Grub4DosConfig

Miscellaneous tools
shinobar

Grub4DosConfig

#1 Post by shinobar »

Grub4DosConfig is the Grub4Dos boot loader with GUI installer.
The name 'Grub4Dos' can be confusing but it is actually 'Grub NOT ONLY for Dos'. Grub4dos supports many file system: NTFS, VFAT, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4. ReiserFS is supported by v1.6.9 and later. Grub4dos is upper compatible with (legacy) grub, can do all the legacy grub can do.

Document:
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/grub4dosconfig.html

Recent:
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.4.pet (2018-09-18)
http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/

If it is the first time you use the grub4dosconfig, you are strongly recommended to make rescue media before you apply it on the internal hard disk drive:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61348

Known issue with 64-bit Ext4 filesystem
Ext4 partitions created by recent Linux make trouble with Grub4Dos.
You can avoid this issue converting the filesystem to 32-bit ext4.
See topics: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111376

How to make Grub4Dos boot live CD?
See The HOW TO
Or, the topic of remasterpup2..

How to use Grub4Dos for USB drives
A video tutorial

How to make a rescue FD/USB
or read the Quickset document for an example.

How to install Puppy on Windows PC
http://shino.pos.to/linux/lupq/puppydualboot.html
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61796

NOTE on the MBR:
Grub4DosConfig usually overwrites the existing MBR.
If you like to recover the MBR of windows, you can use Windows Installer CD.
But you cannot recover for the PC's which has special MBR made by the manufacturer. you are strongly encouraged to make rescue media before you apply on the hard disk drive:
Some PC's without CD drive and the Windows recovery system is on the HDD. In this case, the boot menu may mislead to the recovery OS instead of usual Windows.
The grub4dosconfig v1.6.1 and later supports these multiple installed Windows. Or you can manually edit the menu.lst adding the entry.

In this case from the beginning, it cannot boot up the Puppy Live CD.
For the case, we developed the installer for the Windows.
It need not CD and does not replace the existing MBR.
See the topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

Older versions and changes:
#2018-09-18 v1.9.4: merge woof, fix chain loading grub2, always install wee as for mbr, fix for full installed (mavrothal)
#2018-08-03 v1.9.3: fix chain loading grub2, always install wee as for mbr, fix for full installed (mavrothal)
#20Jul14 v1.9.2: grub2, titles, bootable mbr detection
#19nov13 v1.9.1: fix was failed full install on usb flash, my puppy, safe mode options
#25sep13 v1.9: do not use uuid for removable media, fix was failed safe mode (thanks to bigpup), fix the top puppy
#17may13 v1.8.9: multiple Windows in the advanced menu, porteus
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.8.0.pet (2012-06-15)
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/
Upgrade is required for all the distributions using 3.x kernels.
#15jun12 v1.8.0: fix was no Safe mode nor RAM mode
#15jun12 v1.8: fix was failed to install on floppy with recent kernels like Wary/Racy-5.3 and etc., fix menu header was problem with splash image, detectiong slitaz and fatdog
# 28apr12 v1.7.9: improved detecting special puppies like LHP, advanced menu, old menus, legacy grub compatible menu, splash image, text domain, exit status
New features
Translations: Calling for translations. The .pot file at /usr/share/doc/nls/grub4doscinfig. The help file at /usr/share/doc/help/C/grub4dosconfig.html.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.2.pet
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/
Already stable but still you are encouraged to give feed back as a replay of this topic.
Note that running grub4dosconfig from a virtual terminal shows some debugging messages.
Changes:
[list][*]15jan12 v1.7.2: fix was mmc card(ex. mmcblk0p1) failed(thanks to jemimah), which vmlinuz and initrd should be taken(thanks to Karl)
[*]29oct11 v1.7.1: fix was failed with ext4(thanks to jim3630), drive letter, gtkdialog4 thanks to 01micko, help button, no sort probepart, bootable check
[*]10feb11 v1.7: sort the probepart result, install on internal or removable drives, fix typo at checking boot_part
[*]19jan11 v1.6d9.1: fix was failed installing on floppy(thanks to yordanj94), pmedia option
[*]16jan11 v1.6d9: PBS support, reiserfs support, plop support, bootable PBS[/list]
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.6.3.pet (Update: 27 Nov 2010) Download from here
V1.6.9.1 bugfix:[list][*]fix was failed installing on floppy(thanks to yordanj94), pmedia option[/list]
V1.6.9 new features:
[list][*]Partition Boot Sector(PBS) install
[*]Reiserfs support[/list]
V1.6.x new features:
[list][*]ext4 full support
[*]UUID for locating full installs
[*]Grub2 chain load[/list]

Known issue of older versions:
[list][*]USB flash devices treated by the 'BootFlash' corrupts with Grub4DosConfig v1.6.x.
Grub4DosConfig v1.6.3 manages this issue, but you can avoid this by re-formating the USB device using gparted before using Grub4DosConfig (back up the data before).
1.Delete all the partition
2.Rewrite the partition table (Device >> Create Partition Table)
3.Create partitions and format.
[*](Fixed in v1.6.2)Some PC has recovery Windows on the first partition and the usual Windows on the second. The Windows boot menu the grub4dosconfig gives misleads to the recovery Windows instead of the usual Windows. Add the item in the /mnt/sda1/menu.lst:
Note (hd0,1) can be other numbers.
[code]Title Windows on /dev/sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1[/code]
If you boot from the removable USB media, swapping map is needed. See the post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=96
[*](Fixed in v1.6.2)'Ram mode' menu fails. Please edit menu.lst manually(add 'find' line which is missing) :
[quote]title lupq-511 (sda3/puppy5)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy5/initrd.gz
kernel /puppy5/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy5 pfix=fsck
initrd /puppy5/initrd.gz

title lupq-511 (sda3/puppy5) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy withot pupsave
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy5/initrd.gz
kernel /puppy5/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy5 pfix=ram,fsck
initrd /puppy5/initrd.gz[/quote]
[*](Fixed in v1.6.2)The 'Puppy options' entry does not work. Please edit menu.lst manually if you need.[/list]

Older version: grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.5.3.pet (Update: 2 Nov 2010)
Screen shot (opening)
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 05:41, edited 75 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

JustGreg

#2 Post by JustGreg »

I have been using Grub4Dos with my 2goPc since I got it. It does work. It has many abilities, such as booting Puppy or other linux from within Windows. One should read the web page for Grub4Dos before using it. It can modifiy the master boot record (MBR) and cause problems. I do like it. But, as always, if one is manipulating the MBR one needs to be well informed on what is going to happen. Please do take any of the above as complaint about Grub4Dos. The use of Grub, Syslinux, or LILO can cause similar problems.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

JustGreg,

you are so right,
One should read the web page for Grub4Dos before using it.
Sadly I am not good at such text. I have used computers since Sinclair came with his Z80 computer 197x something. I have owned very many computers and always been interested in Assembler programming and such. Forth was my fave programming language.

But something has happen to my head. I fail to understand abstract text so
sure I ahve read " the web page for Grub4Dos before using it."

But fail to get how to undestand the text.

but I have successfully made use of NeoGrub and that worked.

I added puppy in frugal install on a Vista machine that had ubuntu in wubi install so trippel boot.

How is Grub4Dos different from NeoGrub? Can I use NeoGrub to do the same as Grub4Dos?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

JustGreg

#4 Post by JustGreg »

Nooby,

Here is a web page that may help you:
http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki/in ... s_tutorial

I know nothing about NeoGrub. I can not comment about the differences between Grub4Dos and NeoGrub. Maybe you could post the web page address that has information on NeoGrub so others may become familar with it. This way by sharing information, everyone can benefit.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Oops sorry. maybe the name is EasyBCD and NeoGrub is the name of a program within the EBCD program.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/NeoGrub

I read it maybe two or three times and had not clue on what the text was about then it took me a month to get enough courage to just use it and it simply worked and now I have a tripple boot of win Vista, Jolicloud version of ubuntu 9.10 and Puppeee 4.3.1 and I will also add Macpup there and others to test them out. All frugal install except win that was OEM installed.

Macpup did n't work on my Acer but works well on my HP/Compaq.

shinobar

if you are afraid of...

#6 Post by shinobar »

JustGreg wrote:It can modifiy the master boot record (MBR) and cause problems.
Don't worry. grub4dos can be installed on floppy disk or on USB flash drive.
Or the live CD of Puppy 4.3.1 Japanese edition can boot up your Windows.

Once you have one of the media, grub4dos installed floppy, USB flash or Live CD, be not affraid to rewrite MBR.

Grub4dosconfig GUI automatically detects frugal or full installed puppy, ububtu wubi, other linux, and boots up Windows 9x to 7.
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

grub4dos can be applied in to ways...for sensitive situations I use it by adding a line to windows boot.ini so not touching the windows boot mechanism...its more like adding a program....indeed that's how I first used it when i was a nervous linux newbie :D
Otherwise I use it in true grub mode , writing to the mbr with bootlace.com and letting it handle booting everything including windows from its menu.lst.

It also works nicely on usb flash memory and even CD.

Certainly being able to avoid repartitioning and boot mechanism fiddling is definately its most attractive feature....destroying a windows installation is not the way to attract new linux users.

mike

ps it works nicely with the graphical menu too....very smart..presentation is important..http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50108

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

I certainly have to try it then!
Certainly being able to avoid repartitioning and boot mechanism fiddling is definately its most attractive feature....destroying a windows installation is not the way to attract new linux users.
That is what I like too and to my surprise it was impossible to find a single linux user agreeing with me on that on LinuxQuestions forum and on Ubuntuforums and on two Ubuntu forums in Swedish so three forums turned frugal install down.

Okay back to my problem.

1. I already have Win Vista installed by OEM and I want to keep it that way.
2. I installed jolicloud with wubi and want to change that to Linux Mint but their forum tells me they don't know how to make compatible with tripple boot.

Can Grub4Dos do that with Mint 8.0?

3. I have a frugal install with Puppeee 4.3.1 and want to add many other Puppy pupitup and MacPup and many others.

Do I have to start all over then at point 2.) ???

And let Grub4Dos install Linux Mint 8.0 and how does one do that? To then add Puppy I most likely know how to.

The good thing would be that if I go Grub4Dos then I am compatible with coming Quirky that I also want to try.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

When one use Grub4Dos then they tell you to use BCDedit to change things.

http://www.vistaforums.com/FORUM/Topic587-9-1.aspx
To edit the Windows Vista Boot Menu Options, the Boot Configuration

Data Editor - BCDEDIT is used.
As I get it the EasyBCD is a Graphic version of BCDEDIT?

So when I earlier referred to NeoGrub I most likely talked about a competing software that combine features from Grub4Dos and BDCedit making it even easier to use because as a noob one don't like to use the CLI of BCDedit on Windows.

Okay I need to read more and maybe ask somebody who have used both Neosmart version of EasyBCD NeoGrub and can compare them with Grub4dos.

shinobar

#10 Post by shinobar »

nooby wrote:When one use Grub4Dos then they tell you to use BCDedit to change things.
Hi nooby, forget BCDedit.
as mikeb sais, there are 2 way to apply grub4dos. One is that keep MBR and modify BCD, and another keep BCD and replace MBR.

try grub4dos with floppy or USB flash. it is the third way that keep both MBR and BCD.
Once you confirm the grub4dos can boot up your vista and linuxes, why not install grub4dos on MBR.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Opps I feel very dense now *Big friendly smile*

you mean I put Grub4Dos as such on the USB penddrive together with puppy or I use the USB to point to the right place on the HDD for the three puppy files?

then I know that Grub4Dos is set up the right way without disturbing the HDD? And when I know this then I click on install on MBR?

First I have to unintstall the chainloaded thing I already have?

I mean I have tripple boot now so that must be restored so G4D can recognize something it is familiar with?

Yes I want to try I am just unsure if thge logistic of the order in how to do things.

shinobar

first step

#12 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:try grub4dos with floppy or USB flash.
floppy is recommended if your pc has floppy drive.
if your pc has no floppy drives and can boot up from USB pendrive, follow next steps.
  1. bootup any puppy 4.x, maybe Puppeee 4.3.1 is ok.
  2. install grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.5.2.pet
  3. plug in a formated USB pendrive (needs 220kB free)
  4. start up grub4dosconfig
  5. select 'sdb' (assuming it is the pendrive) as 'where to install'. then it writes 2 files and the boot record on the pendrive but nothing on the HDD.
  6. leave the checkboxes all off
  7. click 'OK'
  8. hopefully grub4dosconfig lists up allready installed linuxes
  9. it also lists up 3 windows item. leave 'Windows Vista/7' and blank out as for 'Windows 9x/ME' and 'NT/2000/XP'.
  10. proceed grub4dosconfig to install the boot loader on the pendrive
  11. reboot pc. you may need to setup the BIOS to bootup from USB pendrive
good luck!

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

Thanks indeed for taking time to make such a detailed description. Unfortunately my noob status fails to grasp some of the steps.

I guess I have to just test and see what happens. The problem is that I don't want to mess up the computer it is just one year old and the one I use daily and just now. So want it to just work. So feel very unsure what your text really means practically.

I get back when I have dared to test.

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

I have read you text several times now. Maybe 5 times.

As I get it this gives me an USB that can boot any kind of iso if the machine allow usb boot?

What I want is a HDD frugal boot where you start up the computer and you see a page at boot that allow you to chose either

1. Windows Vista.
2. Linux Mint
3. Grub4Dos or Neogrub
(any kind of iso or vmlinuz, initrd of folders like puppy431, MacPup, Pupitup, Quirky, etc. and other linux that allow for frugal install

I also want to boot from USB or DVD if the linux distro fails allow frugal install.

What I don't want is change of Vista so it fail to boot if I uninstall the whole shebang.
Last edited by nooby on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#15 Post by JustGreg »

Nooby,

Please look at this "How to" at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39499

It should help. I found it by searching on Grub4Dos. It addresses Vista.

Thank you, Shinobar for posting the pet and information. I will have to take another look at grub4Dos. I have been using Grub since it comes with Puppy.
Last edited by JustGreg on Sat 13 Feb 2010, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

Thanks, I got directed to it some other way too. Thanks indeed for telling me.

Unfortunately he makes a partition which I will not do.

But most likely I can use it anyway just changing where the boot is placed. 0,0 instead of 0,1 or so.

shinobar

Forget BCDeditor

#17 Post by shinobar »

Funny.
Why you are so coward in replacing the MBR but dare to modify the BCD.
Modifying BCD is more dangerous than replacing MBR. Forget BCDeditor.

If your PC can boot up from CD, try Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Japanese edition live CD.
It can boot up Windows even if the MBR is broken. (The menu item 'Bootup from HDD' uses the MBR but 'Windows Vista' without the MBR of HDD.)
But it cannot if the BCD is broken.

To learn what is grub4dosconfig, one way is to see what happens with 431JP and the grub4dosconfig.
Start up the Grub4DosConfig (it is pre-installed on 431JP) for a test, and get back at the final confirmation dialog.
It is harmless as long as you get back before it finishes.

Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Japanese edition is Japanese/English bilingual. so you can try it.
I recommend 4.3.1JPqs0 (Quickset version) available from here . it can easily change the language.

Be shure bootup with 'on RAM only' mode to try.

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

But I am not alone in suggesting EasyBCD as the more easy to use one.

But I will try to use your approach too.

It is a good think me is coward. Usually everything does broke in peaces when I even look at the thing and if I touch it then it just fail and are hard to get going again. :)

Will be away for hours but maybe give feedback in a few days.
thansk indeed for suggesting things

JustGreg

#19 Post by JustGreg »

Here is a suggestion for you. If you are afraid of casuing a major problem with the hard disk, then try everything first on USB thumb (flash) drive. I have found that 256 megabyte drive is more than sufficient for Puppy. I have a long suffering 128 megabyte drive that has been used since Puppy version 2.0 for experiments.

A USB thumb drive can be made to look like a hard drive. Use the Puppy Bootflash install tool under setup to first install the Puppy of your choice. Do not use Quirky at this time. Use one of the many standard releases. It will be a frugal installation. Once the installation is complete, one can reboot to make sure it works.

You can then use it with Shinobar information to try out Grub4Dos. This way the hard drive is not touched until you know how to do it and can make a working Puppy frugal installation.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Greg, yes maybe that would work.

So if I get it. I use my old puppy I have on CD or DVD and tell it to make the USB into a frugal install usb.

Then I tell Puppy to place grub on it?

or is that done automatically during the install and when I start up the USB then it show a boot thing with windows Vista and Puppy on it to chose and if I edit the menu.lst then I can add frugal installs on the HDD to start up?

Hm ok. I have a 1GB pendrive free to use. formatted in Fat 32 so that would work with both puppy and to be read by Vista. That is good.

And then I can use Grub4Dos to add new entries to the usb that doesn't change the grubs on the HDD. Me learning to use it in the meantime.

Ok. I can give it a try.

But but but.

EasyBCD has NeoGrub on it and that is a regular Greb4Dos that Neosmart tech has special made to be even easier to use so why should I go the longer way around using first Puppy and then Grub4Dos if Neogrub already is same?

Then we have the problem with grub and grub2 not being the same?

which use which. Does not my one year old puppy 3 use the old grub and not the new grub needed for Vista? I know nothing I just remember vaguely something warning about grub and grub2 not the same.