Puppy Stardust 006

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zigbert

Re: not jpeg problem, wallpaper setter to blame

#41 Post by zigbert »

prehistoric wrote:Zigbert,

The wallpaper setter in Puppy Stardust 006 is in serious need of house training. After pursuing several false leads, based on the mistaken idea about jpeg libraries, I went back, and looked at the images I was using. That was when I discovered the wallpaper setter was modifying the pictures themselves, and creating a parallel directory for Originals. All the pictures I had tried were clobbered, and the files ending in jpg really didn't hold data. :shock:
Is this a specific Stadust bug, or does it also happen in Puppy 4.3.1?

Sigmund

zigbert

#42 Post by zigbert »

Rob
Thanks a lot for the xf-prot fix

Sigmund

prehistoric

clobbering wallpaper images

#43 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

My first idea, about jpeg libraries, misled me. I had tested under stock 4.3.1 and found things working that did not appear to work under Stardust. This was simply because I had not used the wallpaper setter on those images. I've now rebooted and run tests on the same machine under stock 4.3.1, and reproduced the behavior. I'm really surprised we haven't heard about this before.

I've attached a screen shot, made with stock 4.3.1, showing a bizarre collection of "Original" directories created on my home partition. The modified jpg files were corrupted, but the original is accessible in a different directory.
Attachments
screenshot-wallpaper-dirs.jpg
rescaled screen shot of directories on /mnt/home produced by wallpaper setter
(92.98 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

jpeps

#44 Post by jpeps »

No biggee...just convert the jpg's in /usr/share/background_original to png's in /usr/share/background. Bottom line...use png format for background. (although I think they worked in 005)

prehistoric

backgrounds

#45 Post by prehistoric »

jpeps wrote:No biggee...just convert the jpg's in /usr/share/background_original to png's in /usr/share/background. Bottom line...use png format for background. (although I think they worked in 005)
Getting backgrounds to work is not the problem, as you can see in that screen shot. The behavior which causes trouble is modifying files nobody expected to be modified. Creating new directories in some place where I store images I want to keep is a problem. People who take photos and want to try them on the desktop will be ticked if they lose the date and time the file was last modified. Just try to sort 1,000 pictures from a holiday without times, and you'll catch on quickly. There are ways around this, but that is not something you want naive users to run into. One scrambled collection of pictures, and the word that Puppy is too dangerous for photographers to use will get around. We don't want that.

jpeps

Re: backgrounds

#46 Post by jpeps »

prehistoric wrote:
jpeps wrote:No biggee...just convert the jpg's in /usr/share/background_original to png's in /usr/share/background. Bottom line...use png format for background. (although I think they worked in 005)
Getting backgrounds to work is not the problem, as you can see in that screen shot.
On my settup, jpg's in /usr/share/background corrupt right away, and don't load.

dalderton

#47 Post by dalderton »

Has there been a change in the CUPS program. It is working perfectly on 005 but when I made a seperate installation of 006 (both hard disk installs on separate partitions) it goes through the motions including identifying the printer involved (HP5550 Deskjet) but will not print a test page. I rebooted to 005 and it works perfectly. Any thoughts?
Other than that I have been using 005 as my primary OS and am very satisfied with it ,staying true to Barrys original with useful mods seems to be the answer.
Regards Dennis .

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

A number of us reported that we couldn't print test pages, but otherwise it works.

dalderton

#49 Post by dalderton »

jpeps Well how about that.You are right.Normally the test page works but not this time. Everything good .
Regards Dennis

zigbert

#50 Post by zigbert »

I will remove /usr/sbin/background_reshape to avoid image cropping when changing wallpaper. This is a tool Barry introduced to keep format of wallpapers when stretching. It does only work for jpgs and for pictures in 4:3 format, and relies on some apps from the netpbm package which I of course want to get rid of :) .......... to be honest, I don't see the value of such a program on Stardust. The wallpapers in the iso are all stretchable, and when user chooses his/her own, it will be chosen because it fits screen.

dalderton mentioned that printing testpage works in 005. Good news. That means it is not a font, but a netpbm tool. probably some of them......I will find out.

Sigmund

JMW4th

#51 Post by JMW4th »

From the viewpoint of a brand-new-to-linux user, I simply cannot sing enough praises about Stardust 006.

it's the most newbie-friendly puppy I've seen.

zigbert

#52 Post by zigbert »

I installed Robs xf-prot, and it seems to work. Great job, thank you!!!
Weather_station and RssFeed is also updated.

Thursday already, and our release-schedule tells us that we will meet in a Stardust 007 thread in some days. :)
Here is a sneak peek of what is coming up.

nooby

#53 Post by nooby »

I am a spoiled child.

Wanted to download the StarDust. But it says
Concurrent download limit exceeded.
does it exist in any other host? than the one at the first post.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

dalderton

#54 Post by dalderton »

Zigbert
Sorry about this but the test page will not print. The printer works fine but it will not print test page.
Incidentally I have tried most of the Puppy Derivatives and at this stage Stardust is my pick. Many Thanks Regards Dennis.

prehistoric

Prints on Samsung ML-1710

#55 Post by prehistoric »

Zigbert,

I almost reported an error when my Samsung ML-1710 did not print after I added a ppd file for it, then I remembered the bug. When I tried printing from Abiword, it worked fine. Curiously, the error message does mention a missing font. (See attached screen shot.)

I've attached the ppd file, so you can add it to your definitions. I think there are enough of these printers out there to make it worthwhile.
Attachments
Samsung-ML-1710-gdi.ppd.gz
gzipped printer definition file for Samsung ML-1710
(5.72 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
printer_error.jpg
Printer error shown by CUPS after attempting to print test page on ML-1710.
(72.93 KiB) Downloaded 381 times

zigbert

#56 Post by zigbert »

Sorry Guys, I forgot to mention, - The print-testpage-bug was also fixed yesterday.

I'm not sure about the ppd-files (because the lack of knowledge). How many of these files should we include to really improve the printer-driver situation? Then, how big would this pack be? And why hasn't this been done earlier?

Sigmund

zigbert

#57 Post by zigbert »

nooby
I don't know about any mirrors, but I downloaded from puppylinux.ca a couple of hours ago, and it worked just fine. Maybe you were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Please try again.

Sigmund

nooby

#58 Post by nooby »

Thanks but they say the same.

Concurrent download limit exceeded.

I failed to find your files there but tested pupitup iso and got same message as on Asia host

Hahahh Ttuxx told me to jsut hit F5 a few times and that worked. 5 minutes left to download now.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 29 Jan 2010, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#59 Post by nooby »

success, I write from a frugal install of Stardust now so success on my HP/Compaq Desktop computer. But Stardust could not get my Acer wired connection to work but it did wireless out of the box which is rather unique. Thanks for the pupradio thing. Very contagious.
Stardust maybe will be my preferred puppy from now on?

now that I have Stardust save file named stardust will it find that one or let me chose among many save files or does it load the first it find?

I did not write puppy pfix=ram but only pfix=ram so could the extra word there be a typo?

BE AWARE!!!!
If you have Puppy installed, you MUST run this with the prefix 'puppy pfix=ram'. Else, the Stardust desktop will not install.
Should it really be puppy pfix=ram because IIRC usually it is just pfix=ram and not puppy in front of it?

And if one do it from a USB maybe one should change from cd to usb?

Just me trying to get it right. No nitpicking.

Not to prehistoric

another work around that is much more easy is to just do F5 and that solve it.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 29 Jan 2010, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

Stardust 005 => Stardust 006 xdelta available

#60 Post by prehistoric »

Hi nooby,

If you read the post by 01micko following Zigbert's original post, you will find there is an xdelta to convert Stardust 005 to Stardust 006. If you have 005, this may get around the "concurrent download limit exceeded" problem, and cut download time as well. All the 431 puplets should have xdelta.

Zigbert,

If we were talking about the megabytes used by Windoze drivers, there would be an issue in including printer ppd files. The file above is only 28k unzipped. If you don't feel like putting all these definitions in the distribution, I'd recommend a separate pet of printer definitions. People with specific printers could install the pet, check out the printers they need, copy those ppd files to a safe place, then uninstall the pet. After that, they would only have to copy the ppd files from the safe place to /usr/share/cups/model. This would result in zero wasted space for unused printer definitions, and it would cut the frustration of finding, downloading and trying things that, for some unknown reason, don't work in Puppy.

Above, I was reporting a successful test under Stardust 006, so we know the Samsung ML-1710, like the Brother HL-2040, is supported. If you give me any encouragement, I'll check on a few other systems around, and see what printers other people are actually using. After I've tested that these work under Stardust, I'll post the ppd file I used.

Regards,

prehistoric