Wine 1.1.30 + winetricks +color setter +goodies ...pet & sfs

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
mikeb

#301 Post by mikeb »

Thanks a lot for your help and Best Wishes for 2010!
No problem and the same to you :) .

So if you do happen to remaster make sure the symlink /root/.wine is removed first to avoid hair pulling later...just pop it in after the first boot.

mike

ps just a though...If you happen to have dedicated a whole partition to this your link could go to /mnt/sd(x)...just a thought.

pps..there are ext2/3 drivers for windows...might come in handy

technosaurus

#302 Post by technosaurus »

I just compiled wine 1.1.35, but I did not yet add support for some of the features not included in Puppy (gsm, openal, mpg123, gnutls, capi)

http://puppy-development.googlecode.com ... 5-i486.pxt

I may add mpg123 later, but I want to try and patch the build system to use shared instead of static libwpp and libwine_port because it could significantly reduce the size (400 files in /usr/lib/wine statically linking 100+kb is a bit significant and make the smallest files over 70kb)... the Git developers do the same thing. This is also probably a contributing factor to why xz gets such better compression.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

green_dome

#303 Post by green_dome »

I installed wine-1.1.35-i486.pxt. When attempting to run the game, FlatOut, it gives me the error message about a debugger detected. Since FlatOut refuses to run, I will share my novice attempt at compiling wine 1.1.35.

wine-1.1.35-i486.pet (release 1)
wine_DEV-1.1.35-i486.pet (release1) (development package)
wine_DOC-1.1.35-i486.pet (release 1) (documentation package)

I installed these packages before compiling:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet

For help with Gecko, look here

When trying to use winetricks, the GUI appears to be a long horizontal menu that goes off the screen to the right. Since I have difficulty accessing the rest of the menu, I use the console to install packages from winetricks. For help with this I use the code:

Code: Select all

winetricks -h
[source]

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post
Last edited by green_dome on Fri 25 Dec 2009, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

abushcrafter

#304 Post by abushcrafter »

winetricks -h
thanks for that. btw you can use the alt key pressed and click and drag it to get the rest of it :)

Frank Cox

Wine 1.31

#305 Post by Frank Cox »

This is probably a dumb question but will wine work on a ntfs partition?
I am running Puppy 4.31 on a ntfs frugal setup and wine installed and it let me install a program but when I try to open it nothing happens.
When I try again it says it is already running and would I like to open another ?
That does nothing either.

Would someone please answer my question? I posted it more than a week ago,thanks!

green_dome

#306 Post by green_dome »

Here is my attempt at compiling wine 1.1.36.

wine-1.1.36-i486.pet (release 1) | mirror
wine_DEV-1.1.36-i486.pet (release 1) (development package) | mirror
wine_DOC-1.1.36i486.pet (release 1) (documentation package) | mirror

I installed these packages before compiling:
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet

For help with Gecko, look here

I use the console to install packages from winetricks. For help with this I use

winetricks -h
[source]

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post.
Last edited by green_dome on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#307 Post by mikeb »

As long as its inside the pup_save it should be no problem.
Since you can install then it must be working so the problem may simply be that wine cannot run your program or it needs windows libraries adding.

Look the program up at
http://appdb.winehq.org/

The other way is to run from a terminal and look for clues in the error messages.
wine /path/to/windows.exe
Some programs need you to
cd /path/to/program/folder
first otherwise they cannot find themselves.
You will find all the wine stuff in /root/.wine which is a hidden file so click on the eye...It may make more sense if you look around in there.

This thread tends to be busy and problems tend to get missed as the focus is on the package itself so I recommend making a fresh post when you have a specific problem.

mope that helps

mike

just a thought...I'm assuming you have enough space in your pup_save for all this;.

Frank Cox

Wine

#308 Post by Frank Cox »

mikeb wrote:
As long as its inside the pup_save it should be no problem.
Since you can install then it must be working so the problem may simply be that wine cannot run your program or it needs windows libraries adding.

Look the program up at
http://appdb.winehq.org/

The other way is to run from a terminal and look for clues in the error messages.
wine /path/to/windows.exe
Some programs need you to
cd /path/to/program/folder
first otherwise they cannot find themselves.
You will find all the wine stuff in /root/.wine which is a hidden file so click on the eye...It may make more sense if you look around in there.

This thread tends to be busy and problems tend to get missed as the focus is on the package itself so I recommend making a fresh post when you have a specific problem.

mope that helps

mike

just a thought...I'm assuming you have enough space in your pup_save for all this;.
I have enough space and I know where the drive c is. When I did a search at winehq It said the program was not there even though I know it is. I will try again. When I try to run it in terminal it says no such file.

Thanks for answering.

mikeb

#309 Post by mikeb »

When I try to run it in terminal it says no such file.
well it may look something like

wine "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Your Program/Program.exe"

If you find the exe file in rox and press '/' the path appears..you can highlight and middle click to paste in a terminal

mike

Frank Cox

Esword problem

#310 Post by Frank Cox »

mikeb wrote:
When I try to run it in terminal it says no such file.
well it may look something like

wine "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Your Program/Program.exe"

If you find the exe file in rox and press '/' the path appears..you can highlight and middle click to paste in a terminal

mike
That is what I did. /root/.wine/Drive_C/E-sword/esword.exe .

Thanks anyway.

maybe you can answer this, how can you get past the first page on the wine Internet Explorer or can you? My pastor has to use IE to order from the food bank.

Thanks

mikeb

#311 Post by mikeb »

maybe you can answer this, how can you get past the first page on the wine Internet Explorer or can you? My pastor has to use IE to order from the food bank.
Hmm very limited as the only way to navigate is through links. Odd really as I have the same gecko on windows as an IE substitute for years and it has much more control. A lot of wine developement seems to be aimed at games rather than more serious applications. Are you talking about a website or an embedded feature? If it's a website does it work in opera/firefox as others have linked the iexplore binary to them.(the windows versions)
That is what I did. /root/.wine/Drive_C/E-sword/esword.exe..
with wine?...do you get any error messages?

mike

Frank Cox

Esword

#312 Post by Frank Cox »

mikeb wrote:
Hmm very limited as the only way to navigate is through links. Odd really as I have the same gecko on windows as an IE substitute for years and it has much more control. A lot of wine developement seems to be aimed at games rather than more serious applications. Are you talking about a website or an embedded feature? If it's a website does it work in opera/firefox as others have linked the iexplore binary to them.(the windows versions)
That is what I did. /root/.wine/Drive_C/E-sword/esword.exe..
with wine?...do you get any error messages?

mike
As far as the browser problem FireDog was accepted so that problem is solved.

No I don't get anything , it just sits there. There is an installer used to install into Ubuntu but I cannot get it to run in Puppy.

mikeb

#313 Post by mikeb »

No I don't get anything , it just sits there.
well that is strange ...normally there is a stream of messages if there is a problem and sometimes a few even if it does work....did the windows installer run ok?
mike

davids45

#314 Post by davids45 »

G'day Frank Cox,

I too have fun & games getting XP programs to run particularly from the menus because of path or icon issues.

It may be nothing but you've got "Drive_C" when I think it should be "drive_c"? Check your cases are exactly right - also use quotation marks if the directory has a space in it like "Program Files".

And thanks, green_dome, for wine-1.1.36. I have set uo your latest wine pet as an sfs including all my installed XP programs and it all works well.

David S.

Frank Cox

#315 Post by Frank Cox »

mikeb wrote:
No I don't get anything , it just sits there.
well that is strange ...normally there is a stream of messages if there is a problem and sometimes a few even if it does work....did the windows installer run ok?
mike
That is what is so weird, the installer works perfectly. I just can't run it.
When I tried lodging in to the terminal it gave me a list of information about Japanese versions available. I can't get the installer to execute.
I installed it in Ubuntu with an installer and it runs better in Ubuntu than in windows.

Another user figured out how to copy the Ubuntu install into Puppy.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 046#383046

I would rather install directly but at least I will be able to do it.

Frank Cox

E-Sword

#316 Post by Frank Cox »

G'day David,

It may be that simple , it is my luck to beat my head in to the wall over incredible simple things.
Thanks for the tip, I was unaware that it should be a lower case and "Program Files" in case of a space.

Thanks

mikeb

#317 Post by mikeb »

Hmm odd one...well cloning from ubuntu might be the way. I have cloned from windows before...it depends on how much the registry is used. Indeed the registry is not always written to as intended.
I assume you tried to cd to the program folder to eliminate that one

mike

does it use 3d?opengl installed or one of the other soft dependancies...ldap.

Frank Cox

esword

#318 Post by Frank Cox »

mikeb wrote:Hmm odd one...well cloning from ubuntu might be the way. I have cloned from windows before...it depends on how much the registry is used. Indeed the registry is not always written to as intended.
I assume you tried to cd to the program folder to eliminate that one

mike

does it use 3d?opengl installed or one of the other soft dependancies...ldap.
Hi Mike:

Never assume anything I might have done, I am very green at Linux.:}

According to the guys that did this the creator of E-Sword made it basically stand alone and have had no registry issues.
Our Australian mate noticed the path was in the wrong format,that drive c should not be capitalized and that Program Files should be in quotation marks but I do not know the commands to correct it.

I changed to the .Wine directory but it said no such command when I went to Program Files\E-sword\esword.exe. .
Could you tell me how to bring up the path in a text editor to correct the format?

Thanks!

mikeb

#319 Post by mikeb »

Hmmm if you navigate in rox to where the program is then press '/' the path will show up at the bottom...you can copy it from there but remember as there will be spaces enclose it in " " eg

cd "/initrd/mnt/dev_save/apps/wine/drive_c/Program Files/NCH Swift Sound/Switch/"
wine "/initrd/mnt/dev_save/apps/wine/drive_c/Program Files/NCH Swift Sound/Switch/switch.exe"
wine will also accept \(as \\) and is not case sensitive like windows since it is a windows emulator which is not an emulator.

spaces can also be escaped ie
program\ files
can be used instead of
"program files"

end of lesson 3.2..you may go to the library for study..

mike

green_dome

#320 Post by green_dome »

Perhaps you mean e-sword.exe instead of esword.exe

There appear to be several tips in the appdb to get the program working. I have tried a few tips, and at least the program starts on my computer, I do not know about it fully functioning with all features though.