Pup_save file with other filesystem format than ext2

Booting, installing, newbie
vellowax

Pup_save file with other filesystem format than ext2

#1 Post by vellowax »

Hey all,

I use NOP431 in ext4.
Is a pup_save can be created in other format than ext2, cause i would like to have a pup_save file in ext4 format too.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Quite some time ago the pup save was in 3fs. For some reason, I don't remember anymore, Barry went back to 2fs.

I know some persons have done the test to go to 3fs again.

As far as I know, nobody tried the 4fs.

So I think, technically it might be possible, but I don't have the skills to advice you further.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

vellowax

#3 Post by vellowax »

thank you Béèm for your fast reply.

I hope there would be someone can make it or might be Barry would give some option for filesystem format when saving the pup_save file, because with ext4, i think puppy will run more faster than in ext2.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

I think there has been a discussion on ext4.
Use the puppysearch link in my sig to find it.
Time savers:

vellowax

#5 Post by vellowax »

thanks again Béèm.
I'll keep hanging around in forum.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

If ext4 is included in the kernel the change is very simple...examine the init from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51410
regardless of speed using anything other than ext2 will make the pup_save more reliable. I'm using ext3 on puppy 4. It was dropped because someone said it is not allowed .....well rules were meant to be broken :D

mike

vellowax

#7 Post by vellowax »

@mike :
can it be implemented for ext4?
I have not tried it because now I run puppy in full install.

My conclusion so far is that, when installed puppy with frugal ways, and make the pup_save file, the pup_save file has the same function with virtual disk which containing any personal data we might have. But in puppy, the pup_save file will layered the puppy it self. And the pup_save file could be in format with various filesystem formats we can choose, as long as puppy can support it.

But, if install puppy with full install, where there are no pup_save file, i think puppy should detect the filesystem as the same format like before puppy got installed.
Am i right so far?

My puppy partition is in the ext4 format, in full install it should be read as ext4 filesystem too right?. But puppy detected the partition as ext2 while booting.
Isn't that weird?
Last edited by vellowax on Thu 28 Jan 2010, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Well this was the change for puppy 4.12
###detection
FND_PUPSAVE2FS="`find /mnt/data -maxdepth 2 -mount -type f -name pup_save*.[23r]fs | grep -v ' ' | sed -e 's%^/mnt/data%%g' | tr '\n' ' '`"
#plus
BPATTERN="/pup_save.*\\.[23r]fs"

###mounting
losetup /dev/loop1 /mnt/dev_save${PUPSAVEFILE}
FILEFS="ext2" #add filesystem types...not done for encrypt
[ "${PUPSAVEFILE##*.}" = "3fs" ] && FILEFS="ext3"
[ "${PUPSAVEFILE##*.}" = "rfs" ] && FILEFS="reiserfs"

echo "/dev/loop1 $CREATEPUPSAVE2FS ext2 defaults 1 1" >> /etc/fstab #v2.21
fsck_func loop1 $FILEFS $PUPSAVEFILE #v3.01 ####changed to fsck ..may work for reaiser if binary available#####
mount -t $FILEFS -o noatime /dev/loop1 $CREATEPUPSAVE2FS
so adapting to 4.13 and adding a condition for 4fs should be straightforward..this only deals with mounting......a premade and formatted pup_save would be needed.

mike

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

ext3 was dropped due to some theoretical concerns of having a journaling file system on top of a non-journaling one, or vice versa, can't remember what. Anyway, in some rare instances it is supposed to mess up the journaling. No one has actually reported this, but then lots of failures happen that people don't know the cause of. I suppose that's what backups are for.

I have this utility for converting pupsaves. One of the things it can do is convert from ext2 to ext3 or vice versa. It could be hacked to add ext4 I suppose. If anyone does hack it and tries it and it works, let me know and I will add the changes to it.
Attachments
convert-pupsave.tar.gz
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

Béèm

#10 Post by Béèm »

I tried Mikeb's method which did work well.
Time savers:

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

I tried Mikeb's method which did work well.
oh good...well I just did it for people to try out an obviously only the version I'm using.
'mount' should verify that ext3 is being used.

regards

mike

PaulBx1

#12 Post by PaulBx1 »

Hmmm, I was going to recook my utility to support ext4 and reiserfs, but when I ran xarchive and attempted to add the first file to the archive, it gave an error. I tried again from the command line and got this:

Code: Select all

from wrapper_cmd: /usr/local/lib/xarchive/wrappers/tar-wrap.sh -n /root/convert-pupsave.tar.gz /mnt/home/convert-pupsave.rc 
tar: /tmp/tartmp.a24255: Cannot write: No space left on device
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
wrapper exited with: 2
The file in question is a very small file, and there's lots of room on the two different devices I tried. Any ideas? I am using Puppy 4.3.1.

I tried a search here and found nothing. I can read from archives no problem, just writing to them fails. Is xarchive broken?

<later>
Never mind. /tmp was full, and for some reason it was full because my utility ran (it has a directory, something like plugtmp-encryption). I deleted that and everything was OK. Strange it filled up /tmp though.
Attachments
convert-pupsave.tar.gz
New version supports ext4 and reiserfs
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 463 times