Can't play streaming audio: gxine engine error

Booting, installing, newbie
paullecorde

Can't play streaming audio: gxine engine error

#1 Post by paullecorde »

I am getting an gxine engine error when trying to play media from the internet, ie streaming audio. i do have the very latest version of realplayer installed in windows on the harddrive and i can listen to cds with the cd player. any suggestions on what i can do to get gxine working.
Attachments
gxine.jpg
(155.76 KiB) Downloaded 3006 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Puppy doesn't have all the Gxine codecs (or whatever they're called) to play every streaming audio format. Barry is working on it I think; should be better in 1.0.4. If I understand correctly, you can play CDs with Gxine in Puppy. Can you play any kind of streaming audio at all in Gxine?

papaschtroumpf

#3 Post by papaschtroumpf »

you could also try the mplayer DotPup it may play more format but it's kinda big
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Do a search on "gxine" as there is another thread discussing this, and a usefull url for testing various file formats.
I also posted some news about improvements for 1.0.4.

paullecorde

#5 Post by paullecorde »

I haven't been able to play anything with gxine. I've tried streaming audio from websites (internet radio) and the media link list in gxine itself. I always get the same message.

With installing mplayer or other things with DotPup will I have to have partitions on my hard drive, because I don't. I'm new to all this and have never dealt with partitions before. I've just been running Puppy from a Live CD.

When will the next version of Puppy be out and will it fix this issue with gxine?

paullecorde

#6 Post by paullecorde »

I haven't been able to play anything with gxine. I've tried streaming audio from websites (internet radio) and the media link list in gxine itself. I always get the same message.

With installing mplayer or other things with DotPup will I have to have partitions on my hard drive, because I don't. I'm new to all this and have never dealt with partitions before. I've just been running Puppy from a Live CD.

When will the next version of Puppy be out and will it fix this issue with gxine?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

BarryK wrote:Do a search on "gxine" as there is another thread discussing this, and a usefull url for testing various file formats.
Is this the thread?

paullecorde

#8 Post by paullecorde »

This Mplayer, will it play all media types? And from this other thread GuestToo says all media types played on his machine because he had the mplayer codecs... Does that mean gxine will play these media types if you install the codecs from the mplayer site http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html.
If so, how does one go about installing them? And which one do I need?
And, finally, will installing things with Puppy mess with my Windows 98 since I don't have partitions.

Codec Packages
name description version size

essential all codecs without free alternative, for Linux x86 20050412 8.9M

all all codecs for Linux x86 (Win32 .dll and Linux .so) 20050412 12.3M

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

mplayer and gxine use the same codecs ... i think you would need extra codecs whether you have gxine or mplayer installed

basically, you download the codecs package, unzip it, and move the files to /usr/lib/win32/

installing things in Puppy shouldn't affect Win 98 at all ... there should be a file (probably C:\pup001) in which all your files are put ... you can run out of space in the pup001 file if you install a lot of things ... typing df -h should tell you how much free space you have in /root (the pup001 file)

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

This is a little off topic but the mplayer dotpup is so super good!

If anyone is interested, I noticed that the command line mplayer2 plays mp3s with almost no cpu usage.

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

Or if you have a HDD installation or a large enough /root, you can Install RealPlayer from the Official real player site. (It is about 6 megs)

I followed the instructions and it worked. It gives some errors about being unable to find some files or directories, but I think that's only when trying to create syjmbolic links.

I am currently listening to my favorite Mexican radio station (news radio, as I live in Canada).

The sound is crisp clear.

I just have to find how to change the file associations in puppy (ROX) to set the browser to start RealPlayer instead of GXine when playing real media content.

EDIT: *** SOLVED ***
I can listen and view online real media content as a plug-in under Opera 7.54.
Here is what I did:

Install the real player as indicated in the RealPlayer download page.
From the Opera main menu select 'Tools | Preferences"
Select 'Plug-ins'
Click 'Change Path'
Add '/usr/lib/mozilla-1.8b1.3/plugins'
Close the window
Click 'Find new'
Select the Helix plug-in (and now that you are there, you can select other plug-ins that you have installed for Mozilla)

In the Preferences page select 'File Types'
Add two file types as follows
audio/x-pn-realaudio rmm,ram Open with other application (location where you installed realplayer)/realplay
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin rpm Use Plugin " helix DNA Plugin"

Accept your changes and you are done!

The next time you open a real media link, it will ask you what to do. Just select to open it with either the plug-in or with the realplay.

To test go to the Real player movies page and play a trailer.

Actually when I wrote the original note I had not tried using Mozilla, but i suspect that it already worked after installing real player. Now both show realplayer as a plug-in

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:
BarryK wrote:Do a search on "gxine" as there is another thread discussing this, and a usefull url for testing various file formats.
Is this the thread?
Umm, seems to be one of them. There was another thread.
Anyway, I have added the extra codec required for playing all the RealAudio formats, but for all realAudio and Quicktime etc., there will be a PupGet pkg with a complete set of codecs.

And yes, the PupGet codecs pkg I got out of Vector, but that is got from the mplayer site, and it installs into /usr/lib/win32/ -- so, both Gxine and Mplayer use those same codecs.

paullecorde

#13 Post by paullecorde »

I waited for the next version of Puppy, hoping that the problem would be resolved in it. Sadly, it did not. I have used PupGet to install the extra codices and still nothing. I installed Mplayer, which seems to play movies and not internet radio. Still, no streaming audio with Puppy. I can play CDs with the CD player so I don't see how it could be Puppy not finding a sound card. Could it be a memory issue? I have 128mb RAM and other functions of Puppy run well although it has frozen a couple of times and I have had Mozilla disappear when I had a lot of webpages open. Could it be a laptop issue? Am I the only person who has had problems with gxine? Any other suggestsions?