Puppy lose connection? after request to renew? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

Puppy lose connection? after request to renew? (Solved)

#1 Post by nooby »

This is my wild guess about what is happening.

I have a frugal install of puppy 4.3 on a Compaq/HP SR5622SC Desktop and it is connected to a kind of WAN or is it LAN? As a newbie I fail to get such things anyway it is not real router it is a "Switch" to a Fiber thing in the Cellar and that one take care of all of us in the house. maybe 20 people.

so each of us have our IP and that one get renewed maybe each 20 minutes or whatever. I simply don't know. Maybe it takes hours.

anyway. Windows can handle that request and Puppy does not.

I lose connection after some time and can not renew it without restarting the whole computer.

How can I tell puppy to automatically accept a renewal request from the "Switch in the basement"?

Nooby

PS. Can somebody good at network explain this "Switch" thing.

Usually one always have routers but they have explicitly said we have no such. It is a Switch.

Is that really secure? Can my neighbors spy on me through that common to everybody "Switch"?
Last edited by nooby on Thu 17 Jun 2010, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Even more embarrassing for Puppy is that I installed Jolicloud which is a remix of UNR a Ubuntu Netbook Remix. And I used that one on youtube for hours without it behaving as bad as Puppy.

So Puppy 4.3 need to learn how to keep a connection out of the box.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

I really need help with this.

but it seems it is a general Linux issue and not a Puppy only issue.

I use Ubuntu the other day and it lost connection with ISP too.

Windows recreate that connection instantly while Linux doesn't do it out of the box.

where does one check some x or box that allow it to regain connection if it get lost.

Mu ISP does this check to see which of us that still are active and if one just read text then they don't know that one are active surfing.

Just my wild guess. How does one regain connection?

Rebooting the JWM?

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

I imagine there's a proper way to do it, but I think you should at least be able to get a new lease by running

Code: Select all

killall dhcpcd
dhcpcd eth0
(assuming your network interface is eth0.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I must test this next time it happens.

Don't most linuxes do this code if one reload the Desktop? much easier for a newbie to remember?

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

I wouldn't have thought so. I think dhcpd is supposed to automatically renew the lease and you might be able to avoid the problem by adjusting some of its parameters. But I don't really know anything about it; if you don't find a proper solution the best workaround might be to put that code in a little script on your desktop or something so you can run it easily.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

That is a really cool idea. As a nooby one even fail to copy such a text to the terminal.

the best thing would be to have all linux os to be aware of such "renewal of IP request so the automatically give the expected respons. An "acknowledge of request" thing.

OverDrive

#8 Post by OverDrive »

Nooby, I agree automatic would be best. If you haven't done this already, IMHO the next best way would be to cut and paste that into a text editor,
Save it as a file into /root/my-applications/bin/
Use rox filer/properties to change permissions to owner executable
Then drag it on to your desktop
Then you will have a icon that you just click to renew.

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Very good suggestion. I try to achieve this within some days. Just now I am totally absorbed trying to get my frugal install of linux mint to save things.

Now I use gedit and save bookmarks to a html file that I place in or on the HDD and use filebrowser to go for it each time I start up Mint but that is a but cumbersum but it does work.

Now I must test if I can save html files from the net in my HDD.

OverDrive

#10 Post by OverDrive »

Or you could put something like this in /root/Startup/

Code: Select all

# Nooby's Auto renew DHCP lease script

while [ 0 ] 							# repeat for ever
do
   sleep 900 							# sleep for 15 minutes before repeating
   killall dhcpcd  						# kill current DHCP session
   sleep 1  							# wait a second may not be needed
   rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info  		#cleanup last session details
   rm -f /var/run/*.pid  				#cleanup last session details
   dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d eth0 	#start new DHCP session
done

That would make it automatic for you....
Don't forget to make it owner executable...

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Wow, thanks indeed for putting this much effort into trying to help me out.

It will be interesting to test later when I am good at doing such things.

Don't edit it out now :) Your a Gemstone of generosity.

OverDrive

#12 Post by OverDrive »

You are very welcome.

My father-in-law taught me that in order to have good neighbors, You have to *be* a good neighbor and I'm Just giving back to our wonderful global village we have here....

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

That sure is an attitude that I have to learn to follow too. Altruism kind of too.

I usually fail to find the right tone in my texts on the internet so native speaking english users see me as very hostile or as a trouble maker and they get very upset when I talk linux.

When I read my own text it is very friendly but very naive and verbose and too much of all. Okay it lack a lot too. Stringens and consistency and lack knowledge about what I write.

You loving puppy even more than I do. Have you ever thought of why other linux supporters are so unaware of what is accepted by us puppy friends that we take it for granted that our DVD can save multisessions. That a frugal install of linux can save changes.

I mean why did they not allow that in Linux Mint. Had they not heard the new how Puppy is well behaved and can do neat tricks?

Beats me as we say over here. :)

OverDrive

#14 Post by OverDrive »

Nooby, I am sure if I had to speak a language that not native to me I would come across harshly too. Don't feel bad. It takes years of effort to add sweetness to your *own* native dialect, let alone a foreign one. The first step is the one you have already taken, To pre-warn that this is not your native language and you may not use it as well as you would like to. That sets the tone to allow for errors or misunderstandings. You also may have to repeat or remind others as they may not have read or retained the original statement. I have a lot of respect for people who have made the effort to learn a different language. I studied German in high school and never used it afterwards and so now it is lost.

As for multisession and frugal features that is the pure brilliance of Barry's departing from the norm. Because the Linux / Unix foundation is based in multi-user mode, the majority of effort is in that line of thinking.

Barry had the fortitude to forge his own path in this Linux world and some pretty savy people followed with him to form a darn good team. And so now we have like i said, "This wonderful little global village".

As you learn, don't forget to give back to the next "nooby" that comes along...

All the best...

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

OverDrive

#15 Post by OverDrive »

By the way. In regards to switch versus router.

A switch does not have a firewall so make sure you activate the puppy firewall for protection.

Routers usually have a active firewall, that is the difference....

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

I studied German in high school and never used it afterwards and so now it is lost.
Yes same here. We could chose between German, French and Spanish.

I should not have chosen German. Spanish works best internationally and USA has a huge population of spanish speaking people and the whole of South America too. French could be cool to learn to read all the Post modern stuff in the original language :) But I am more into modern than post modern.

You are so right about giving back to other newbies what I learn here.

That is very embarrassing with me that due to me having so badly organised brain I am not good at it,

But lo and behold one guy actually wrote and thanked me because my questions did teach him to do saving of nimblex in frugal install and none else that me had asked the developer if it was possible which it was.

I even got the developer of Vector Soho to think up how one best do it for his baby.

So even if I am totally nobody at computer I managed to help at least one person.

That is why I am at it with Linux Mint. I write from it now. it has survived three or four reboots now and many hours of usage so it will be interesting to try to figure out why it then suddenly fails.

Must be some kind of update it does in a schedule or something.

Ot it could be when I fiddled with the saving or changing user.

so now I will test what happen if I never change anything on it and see if it was me or the software on its own acting up.

Puppy never act up like that so hopefully I can find out what goes wrong when it does.

I want to save but they say it is built to not be able to save due to being a live user log in.

Does that mean I have to get myself some SDK and do a remaster of source and there allow saving?

Such are very difficult to do is it not?

OverDrive

#17 Post by OverDrive »

Yes, I wish I studied Spanish too. I wanted to be a engineer and my father told me a lot of the foundation of engineering words are from Latin or German. Oh well....
I want to save but they say it is built to not be able to save due to being a live user log in.

Does that mean I have to get myself some SDK and do a remaster of source and there allow saving?
Is this in regards to mint? If it is, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with it. Honestly, Puppy has worked so well for me, I have had no need to look for another distro....

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

That is an inportant warning. Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough just now to implement it but as soon as I get I will do as you suggest.

we ahve the problem of me being root too in puppy?

i barely get what it means so I ahve much to catch up learning.

Thanks for being patient with me. I tested linux mint for some 5 to 7 hours today with many reboots to see if it acted up but it survived to be in frugal install and now testing Lighthouse puppy

OverDrive

#19 Post by OverDrive »

Nooby, When you load up Puppy again, Starting a firewall is very simple:
Click Menu
Click Setup
Click Linux-Firewall Wizard
Click automagic
Click OK

That should be all you need to do to set it up. That will close basically everything not needed for internet web browsing.

If you need to open something for P2P file sharing or some other non-standard service then you have to go the custom route.

Do a search on this site to find how other people have done it. I use a router so I don't need to use this module, So I have no experience with it.

I've tried lighthouse, But I keep coming back to puppy with a few of my own minor tweaks.

It's just so "light and sweet"... :D

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

yes taht was easy. I thought I had to know which ports and such.

I have some 5 or 6 puppies to do it on though. Tidy up the protection.