Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 04:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Released 4.3.1 Japanese Edition
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
YoN

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 00:36    Post subject:  Released 4.3.1 Japanese Edition  

We Puppy Linux Japanese Team take great pride in announcing that we released 4.3.1 Japanese version!

We could released 4.3.1JP many advanced contribution by Shinobar and many forum member.

There are more bug fixs from original english version though 4.3.1 is a bug fix from version 4.3.

There are three kinds of ISO files. Please see the release note in detail.
4.3.1JP Release note in english:
4.3.1JPRelease note

You can download 4.3.1JP isos from Puppy Linux Openlab English site.

Download:
431JP(119MB) : Newest kernel 2.6.30.5、(SMP support)
http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/pup-431JP.iso (119MB)
md5:
http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/pup-431JP.iso.md5.txt

431stdJP(118MB): kernel 2.6.25.16
http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/pup-431stdJP.iso (118MB)
md5:
http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/pup-431stdJP.iso.md5.txt

431retroJP(117MB) : kernel 2.6.21.7(SCSI support)
http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/pup-431retroJP.iso (117MB)
md5:
http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/pup-431retroJP.iso.md5.txt
From Shinobar's release note ------------------------
Differences from original version
1. Japanese locale is 'ja_JP.UTF-8', whereas 'ja_JP.utf8' in the original version.
2. Some reading rules of the main SFS file and additional SFS file are different from the original 4.3.1.
* Only the file name 'pup-431.sfs' of the main SFS file is permitted in original version. The customized SFS file is treated by adding the character string after '431' such as 'pup-431JP.sfs' in a Japanese version.
* When two or more main SFS files exist in PC, and which SFS file might likely to be adopted, it to be different in a Japanese version and an original version.
* In a Japanese version, addition SFS file is read from either of /mnt/home or /mnt/home/puppy when saved personal storage file 'pupsave.2fs' in the subdirectory /mnt/home/puppy. However, only the ones that exists in /mnt/home is effective with the original version.
Additional change on 4.3.1JP
* Extra SFS files are loaded in the order of that the 'BootManager' specified.
* 4.30JP did not read additional SFS files from subdirectories: fixed.
* Files on the main SFS can be overridden by extra SFS files same as PET packages do.
(snip)
4. Additional softwares only on the Japanese version
* pupsaveconfig 1.6.2 : GUI of personal storage file setting at the first time shutdown.
* Grub4Dos 0.4.4.v1 : A bootloader supports ntfs, with GUI configurator.
etc.
5. Improvement of drive recognition
The original version has a problem that some drives are not recognized at the first stage of the startup when the PC has two or more HDD and/or bootups from USB thumb drive/HDD. However, the improvement is added in the Japanese version.
*snip*
----------------------------------------------------
Sample image of Grub4Dos in Puppy Linux 4.3.1JP:

Most increases in the size of the ISO file are due to the dictionary for Japanese(or Koeran, Chinese, etc) input.
(Original Puppy431=105MB vs Japanese Puppy431=119MB)

Thank you.

Last edited by YoN on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 01:28; edited 2 times in total
russoodle

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 06:15    Post subject:  

Congratulations YoN....it looks like very much hard work has gone into your JP release...i hope there'll be many very happy users Smile

Grub4Dos looks great!

(I've placed a link to your download site on my links page)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 07:35    Post subject:  

Very nice logo on your booter:)
Added your Image and link here.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/japaneseLanguage

cthisbear

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 17:41    Post subject:  

YoNs Puplet has a brilliant Startup.

Note to other developers.
Much easier for newbies.

Chris.
puppyiso

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2009, 11:26    Post subject:  

Most increases in the size of the ISO file are due to the dictionary for Japanese(or Koeran, Chinese, etc) input.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you be more specific about the statememt?

Can I type Korean letters?

John
shinobar

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 03:41    Post subject:  

puppyiso wrote:
Can I type Korean letters?

Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Japanese Edition is basically Japanese/English bilingual.
You need additional sfs files from here for extra languages.

(Edit:18 Dec 2009)Found that lang_support_ko/zh-0.5 on 4.3.1JP hangs X server.
Use lang_support_ko/zh-0.6_431 for 4.3.1JP.

• lang_support_ko-0.6_431.sfs ... Korean
  • lang_support_zh-0.6_431.sfs ... Chinese(simplified and traditional)
  • lang_support_additional-0.1-sfs4.sfs ... Others including Thai, Hindi, and etc..
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan 2010, 18:55    Post subject: 431 Japanese Edition Solves Wireless Problem
Subject description: Only 431 to do so at this time

To YoN, Shinobar and the rest of the Japanese Team --Great Job! javascript:emoticon('Surprised')

To Puppy Fans who don't read or write Japanese and so may have been reluctant to try this Puplet, put aside your concerns. I don't read or write Japanese either.
This is the first Puppy based on the 2.6.30.5 kernel which enabled me to access the internet using my wireless adapter. Barry K's didn't. Sadly, ttuuxx's didn't. And tempestuous' extra drivers didn't. I have a D-Link WNA 1330. I works fine in the 2 & 3 series using ndiswrapper, and in the 4.1 series using the built-in Atheros driver. I don't recall having a wireless problem with the 4.2 series, but as it didn't work well on my Thinkpad 600e, didn't use it much. I should note that to get on the internet using Barry K's 431 retro, which uses the 2.6.25.16 kernel, I had to resort to ndiswrapper. And while I'm happy with my remastered 4.12, curiosity and concern for "being left behind" by technological advances spurred a desire to find a Puppy based on the newest kernel which "just worked." Therefore, I'm pleased to report that the pup-431jp.iso does and I am writing from a LiveCD burned using it. I must admit that I have not, as yet, tried tempestuous' madwifi-hal.pet,
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47267 and, so, am using ndiswrapper, but my philosophy is that "a bird in the hand is better than no hand at all." I have hope that it will work. I first tried the Japanese Team's retro version, based on the k2.6.21.7 kernel, pup-431retrojp-RC4. It gave me access to the internet via a built-in ath_pci driver. Hopefully, the driver tempestuous compiled for k2.6.30.5 in the above referenced pet is the one I need.
I must also admit that as someone with no ability for languages other than English, its a bit disconcerting even after selecting the "en-USA" keyboard during boot to discover a desktop whose icons are labeled in Japanese and whose menus are a mixture of Japanese and English. But the Japanese Team has thoughtfully placed on the start-up desktop the "Help" html, at whose top was a link with the word "English." Clicking it gave me instructions in English, with pictures, on how to change the default language to English by clicking on the "Setup Icon." Following the instructions, within a minute I had the Puppy desktop with which I was familiar. Within 5 minutes, I was on the net.

I haven't tried many of the included apps, nor had the chance to install any apps or load any sfs'. I'll report back. So far only a small niggle: With English as the default language, the spell check in Abiword doesn't seem to, and it lacks a thesaurus. So I'll probably replace this version of Abiword and, if necessary, install the Artha pet.

But it seems I now have a solid base for taking Puppy into the future.

Thanks again, Japanese Team. Well done!

MikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan 2010, 23:05    Post subject: Still Happy with 4.3.1 Japanese Edition
Subject description: Progress Report

Hi again:

In the hope that I might be able to help other potential users in making the most of this Puplet, and the Devs to improve an already solid OS, I decided to make and send notes of what did, and didn't, work for me.

On reboot after creating the first save file:
wireless settings had not been saved, and while the Menu was entirely in English, the labels under the icons used Japanese characters.
Having nothing to loose, I Installed the madwifi driver. This not only did not get me to the internet, I could not successfully revert to using ndiswrapper.
So I deleted all the 431JP files and copied the XP wireless driver to the partition where new 431JP files would be housed. (The prior location was on a different partition). I’m not certain that this was necessary because, unlike my first attempt, this time when loading ndiswrapper I chose to blacklist the ath5k alternate.
Rebooting after Save, my wireless settings had been saved and I was able to get on the internet just by clicking browse. However, once again, desktop icons had Japanese titles. Opening the notes I had taken in Abiword revealed that some of the characters preceding, including and immediately following my use of quotation marks (“”) had been garbled.
As mentioned, clicking the browser icon got me on the internet and typing google.com into the address bar got me there. However, it also used Japanese characters. Easily fixed: Edit>Preferences>Language>move up En_US. I don’t recall whether I did that before creating the Save file.
Installed idconfig430.pet, my_links.pet and SFS_Linker_no_def-1.1.pet from http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/ChoicePup431/pets/SFS_Linker-no_def-1.1.pet
http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepup/ChoicePup431/pets/my_links.pet
and
http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepup/ChoicePup431/pets/ldconfig430.pet

Rebooted per “SFS_Linker” instructions.
“my_links" icon appeared on the desktop, with a title using English characters. With that exception all other desktop icons used Japanese titles.
Devs SHOULD CORRECT THIS, or provide instructions how to manually change it.
It's particularly annoying because when you reach the dialog box to select a language, en_us has already been selected. To effect a change, a different "en" has to be chosen --do they use English characters in Great Britain? From the books I've read and the movies made there I've seen, I know they take pride in having them javascript:emoticon('Laughing') -- X restarted, the wizard re-run, "en_us" chosen and X restarted. Well, the silver lining is that if icewm can be successfully installed, I'll setup a taskbar-toolbar of "favorite" apps and delete most of the desktop icons anyway.
The ch4_opera.sfs, being on the same partition as my SAVE file, was loaded. It also had become my “default” web browser, although SeaMonkey --with my settings-- was still available from the Menu. Opening Bootmanager from the Menu, I noted the advice that a maximum of 6 Sfs’ could be loaded ---IS THIS STILL CORRECT?-- and that there was no check box giving the option to select SFS on booting, or “Ignore Selection and boot all” or words to that effect.
Using SFS_Linker, I was able to both load and unload the ch4_Firefox SFS. As I prefer the "linker" method to the "Boot Manager" method, so far, so good. I am happy. javascript:emoticon('Surprised')

More at another time.

MikesLr
shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan 2010, 07:51    Post subject: Re: Still Happy with 4.3.1 Japanese Edition
Subject description: Progress Report

Hi mikeslr, tnx for the report.

mikeslr wrote:
while the Menu was entirely in English, the labels under the icons used Japanese characters.

Try Menu>Shutdown>Restart JWM please.
shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan 2010, 08:03    Post subject: Multi language surport with 4.3.1JP
Subject description: many asian, european language support other than english and japanese

Hi all,
An anounce of multi language support with Puppy Linux 4.3.1JP.

4.3.1JP is basically bilingual, Japanese and English.
But now multilingual, including many asian and european languages more over several tens.

Install 4.3.1JP and apply lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs available from here.

You can read and input more over several tens languages. English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, French has transrations of desktop icons. Some applicaions such as seamonkey has more transrations.
multilangs.png
 Description   The top menu displays some languages but you can choose more other language than displayed here.
 Filesize   4.6 KB
 Viewed   3606 Time(s)

multilangs.png

shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan 2010, 22:51    Post subject: Re: Multi language surport with 4.3.1JP
Subject description: many asian, european language support other than english and japanese

Install 4.3.1JP (pup-431JP.iso from here, or pup-431JPqs0.iso (Quickset version)from here .
And apply lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs available from here.
puppyiso

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2010, 07:25    Post subject:  

I guess this Japanese version's menus are all Japanese.

Any way to change menu onto other languages such as Korean, for example?

I heard something like [ja] [ko].. long ago.
shinobar

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan 2010, 09:25    Post subject: lang_support desktop  

puppyiso wrote:
I guess this Japanese version's menus are all Japanese.

Initially yes.
But you can choose English at the first stage.
After you install lang_support_all, you can choose Korean.
The Korean transration is not good enough.
next is the desktop of pup-431JPqs0.iso + lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs.
hangul.png
 Description   pup-431JPqs0.iso + lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs, locale ko_KR.UTF-8
 Filesize   19.84 KB
 Viewed   3623 Time(s)

hangul.png

puppyiso

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010, 06:44    Post subject:  

I finally had time to check yours. At first, it was confusing but it works now. With SCIM, I can only type but had to save the documents in English.

I now can save files in Korean.

Now, the things I would like change for me.

1) I want to get rid of the shadow below desktop icon names.
How?

2) Wireless doesn't seem to work. Is it the same v431 BUG? I have seen a post saying a Japanese version fixed the BUG. Is yours too?

Korewa hontoni nikuimondaidesuyo. imawa wireless no jidainanoni...

John
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: