows user to manage (add/remove) applications entries of the MENU and to create, manage personal shortcuts or links pointing to directories, files, URL and applications of his choice. When created, those shortcuts are available through the entry 'PROGRAMS/My shortcuts' while clicking on the button 'refresh MENU'.

... to directory shows the content of the directory in a Rox filer window.
... to file open the file with the default appropriate application : A text file with the default text editor, a picture with the default image viewer, idem for any pdf, audio, video, etc... file supported by the system.
... to URL open the link in the default navigator.
... to application allows to access directly from the entry 'My shortcuts' to any of your favorite applications installed on the system

When creating shortcut, you can drag and drop target from a Rox filer window or from your navigator for URL. You can also choose personalized name and icons different from the default icons proposed by the application.

Any personal shortcut can be removed from MENU, restored to MENU or definitively deleted while clicking on the button 'Delete removed shortcuts from backup directory'.

A pet package of this menu called '2pmm 1.0', was created and can be downloaded below. It contains localization files, actually French and English (/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES and fr/LC_MESSAGES 2Pmm.mo and refresh-menu.mo files) that may be translated to other languages. A 'puninstall.sh' script (allows to uninstall '2Pmm' properly and restores the original configuration) was integrated to this pet. Though all seems running as well as possible, it should probably be cautious to test this 'split menu' through a pfix=ram session !

If interesting in it, please, give your comments or any suggestions, especially about English translation that may be incorrect! (my English is a bit rough!).

Hope sincerely this is useful!
Thank you for your kind attention.
Regards.
Depending of the system font chosen by user, 'MENU' could be displayed improperly (ME NU for example). To prevent this, I replaced letters with pictures that look somewhat better.

:arrow: MENU setup:

As MENU Manager is installed in English by default, while clicking the 'OK' button, the current option, (Original Puppy MENU: box checked or '3 en 1' MENU: box unchecked) will be actualized to the corresponding language, if locale is not English or was previously modified to another one.

When box is unchecked (default setting), the '3 en 1' MENU is displayed then window opened again. Radio buttons of the MENU context are enabled and let user choose the type of MENU matching with the context (placement of the task bar on the desktop defined by user - JWM configuration\Tray management\Tray Placement Option).

While checking 'Display original Puppy MENU', user can restore the original MENU of Puppy. Radio buttons of the MENU context are disabled.

Modifications have to be validated and the MENU refreshed for changes to take effect.

Note: This split MENU, as well as the original Puppy MENU, is more convenient with task bar at the top of the screen. Task bar at the bottom seems to be a bad remainder of Windows, kept for new users and them not to be disorientated. Menus are always at the top of windows applications and it is therefor quite logical to work the MENU entries the same way!
Attachments
create_personal_shortcuts_tab.jpg
(67.09 KiB) Downloaded 1844 times
manage_shortcuts_tab.jpg
(51.64 KiB) Downloaded 1859 times
manage_menu_entries_tab.jpg
(44.84 KiB) Downloaded 1858 times
2Pmm-1.0.pet
(173.12 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
menu.jpg
Menu with pictures instead of system font letters (Toutou Ignis theme)
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 2039 times
session_menu.jpg
(12.38 KiB) Downloaded 2086 times
programs_shortcuts_menu.jpg
(29.61 KiB) Downloaded 2093 times
services_menu.jpg
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 2075 times
Last edited by Argolance on Sun 30 May 2010, 16:07, edited 25 times in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Yes thanks. I test it in some coming day. I am fully immersed in getting HDD to do linux for me just now. I add TouTou later to the setup and check if it works on my computers.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

dejan555

#3 Post by dejan555 »

Hmm, that looks good, I'd reverse the order though, I'd put third, then second, then first button (shutdown button I'd put at the end of tray, after clock)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

dejan555

#4 Post by dejan555 »

Oh, it even has "Menu manager", very nice!
Not sure about split buttons on "ME" and "NU"
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

sheldonisaac

Help with this, please

#5 Post by sheldonisaac »

Previously I'd added a menu item to run Opera from the Internet menu.
That is no longer available.

How do I either make .jwmrc be in control again, or add the menu item in this new menu system?

Thank you.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

I am writing from toutou now and have dowloaded the pet and is supposed to activate it in anyway?

Should I do ctrl alt backspace?

ah it says

* ... is accessible by mouse right/left/center buttons while clicking on the desktop.
* ... has got its own application 'MENU Manager' to customize it.

Heheh must test that one then. Hm still in Frenc

I try to do a renewal of the jwm

hahah I am not intelligent enough to get how it works. you mean if I right click on a button then it is in one langugage but if I right click on it it change to the other language?

Argolance

#7 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@sheldonisaac
If you previously correctly installed Opera on PUPPY, a menu shortcut was automatically created in the menu, should be present in the /usr/share/applications directory as 'Opera.desktop' or something like that and consequently at its right place in the MENU/PROGRAMS/Internet section. Should be present too in the applications listed in the third tab of 'MENU manager' (> 'MENU/PROGRAMS/My shortcuts/MENU manager or MENU/SERVICES/Desktop/MENU manager). Anyway, if not, 'MENU manager' could help you to build this shortcut to Opera while using 'Create a shortcut ... to application' of the first tab of the application'! Did my answer solve your problem? Hope so!
Regards

Argolance

#8 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@nooby
I am writing from toutou now and have dowloaded the pet and is supposed to activate it in anyway?
You don't need at all to install this pet if you are running Toutou, because this 'split menu' and 'MENU manager' are already installed by default. If you right click on any empty area of your desktop, the PROGRAMS MENU is displayed, left click displays SERVICES and the middle one SESSION... Hard to be clear for me in English!
Regards

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Very embarrassing but I am not intelligent enough to get it. I left click and right click but failed to get how to make it do english. the only English I found was the shut off buttkon.

I feel too depressed about my total faliure to get text of instructions so I skip this now because Stardust have more of the programs that I like.Stardust 007 and stardust 009

sheldonisaac

#10 Post by sheldonisaac »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
@sheldonisaac
If you previously correctly installed Opera on PUPPY, a menu shortcut was automatically created in the menu, should be present in the /usr/share/applications directory as 'Opera.desktop' or something like that and consequently at its right place in the MENU/PROGRAMS/Internet section. Should be present too in the applications listed in the third tab of 'MENU manager' (> 'MENU/PROGRAMS/My shortcuts/MENU manager or MENU/SERVICES/Desktop/MENU manager). Anyway, if not, 'MENU manager' could help you to build this shortcut to Opera while using 'Create a shortcut ... to application' of the first tab of the application'! Did my answer solve your problem? Hope so!
Regards
Argolance, it is very good of you to reply, and so quickly! I thank you very much, and also for the excellent menu.

Originally the menu item in Internet in .jwmrec was

Code: Select all

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="opera.png">opera</Program>
The "opera" was a small executable script, see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=45
near the bottom.

But now I see that I can make a .desktop for it, as you said.
  • drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 2010-02-07 15:21 .
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 247 2010-02-07 15:21 MySh_A-claws-mail.desktop
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 159 2010-02-07 15:19 MySh_A-opera.desktop
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 155 2010-02-07 15:18 opera.desktop
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 204 2010-02-07 13:23 MySh_A-2Pmm.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera web browser
Comment=Opera web browser
Exec=opera
Icon=opera.png
Categories=X-Internet
MimeType=
Type=Application
[/code]

Argolance

#11 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@nooby
Do you mean your are making an English version of Toutou? It could be funny but is it really wise? As it was done for the 'split menu' and the 'MENU manager', a pet package of 'Visual and sound environment' with 5 special themes for Puppy should be soon available in English for Puppy users who are interesting in this stuff: Work actually in progress!
Regards!

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Sorry, I like Stardust Puppy so much that that one is my priority for a while now.

I am sure of that within a year it will be something else. Quirky 10 or something. I am unruly soul. thanks for caring about my whims.

efiguy

Toutou LINUX 'split menu' for Puppy users!

#13 Post by efiguy »

Hi Argolance,

Suffering from 431 menu problems, I can appreciate why you may be doing a new menu manager. ;)
Let me explain, as I am using 431 in a full screen (525 - 640x480) television conversion mode, and the menus don't resize properly, in fact you can't even set a network static IP mode, for the menu hides the click button!!!
It is almost impossible to use the xorg resolution changer for similar reasons.
Using pfind for most of the day, found some files to do minor resizing, but it is certainly painful. It would help if there was a chart of the menu system componets and structure.

My mind is pretty feeble, and as I read this post, envision that this work you are doing may have some application to multiple resolution work as I am using the PC here in 1024x768 which is far more convient
scaling for browser

I hope this work is a possible support for the low resolution video mode, because have had the same problems trying to taylor Puppy to older laptops and not being able to change fonts or even use menus

Thank you,
jay

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

Such is or are important. I tested puppy432 yesterday and it was impossible to see which button I was on because it was below the screen which did not allow me to scroll. It asked me about if I wanted the save to be on which hardware and about encrypt. I had to hard reboot out of it.

I guess a person with more knowledge would know how to do some kind of restart x and change resolution or something. Apart from that 432 was better than 431 to me but this resolution thing made it impossible to use.

in toutou it is the language barrier. I have to use Swedish keyboard with english text because that is what I am used to since 1995. I don't want to write English on a UK or US keyboard.

Argolance

#15 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Don't know if I exactly understand your problem, but, did you ever try to maintain down a right click on the active window of any application, displayed in the virtual desktop thumbnail in the task bar and move it a bit down or left or right to see the hidden parts of this window? That way, you can completely drag and drop it to an other virtual desktop too!
Regards!

Argolance

#16 Post by Argolance »

02/28/2010
News: Please see the first message of this topic!

hanzf

#17 Post by hanzf »

Thank you Argolange, I installed it and it is close to my idea of a sensible menu design... but I have 2 questions:

1. I'd like a "my shortcuts" menu as shown in the "programs_shortcuts_menu.jpg" that you posted, but mine looks like this (see attachment), with this "applications shortcuts" in between, how can I get rid of that?

2. How can I deactivate 2Pmm if I prefer to edit the jwm config files manually? It is not enough not to start it because sometimes the "refresh menu" function is called automatically. Puppy Package Manager doesn't show it so deinstallation is not possible...?
Attachments
menu.jpg
This is what my &quot;my shortcuts&quot; menu looks like
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

Argolance

#18 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
This applications was created for the French version of Puppy 4.31 (Toutou LINUX 4.31). I notice you're running under Lupu 5.0 and I think the two problems you encounter probably come from this. Under Puppy/Toutou, as far as I know, this doesn't happens...
In a near future, perhaps (Sorry, I actually have no time to do it and don't know if I will ever get it! :() I should have to fit this application to the next Toutou LINUX version based on Wary 5.2.2.

Regards.
Last edited by Argolance on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.

Argolance

#19 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
... On second thoughts, I wonder if this 'Applications shortcuts' was not accidentally or the wrong way created! So, may you simply delete it in the '/usr/share/applications' directory?

Please, let me know about...

Regards.

hanzf

#20 Post by hanzf »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
... On second thoughts, I wonder if this 'Applications shortcuts' was not accidentally or the wrong way created! So, may you simply delete it in the '/usr/share/applications' directory?

Please, let me know about...

Regards.
It's not in "/usr/share/applications", it's only in ".jwmrc" (see attachment), I can delete it from there but it comes back every time "refresh menu" is run.

Maybe there is another directory that defines the categories of programs?
Attachments
jwmrc.jpg
(34.46 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM