Slaxer_Pup 4.12 solid and stable non woof build

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
big_bass

#401 Post by big_bass »

ttuuxxx wrote:
big_bass wrote:@gronos04 thanks for the report

automatic updates!
auto downloaded
auto installed too!

now is that easy :D

Joe
now that is cool :)
Could be great for bug fixes.
The only 2 options that I can see it missing .s a remove and reset button.
say if you don't want to install all those particular updates ever, the list could get very long.
so if you had a remove button, you tick the ones you want removed from the list and click ok then you get a shorter list, but if you accidentally ticked the wrong one and its gone, it would be a matter of ticking the reset and it would reset the whole list.
well just an idea, Great job Joe
ttuuxxx

Hey Jeff

Thanks for the feedback
The only 2 options that I can see it missing .s a remove and reset button.
the same script when run again auto resets all the values to the default what should be installed (at least what I tested to be working correctly ) and is the bare minimum list

the majority should install all the preselected values

[ only install what you want selected *I consider that the expert option*]
but you can do that also the script allows for it already

*I will have a package manager to offer the bigger selection of "optional packages" which will allow uninstalling also

the main idea here was for the new user or the experienced user to just have some easy way to to get updated / bug fix /edit and add config files too

without going through a heap of threads wondering if you got it all or not

thanks, and since this is the same problem for everyone trying to keep things updated using what ever version of puppy/derivative/other OS

peace brothers

Joe

Cur Dog

#402 Post by Cur Dog »

Big_Bass I would like to give you a big thumbs up for slaxer_pup.
It has been very stable and very fast. I am having a problem with the usb icon loading on top of hda3 icon when I plug in a usb stick. I am not sure if this is the result of something that I done myself because I looked through the thread and did not see problem mentioned before. I have attached screen shot.....any suggestions?
Attachments
usb.png
(72.4 KiB) Downloaded 1221 times

big_bass

#403 Post by big_bass »

Hey Cur Dog

I dont know the size of your screen but the idea is the same
and I couldnt read the small print of the usb value

you need to get the usb in the fourth icon location of the screen
lets say your usb is sda1 for an example

the y= is up and down on the far left of the screen
you dont need to edit that

the x= is the right to left position on the screen
thats what has to change

-------------------------------------------------------------------
so to fix it manually open the file

Code: Select all

geany /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

note: if your y value is different dont change it this is only an example
it has to be manually entered in the PuppyPin

<icon x="224" y="704" label="sda1" 

this is the only thing you will edit x="224"

tip this depends on your screen size so to get the value of the fourth location you could also use the same x value as your install icon

save the file

fixmenus

then restart x

the most import thing is you know what to edit

Joe

potchan
Location: Pilots' Height Tel Aviv - Yaffo, Israel לינוקס_פותחן

Direction needed regarding my Potchan onGround

#404 Post by potchan »

Hi Team, and a happy new year started with the awesome updater.

Last days I got enlightenment while started the Potchan build all over again with Slaxer-pup as onGround platform. It's much better than the latest version of Puppy because BK seems to cut some edges especially where I need it most: capability to boot any limpware on Earth smooooothly. Slaxer-pup is more reliable basis to my cloud project (enriched with extra technician's tools and emulators).

Few questions:

1. Should I drop /root/slaxer_updater folder after pet-install without any fear from a damage ? the folder is a bit heavy (8818K). Do all tar.gz'es left inside folder installed already or need further actions ?

2. How I can be directed for adding ext4 support ? I need the closest link in this forum (or elsewhere) and I go on by myself.

3. I have radeonmodule compiled for 2.26.25.16. Do you know of a proper adjustment for slaxer kernel ? I found out since Muppy it helps to sharp display on PCs with old radeon cards when VertRefresh set to 70 (1024x768x24).

4. 11g LevelOne wireless USB modem ? I'm unlucky finding a proper solution to this for my ancient DELL inspiron 2600 test-wreck 1MHz 122M RAM no USB BIOS support (functions as project bottom raf).

Thanks in advance :P
Timmo', the potchan (=opener) team at - [url]http://potchan.org[/url]. Taste it, love it, code in it.

Cur Dog

#405 Post by Cur Dog »

Thanks Big_Bass, worked like a charm.
I still have a lot to learn when it comes to things like this in puppy.
Sorry if I scaled the screenshot to small, but I didn't want to leave it at 1024x768. I will do better next time....Thanks for your time and again, thanks for Slaxer_Pup.

big_bass

#406 Post by big_bass »

SlaxerPup_Uninstaller version 1-7-2010 with a GUI

this is the complement to the installer
the uninstaller

the default is remove nothing so it is safe to
click on it

works for the pets and tgz

how I will do this is by date and code number
so it will be easy to keep track of

for some reason you wanted to uninstall
any of the packages the auto installer installed
(there is no need to do so but you could )

you now have a GUI to do it also

note: removing required packages will break things
but since this is linux you have the right to add
or remove what you want when you want

use with care for advanced users

as you will discover everything gets registered
with pet get and pkgtools

without the new package management

keeping things simple

Joe
Attachments
Slaxer_pup_uninstaller.tar.gz
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 506 times

Aitch

#407 Post by Aitch »

Nice, Joe

btw, have you noticed Slack official [up to 13.0] is now ported [12.2] to the ARM architecture

http://www.slackware.com/

& Slackintosh 12.1 is catching up to Official....

http://workaround.ch/

So, my question is, are you going to attempt adding either ARM or PPC ports/support [or both :wink: ] to your wonderful creation?

It would be a first for any Puppy if you did!

Anyhow, keep on trucking, Joe, :D

Oo! nearly forgot, I had a box the other day, which wouldn't run slaxer_pup xorg...
I think it was i810 chipset, but I was at a friend's and in a hurry, so used 214R instead, which ran ok, - when I go back there I'll get more details
Also, I miss Bubbles & Gemgame..... :lol: .....not a problem, until I tried to install....they wouldn't run?? .....any suggestions?

thanks

Aitch :)

big_bass

#408 Post by big_bass »

Hey Aitch

In time other builds will be possible
there are a a few steps that need to be achieved first
and I am on that road

(I left but havent arrived )

anything that doesnt fit well with the true linux way to share and build
keeping things transparent as possible
will be removed or replaced with standard practices

I know this is a process but the end result is
people will have more freedom
and free time

because following standard practices
allows you to honor the past work of so many talented people
who built so many great programs and wrote documentation

Joe

amigo

#409 Post by amigo »

Joe and Aitch, I am up to around 500 packages now with kiss -all of X and the development stuff, plus all the rellay basic packages needed for booting. The scripts I am using are usable on x86, x86_64, ppc, arm -whatever...
I gather that Joe is taking care to collect sources and script the builds for puppy-specific programs -at least I hope so.

kiss is using glibc-2.11.1, gcc-4.4.2, gtk-2.19.1, xorg-7.5-ish, so I am staring from a very up-to-date base. I have written a tool which uses the abundant info from src2pkg dependency files(generated with each package build) to create a build-order for the whole distro or parts of it. I'm using a package format like slackware, but highly modified databse through the addition of extra files which make it possible to track dependencies both ways, md5sums of all files installed and other kewlness. The last couple of days I've been hacking on 'spkg' which is a clone of the slackware pkgtools, but written in C. It runs *much* faster (up to 30 times faster at removing packages). I'm getting close to staring work on the installer, so an installer CD can be created -that'll give you guys something to work with while I go on and start creating the ppc version.

BTW, the slackware arm port has been around for several years -but it only recently got adopted as an official port. Unfoirtunately, it uses its' own build system. Most of AlienBobs SlackBuilds for the 64-bit version have been rolled into the 32-bit tree so that at least those two trees are using a common set of scripts. But any ports to other arches implies re-working all the scripts again to make them work on another arch. This is what my src2pkg scripts are supposed to avoid. Adding another arch just means adding a few lines to src2pkg itself and not to each of hundreds of scripts.

Aitch

#410 Post by Aitch »

.....because following standard practices
allows you to honor the past work of so many talented people
who built so many great programs and wrote documentation

Joe, totally agree :D

however.....

Great stuff, amigo - Your methods, knowledge, and ability continue to astound me :D

& here I sit with baited breath, [it says here :wink: :lol: ]

amigo

#411 Post by amigo »

Did you mean 'bated' breath, or have you been snacking around in the tackle department of the local sporting goods store?

I hope you don't lose faith or patience -I'm not a perfectionist, but I like to have my 'ducks in a row' before I start releasing things on the innocent public... After 5 years releaing versions of src2pkg, no one has had there systems borked or lost any data due to using it -even though there are several places where that really dangerous command 'rm -rf *' gets run.
You have a ppc machine, right? Is it an old-world iMac or what?

big_bass

#412 Post by big_bass »

This is an odd post for me since it very rare for me to have any need to run windows apps

but I was at a cyber cafe today and my Slaxer_pup CD got scratched
and wouldnt boot so downloaded the ISO and installed this
little freeware program and it was easy and worked perfectly
so thumbs up to them 8)

freeware iso burner for windows now no excuse to burn the cd
only burn linux cd's please :lol:

http://www.freeisoburner.com/
Version: 1.2
Release Date: 20-Jan-2009
File Size: 800 KB

Joe

big_bass

#413 Post by big_bass »

Gilbert

This is a little story to visualize how long I have been dealing with this
"package" disorder

My first Job many years ago when I was 15

was working in a furniture store (what does that have to do with linux :lol: ) be patient

since I was young and strong I was the one who did the warehouse
work well It didn't take me long to see that the total chaos of working in an unorganized place was killing me causing me to do much more work than needed to be done

so I took it upon my self to organize the entire warehouse
many heavy large boxes myself little by little
and I had let everyone else know what was the plan and why it was important to have things in order

well long story made short I found lost pieces of furniture sets
and made the owner very happy because he made alot of money
because of my efforts

and If I spent one tenth of one percent of the time I have spent trying to unravel puppy and put that effort into something else already based on sound linux practices

I could build a distro from a just a text package list in minutes :lol:

something just came back to my memory
I saw an old man moving a very heavy box unloading a truck
and had a vision and saw myself in his place :shock:
if I didnt get out of there soon the next day I signed up
to study electronics

is history speaking again ?

Joe

big_bass

#414 Post by big_bass »

well just a report
the above post was a bit of a cause and effect of what
happens in the real world
how people end up working harder then needed

and that I am more interested in getting packages organized and built correctly for the long term gain it brings than the short term
of just pumping out a new iso *or even less trying a different iso every week*

I do know this is a tedious process

what I need is an OS I can keep updated and solid
thats what was the motive to slaxer_pup and still is

pets will be the alien package format
they could still be installed at your risk

but the *tgz format will be the standard and it will also be built a package at a time from source

so that rebuilding from packages will be just like any standard linux
OS

what I mean here is its really straight forward to build with
tgz packages compared to building with pets (for me )
I hope thats not taken as a negative its just my personal experience

and if you tried the downloader /updater you would see that its easy to have everything install for you even if you never used the tgz format

and since everyone else has different versions and packages
it is easier to sort out the needed packages

mostly all this is to allow more people to
get in the game and have fun

Joe

amigo

#415 Post by amigo »

Well, we are working two ends of the same thing, I'd say -assuming you are concentrating on add-on packages. I am going through all the base packages and doing exactly the same as you. Of course, all the base packages for slackware (and many extras) already have their SlackBuild scripts. But I am converting everything to the src2pkg format so that all my eggs are in one basket.
of course it is a tedious job, but as you mention, it really saves lots of work in the long run because rebuilding for a new architecture becomes pretty trivial and upgrading to newer versions of packages is really trivial.
To put it simply, it is not enough to have created a package -especially when it is not starightforward. Anyone who regularly creates packages will know that after a couple of days one doesn't remember all of what one did to create the package, so the best way to keep a record of that is to script the whole thing -making notes on a blog or in a forum posting is a really lame way to keep a record of it...

big_bass

#416 Post by big_bass »

Gilbert
we are working two ends of the same thing
Like when building a railroad from east to west

when they meet you drive the golden spike

don't ask me to explain the details just yet but that's what I see

Joe

amigo

#417 Post by amigo »

La estaca dorada -I like that! Did I ever tell you Joe, that my original intent with my old amigolinux distro was to make a Mexican-speaking Linux? I'm attaching the WDM login image for your enjoyment.
Attachments
Tux-Mex.jpg
Tux-Mex logo for WDm login
(7.79 KiB) Downloaded 907 times

Aitch

#418 Post by Aitch »

Hey, amigo

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

mea culpa.....

tuxmex

I like eet :wink:

Be careful where you drive that estaca dorada, don't want any mishaps :wink: :lol:

I like the philosophy you both seem to be applying & hope the extra effort is shown in the support you both [will] get... :D

[btw, I have a couple of 6320@120mhz old world macs, OS 7 and a couple of G4s@450mhz&1.2ghz OS 10.3.7, awaiting Tiger/Slackintosh/PuppyPPC :D
- apart from shedloads of other stuff... :oops: :lol: ]

JustGreg

#419 Post by JustGreg »

Hi Big Bass,

I see that you did your usual excellent work. I tried Slaxer_Pup 4.1.2 on three different system. They are:
My Desktop, a Cybernet Celeron based system
the 2goPc, a second generation Intel Classmate Netbook
and Acer Aspire One Netbook.

It worked well. It even handled the Acer Aspire One acpi configuration that was a major pain for me with Puppy 4.3.1. The video resollutions were detected and properly setup. No mouse problems were found. The web cameras of the netbook was detected and properly set up A test with videoview was successful.

The only problem area was with the Wifi devices. The Cybernet and 2goPc use the RT73USB chip set. Slaxer installed the module rt2500usb instead. But, using rmmod rt2500usb, followed by modprobe rt73usb allowed the wifi device to operate normally. With the Apsire One, the wifi was completely missing. The need module ath5k is not in the diistribution.

It looks good. Thank you for making it available.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

big_bass

#420 Post by big_bass »

Hey JustGreg

Thanks for the report and I will add in some more support
to include the modules needed as add on packages

Joe