How to install Puppy without a floppy drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
efc

How to install Puppy without a floppy drive?

#1 Post by efc »

I have a computer with two HDs on which the C: drive contains another Linux distribution. I would like to install the latest version of Puppy on D: drive.

My problem is that the installation process requires a floppy disk to create an emergency disk. This is a problem since I do not have a floppy. I have not been able to get beyond this step.

How do I circumvent the floppy drive issue?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

It's pretty easy. Most of the answers you need can be found in the topic called "How to Dualboot Win98/Puppy?" on this same page.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Start up with option 4 and do a type 2 install. You should be able to select /dev/hdb(x) from there?
Also fit an FDD ASAP - not having one is a DWintel conspiracy. Strike a blow for freedom - use a floppy-disc-a-day!

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Curious? No delete option on this site??
Seems two of us were trying to reply simultaneously.

efc

#5 Post by efc »

My issue becomes more of a problem since the drive is new - without partitions. After reading installation procedure it looks like I need a formatted partition before the installation can take place.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

You don't need a formatted partition, just a type 83 partition, that's all.

Where did you read that it needed to be formatted?

efc

#7 Post by efc »

During installation process the following appears.

"Puppy can only read from a ntfs partition, will not write to it. ...If your situation is that you have say Win XP installed and the hard drive is one big ntfs c:drive, then you will have to go away and find some software tool to resize the partition and create a vfat partition."

My solution was to install Ubuntu to that drive. That got rid of the ntfs partition. I will try to install Puppy in a few days. I think it will work next time.