Jackbeat - does there exist a pet?

Using applications, configuring, problems
zigbert

Jackbeat - does there exist a pet?

#1 Post by zigbert »

I have installed Ardour and rakarrack (guitar-effects). Now I am heading for a drum-machine. I have earlier tried Hydrogen, which I found nice, but it relies on QT. It would be better using a gtk app if it does the job...... Jackbeat looks good, but since I'm not a compiler, I was hoping for a pet. (I know, - it's hard to be a newbie).

Sigmund

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

Have you tried src2pkg? It makes creating packages really -I mean *really* easy, even if you know nothing about compiling or scripting.

If you have your devx??.sfs setup, just download this pet and install it:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... arch-7.pet

Then, open a terminal and run 'src2pkg --setup'. The, you can build packages really easy -just navigate to the sources, right click on the filer background and choose 'open xterm here' (under Window menu) and run:
src2pkg -PET name-of-tarball
There are plenty of CLI options, but usually you won't need many to create al sorts of packages -most packages won't need any extra options at all. If you have upx installed, just add '-Z2' to the options to have bins compressed -there are lots of options for creating smaller packages once you get comfortable with the main options. It will even write a script for you with any extra options which were needed to build the package.

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

amigo
Thank you for your tips.

No, I have not tried src2pkg (only the old school with 'configure/make'). - What seems obvious to me, is that good compiling requires specific skill. I am happy to have some of those around me in this forum.....That gives me more time for Puppy scripting......and we get a working community.

But, if there doesn't exist a jackbeat pet, I must try your advice (some day). You mentioned upx. - Is that a compression tool ? (I have dumped into some the compiling discussions.) How does upx work, and what do I need to get it working?

Sigmund

aragon

#4 Post by aragon »

hi zigbert,

will give it a go, one question:
i assume you'll need jack-support, correct?

aragon

aragon

#5 Post by aragon »

something to test, i can't...

jackbeat deps:
- jack
- liblo
- portaudio
attached liblo/portaudio are stripped, but include also the dev-files.

maybe gneutronica also helps.

compiled in 4.31. maybe test in a clean install.

EDIT: AS THE PACKAGE SEEMS TO WORK, IT HAS MOVED HERE:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51765

good luck
aragon
Last edited by aragon on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

aragon
Only one thing to say.....Thank you!

Sigmund

zigbert

#7 Post by zigbert »

......what are those dev-files...... and upx?

aragon

#8 Post by aragon »

zigbert wrote:......what are those dev-files...... and upx?
the dev-files are (only) needed if you compile apps/libs against those libs. usually you would pack them into a seperate package, but on this testing stage i let them in, to easily compile again.

if you confirm that jackbeat is working, i will move the packages to the software-thread and build seperate packages for all.

regarding upx:
you could get it here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31217

it is a compression-tool for executables. but my feelings about it are ambivalent. i only use it for 'very' large applications (if stripping does not give good results). while it does a great job with compressing, the pet-size of the package will still be large as the app is allready compressed. and there should be problems with including upx'ed apps in sfs-files.

so i only use it in certain cases nowadays.

aragon

zigbert

#9 Post by zigbert »

jackbeat seems to work perfectly as standalone drum-machine using alsa. I need to test it further in cooperation with ardour/jack. For those of you who want to use it, you need some sampled drum-sounds. I have attached a very basic drumkit.

Jackbeat-loops can be downloaded from http://jackbeat.samalyse.org/wiki/MusicExamples
More sample-sounds can be downloaded from http://free-loops.com/audio.php?term=drum%20kit

Sigmund

zigbert

#10 Post by zigbert »

aragon
Thanks for explanation!

aragon

#11 Post by aragon »

zigbert wrote:jackbeat seems to work perfectly as standalone drum-machine using alsa. I need to test it further in cooperation with ardour/jack.
please test a little more (with jack) and send me a note, if it works. i will then upload it to the software-section.

aragon

zigbert

#12 Post by zigbert »

I can't find any problems with jackbeat. Both alsa and jack works great.

It's a winner :D

tasmod

#13 Post by tasmod »

Have you been here Zigbert ?

http://linux-sound.org/
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

aragon

#14 Post by aragon »

zigbert wrote:I can't find any problems with jackbeat. Both alsa and jack works great.

It's a winner :D
:D will move it to add. software tomorrow.

aragon