XMMS 1.2.11 - multimedia player?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

I didn't "locate" it, I compiled and packaged it.

xmms-crossfade is an output plugin. In XMMS preferences, you will see it in the Output drop-down menu.
I configured XMMS to use ALSA as the default output. Change this setting to xmms-crossfade.

tempestuous

#22 Post by tempestuous »

You're welcome.

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

Experienced forum members will understand the need for the educative prompt I just posted above.

hladik

XMMS Mystery Plugins Where Art Thou?

#24 Post by hladik »

tempestuous wrote:I didn't "locate" it, I compiled and packaged it.

xmms-crossfade is an output plugin. In XMMS preferences, you will see it in the Output drop-down menu.
I configured XMMS to use ALSA as the default output. Change this setting to xmms-crossfade.
Thank you. I don't know what "compiling" is, but it sounds strenuous. I'm sure it's beyond my limited capability.

From past experience with XMMS I knew where to look for the plugin, but it's not where it ought to be. And the VU meter plugin doesn't appear under Visualizations.

I guess I have to track down the displaced thing-a-ma-jigs and move them to the correct pigeonhole.

Thanks for taking the time to compile.

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

The plugins under discussion in this thread are compatible (obviously) with the version of XMMS that I contributed. In the first post in this thread I specifically mentioned the installation location (/usr/local).

Since there seems to be some confusion about where the XMMS-crossfade and Analog VUmeter plugins are found, I now attach screenshots of the relevant sections of the XMMS Preferences menu.
hladik wrote:I don't know what "compiling" is
It's not necessary to know how to compile, but if you're going to use Linux it behoves you to understand the concept. Google for an explanation.
hladik wrote:I guess I have to track down the displaced thing-a-ma-jigs and move them to the correct pigeonhole.
That would be "files" and "directories". And yes, you could go through the somewhat complex process of shifting my plugins into different file locations to suit some other installation ... but why?

Just make sure you're using my version of XMMS, and everything will work. The screenshots I attach don't represent idealised speculation. They're from a working installation of XMMS.
Attachments
Crossfade.jpg
(27.54 KiB) Downloaded 3891 times
VUmeter.jpg
(43.3 KiB) Downloaded 3893 times

hladik

#26 Post by hladik »

tempestuous wrote:The plugins under discussion in this thread are compatible (obviously) with the version of XMMS that I contributed. In the first post in this thread I specifically mentioned the installation location (/usr/local).

Since there seems to be some confusion about where the XMMS-crossfade and Analog VUmeter plugins are found, I now attach screenshots of the relevant sections of the XMMS Preferences menu.
hladik wrote:I don't know what "compiling" is
It's not necessary to know how to compile, but if you're going to use Linux it behoves you to understand the concept. Google for an explanation.
hladik wrote:I guess I have to track down the displaced thing-a-ma-jigs and move them to the correct pigeonhole.
That would be "files" and "directories". And yes, you could go through the somewhat complex process of shifting my plugins into different file locations to suit some other installation ... but why?

Just make sure you're using my version of XMMS, and everything will work. The screenshots I attach don't represent idealised speculation. They're from a working installation of XMMS.
Thank you very much. I'll try to determine which XMMS I have.

I found a site called "Linux From Scratch." Maybe I can learn something there. I wonder if I'll need a stack of punch cards...

Gracias.

hladik

Re: Xmms Vu meter

#27 Post by hladik »

M.Gregg wrote:Hello tempestuous,

Thank you for this package!
It also works in teenpup 2008!
-------------------------------------------

Here is a package of Xmms Vu meters. Just unzip with pupzip and drag them to /root/.xmms/VU_Meter_skins

/c and select configure in visualisations.
.xmms is a hidden file!

Try this skin!
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=55440

Regards
M.Gregg
Thank you! Just got them installed as you directed. I opened a terminal in my dl directory and used "tar xzvf xxxxx" and the skins unpacked into their own directory in which I selected all subdirectories and dragged them to another rox window open to /root/.xmms/VU_Meter_skins. Chose "Move" and off they went.

Voila! Cool.

Now my question is: Where are the cool matching XMMS Player skins available?

Thanks much!

abben

#28 Post by abben »

hi friends. I'm on Puppy 4.31 (can't get the 5+ versions to display desktop), and I've got a problem.

I've installed xmms 1.2.11 from the pet provided in this thread. I've used it, and it works fine. I've also installed the xmms-scrobbler-0.4.0-libmusicbrainz-taglib and libidn.so.11 pets provided in this thread. But the scrobbler plugin does not show up under Options > Preferences > General Plugins.

I remember the scrobbler plugin working fine on XMMS in conjunction with a 4.00 install of Puppy.

Is there a way I can get the scrobbler plugin working under 4.31? I love that xmms uses minimal resources and would hate to have to switch.

Edit: wow, that was simple enough. Just a simple link to the plugins folder:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/local/lib/xmms/General/libxmms_scrobbler.so /root/.xmms/Plugins/libxmms_scrobbler.so
I was almost certain the pet did this automatically.

Best lightweight music player ever!