BoxPuppeee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

hi jemimah,

Ok, I've got myself boxpuppeee 2 and all is well so far. I have been a little out of the loop with the eee testing so a question.. before I crash my machine. .

What is the status of the Fn-F2 bug (wireless hotkey) on the 701SD? No, don't answer, curiosity got the better of me!

Other hotkeys seem fine. Perhaps a conditional test for the 701SD could at least stop the crash, perhaps giving an error message til we manage to resolve this bug.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#42 Post by 01micko »

jemimah

A nasty bug. I saved the session as you do, no prob, all saved but on a reboot it didn't load. I see the sfs is named eee-431.sfs but the save is named pupsave.2fs. I renamed to eeesave.2fs and it loads, so I gather you may have overlooked that detail.

Cheers

jemimah

#43 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded a new version with a fix for the save bug.

I did change the logic of the wlan script and one person told me the new version didn't crash on the 701SD. Apparently, that's not entirely true. :(

prehistoric

it works

#44 Post by prehistoric »

Now posting from boxpuppeee 2.01 on 1005HE using wireless connection (ra2680).

jemimah

#45 Post by jemimah »

Apparently the wireless toggle panic for the 701SD exists on Ubuntu now too.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/494287

Guess I'm not missing something obvious after all. :)

I guess I'll just add a work around and hope it gets fixed in the next kernel.

01micko

#46 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah

Code: Select all

MODEL=`cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/model_name`
it returns

701SD
in boxpuppeee, I just checked. Perhaps you could find it useful for the Fn-F2 bug and perhaps splash an error message.
That is the code I used for the condition of a 701SD in eee-control I worked on with tempestuous.

HTH :)

Cheers

jemimah

#47 Post by jemimah »

Thanks that could be useful.

If you get a chance could you try adding 'acpi_osi=Linux' to your kernel line in syslinux.cfg (or grub if you use that). Apparently this is needed on 2.6.32 but maybe it would help with this problem.

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

Ok,

added that to the line but no cigar, still crashes, worth a try though

Cheers

dougeeebear

#49 Post by dougeeebear »

* please disregard this post *

2lss

#50 Post by 2lss »

First off let me say THANK YOU! This is my favorite distro for the eee 900. Only one small problem,

My university uses wpa2 enterprise encryption for our wireless network. Using puppeee 4.2 I made a wpa_supplicant script and was able to connect without a problem for the past couple months.

#! /bin/bash

rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/* 

wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf  -B -dd

sleep 5

rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info
rm -f /var/run/*.pid

dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d ath0
When I tried running the same script(other than changing ath0 to wlan0) in boxpuppeee I couldn't connect. When I compared the log from puppeee 4.2 with boxpuppeee I found an error:

ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Using existing control interface directory.
Added interface wlan0
Daemonize
After searching around I found bugs that suggest wpa_supplicant is conflicting with the mac80211
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap ... 17954.html
I tried changing ap_scan=2 to 1 but it did not make a difference. I also found another report that it may be a kernel issue http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ed-613144/

Has anyone else experienced this? If I can get this working I'm going to upgrade from 4.2 so any help would be appreciated.

jemimah

#51 Post by jemimah »

Boxpuppeee has the Pwireless2 network manager, which starts wpa_supplicant when the computer is booted. Running your script is probably trying to start another copy which I imagine is a bad idea.

The Pwireless2 gui doesn't have options for wpa enterprise yet, but you can manually edit it's wpa_supplicant.conf. You can find the file at /usr/local/Pwireless2/wpa_supplicant.conf.

You want ap_scan=1 for ath5k.

Edit the file, then reboot, and it should automatically connect.

2lss

#52 Post by 2lss »

jemimah: Thank you, adding the profile to wpa_supplicant.conf did the trick. After using boxpuppeee for a couple days I'm really liking Pwireless2. The default puppy network manager would always connect me to the wrong network at bootup. :x

One more question, My cursor is very erratic when trying moving small distances, i.e. it's hard to click on small things. I thought it was a problem with the touchpad settings but after I tried changing them it didn't make a difference. I also experience the same issue with a usb mouse so I'm thinking its not a touchpad issue. Do you know what the culprit could be?

jemimah

#53 Post by jemimah »

Here's what to try for the mouse: go to http://drop.io/puppeee and grab the vmlinuz-no-elantech kernel. Rename it to vmlinuz and replace the kernel you're currently booting with. Jakfish, who also has an Eee 900, has this problem - caused by some kind of incompatibility between the touchpad and the touchpad driver. I'm not sure why that would affect a USB mouse, but it seems to me that it's highly likely to me that the elantech driver is the problem.

2lss

#54 Post by 2lss »

Thanks jemimah, I tried your kernel w/out the elantech driver and my touchpad works great now. Only problem is that my usb mouse still exhibits the same behavior. When I get a chance, I will dig in and see if I can find the problem.

2lss

#55 Post by 2lss »

Ok, after using boxpuppeee for a week I have a few more questions.

I am having problems trying to connect to bluetooth devices using the bluez bluetooth-wizard. The dongle I am using is a kensington k33348b and is listed in dmesg as: BCM92045B3 ROM. When I plug it in, the btusb and bluetooth modules are loaded automatically. I have also tried loading the modules rfcomm and l2cap but I am not sure they are needed. To start bluetooth-wizard, the first thing I have to do is start dbus by:

rm -f /var/run/dbus/*
dbus-uuidgen --ensure
dbus-daemon --system
When I start bluetooth-wizard from the terminal I get some gtk errors but I'm not sure if they are related the problem:

# bluetooth-wizard
(bluetooth-wizard:13451): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_filter_set_visible_func: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL_FILTER (filter)' failed
(bluetooth-wizard:13451): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_sort_new_with_model: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (child_model)' failed
(bluetooth-wizard:13451): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_sortable_set_sort_column_id: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SORTABLE (sortable)' failed
(bluetooth-wizard:13451): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(bluetooth-wizard:13451): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
The wizard starts up but doesn't list any bluetooth devices to set up.
If I use 'hcitool scan' I get an error 'Device is not available: No such device.' So I have to:

# hciconfig hci0 down
# hciconfig hci0 up  
# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
	00:1C:CC:FB:B8:D4	BlackBerry 8130
	00:19:1D:CF:12:AD	Nintendo RVL-CNT-01
Even after this, the bluetooth-wizard still doesn't find any devices. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? I am new to the world of bluetooth so maybe I am missing something.

2lss

#56 Post by 2lss »

I dived back in to the world of bluetooth-wizard today to see if I can get this thing working. After playing around with strace and gdb I got to this point.

(gdb) disass 20022
Dump of assembler code for function show_browse_dialog:
0x00004c10 <show_browse_dialog+0>:	Cannot access memory at address 0x4c10
Unfortuantely this is beyond my linux skills atm. I will do some reading up to see if I can figure this out.

jemimah

#57 Post by jemimah »

Sorry I didn't see your message earlier. Bluetooth is supposed to load automatically if you plug your dongle in and reboot - but I haven't tested dongles recently.

If it doesn't load on it's own, try running /root/Startup/bluetooth which should cause all the daemons and the applet to load.

BTW, You need to also run bluetoothd to get the wizard to see stuff. :)

2lss

#58 Post by 2lss »

jemimah: I tried both methods, start w/ the dongle plugged in and running /Startup/bluetooth. Starting w/ the dongle in does automatically load everything but I still did not see my device under bluetooth-wizard. After starting bluetooth the manual way(after a reboot) I saw the problem was bluetoothd. Here is what I get with the debug flag.

# bluetoothd -nd
bluetoothd[7587]: Bluetooth daemon 4.55
bluetoothd[7587]: Enabling debug information
bluetoothd[7587]: parsing main.conf
bluetoothd[7587]: discovto=0
bluetoothd[7587]: pairto=0
bluetoothd[7587]: pageto=8192
bluetoothd[7587]: name=%h-%d
bluetoothd[7587]: class=0x000100
bluetoothd[7587]: discov_interval=0
bluetoothd[7587]: Key file does not have key 'DeviceID'
bluetoothd[7587]: Unable to get on D-Bus
So after searching, I found this link that explains the problem. http://markmail.org/thread/r47mqsku6xfsz5kp (second page)
I searched for the bluetooth.conf file and sure enough it was in /usr/etc/alsa (???? I don't know how it got there). So I tried moving it to /usr/etc/dbus-1/system.d and /usr/etc/bluetooth but I'm still getting the same error. Is there a different path that bluetooth.conf needs to placed in for dbus to find it?

jemimah

#59 Post by jemimah »

Hmmm, I'll have to look closer at the dbus install on boxpupeee. I haven't messed with the configuration, it probably needs tweaking. I opened all the permissions on Puppeee's dbus, but I'm not sure how Gray set it up on boxpup.

I'll get back to you on this. When I get a chance to check it out.

jemimah

#60 Post by jemimah »

BoxPuppeee 2.1 has been posted.

I updated Pwireless2, the acpi scripts, and bluetooth.