Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 21:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Index of resources for Beginners Help forum
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
WB7ODYFred

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2009, 22:31    Post subject: Linux frequently asked questions for newbies
Subject description: Has some comparison topics between Windows versus Linux

http://www.tuxradar.com/newtolinux

This was a great read that answered many questions, that a New LInux User and possibly a New Puppy Linux user might ask!

WB7ODYFred
MiKylie

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct 2009, 16:43    Post subject:  

Just installed it thanks to that guide, and so far everything works fine. Cannot get brightness control to work tho. But apart from that, this guide was really definitive. Embarassed
rokytnji

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov 2009, 02:59    Post subject:    

jamesjeffries1 wrote:
for more beginners linux help goto http://linuxmigration.tk

I did and got this. Maybe link is wrong maybe? Otherwise, I bookmarked this useful thread. Thanks guys. Smile

Quote:
Your website has been suspended!

The web hosting account that hosts this website has expired!

If you are the owner of this website, please login to your hosting Control Panel and renew your account.

If you are a visitor to this website, please access this page later.
Snookie

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2009, 15:57    Post subject: Awesome Resource Page!  

What a Great Resource Page! I somehow missed this? This needs to be in Bold or some color with Flashing lights that says "Go Here First!" LOL I am new to Puppy and Linux for the most part and could of really used this a few days ago LOL. Anyway Great Job on compiling this together and will try to point others to it as much as I can.

Thank You Flash!

Snookie

P.S. I just saw that this was the TOP Post in the "Beginners Start Here" Section! AAAAAARgh! What else can be done besides have it reach out of the screen and shake you? Is there scripting for that in SeaMonkey?
TrailerTrash

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan 2010, 20:19    Post subject:  tutorial  

Thanks man. Your work creating this page is well appreciated.... especially by those of who are seriously senior with no teen agers around the house to answer computer questions yet are aware enough to dare to abandon Windows.

KUDO

BZ

Well Done

and tks.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan 2010, 23:42    Post subject:  

Thank you for noticing. Laughing As I say at the beginning of the post, it was an experiment. I think it proved that such an index is useful. If it were easier to maintain, I'd keep it up to date, but the forum software is deliberately designed to make such a long and complicated post difficult. Sad
werwinn

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan 2010, 23:49    Post subject: Most Useful  

@Flash "OFD"

I will be working my way through your list.

Too often we do not let the workers know how much they are appreciated.

Good Stuff

werwinn
FL Guy

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun 2010, 12:24    Post subject: Great idea - How about adding "How to add drivers/packages"
Subject description: Suggestion for new user index - how to add compiled drivers to Network Connect / Config GUI tools

For my $.02, I think this index is a great idea - thanks!

If I can suggest, a pointer to a tutorial or information on how to add existing precompiled driver packages to Puppy so that they appear in the Network Connect / Interface Configuration tools/GUI would be _very_ helpful.

Background: I'm working with a few Dell laptops of recent vintage (mostly Latitude e6400s), and finding that the drivers included in the base Puppy 5.0.1 (and Ubuntu) distros - especially the wireless drivers - don't work with these machines.

I've done a bit of searching (both here and elsewhere) and I have found precompiled drivers which reportedly should work, however have not yet found info on how to add them so that the Connect tools can find them.

I have started a thread asking for help with this subject here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56290.

If I can suggest, a pointer to the resources identified in answer(s) to that thread (and/or other resources on this topic) would be a very helpful addition to this index.
johnlennonfan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun 2010, 00:35    Post subject:  

Thanks for putting this together! I just put it on an old laptop of ours and I'm still figuring out everything. Smile

~Liz
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 17:02    Post subject: where is the actual list or index of resources  

Hi

this thread seems to be very old now.

where is the actual list or index of resources being official agreed or encouraged bei 'Puppy linux' to be found?

are puppy wikis yet used?

how happens the 'management with system' of all the informations concerning the divers versions of puppy, quirky and fatdog64?

bye
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 05 Oct 2010, 20:11    Post subject: Re: where is the actual list or index of resources  

oui wrote:
Hi

this thread seems to be very old now.

Indeed it is. I have explained several times that it was an experiment. In my own mind, I proved my point Laughing Unfortunately, the forum software makes it very difficult to maintain such a long post, and that is why I stopped trying.

Quote:
how happens the 'management with system' of all the informations concerning the divers versions of puppy, quirky and fatdog64?

bye
System? Management? Laughing
vickyg2003

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2011, 08:31    Post subject: Re: Index of resources for Beginners Help forum  

Flash wrote:

Booting (running) from CD:

This is a broken link.

As long as I'm working my way through this, is there a glossary or dictionary somewhere?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2011, 08:44    Post subject:  

Vicky, that index was an experiment. One of the things I found out from it was the forum software makes a large post very tedious to edit. I'm sorry to say I haven't maintained it in years, so that many of the links will be bad.
ShellyCat

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 00:18    Post subject:  Re: Most Useful  

werwinn wrote:
@Flash "OFD"

I will be working my way through your list.

Too often we do not let the workers know how much they are appreciated.

Good Stuff

werwinn

I agree totally, thank you! Awesome work!

Not only does it make essential posts (and other sources) easier to find...like werwinn said, there are many tutorials there I want to go through for the sake of learning before I need to know!

darkcity

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 13:34    Post subject:  

THis index is waycool, added to wiki

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ComponentHowTo

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: