Accidentle Improper shutdown, Now some major problems!

Booting, installing, newbie
pumpkin_baby86

Accidentle Improper shutdown, Now some major problems!

#1 Post by pumpkin_baby86 »

Okay so I was moving my laptop and the cord snagged & unplugged from it while I was working on it. So improper shutdown. I know what to do for that but when i turned the laptop back on it wouldn't start up properly. It starts up kinda normal. It goes to the puppy screen then after that it runs through a few things and that is where the problems starts. Right around where I am to put 'xorgwizard' it just starts running the same thing over & over. the only thing that changes is the login #. So here is what is repeated.
login[1751]:root login on 'tty1'
touch: cannont touch '/tmp/bootcnt.txt': Stale NFS file handle
-sh:/tmp/bootkernel.log: Stale NFS file handle
this script will run x windows for you...
1usr/X11R7/bin/xwin:line 393:/ect/.XLOADED: Stale NFS file handle
Starting x, specs in /etc/X11R/xorg.conf,Startup apps/root/.xinitrc...
/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin:line 425 :/tmp/xerrs.log: Stale NFS file handle
Exited from x. Type " xwin [fumw95:jwm}" to restart x ([ ] mean opional).
(to shutdown PC type "poweroff", to reboot PC type "reboot"
If failed to start, type"xorgwizard" to setup x.

So I try tp type in wht is suggested but it wont stop scolling through this. I can type but not fast enough to get it entered. The only way I was able to copy down what it kept repeating, was to put the scroll lock on it.
I've tried to run it pfix=ram, and it still does the same thing. I've tried to reinstall from the disk and it works but I have a few files I want. I just bought a flash drive to save them on, thats what I was getting ready to do and this happened.
Please if you can help me that would be great.
Also I am new to this operating system so please bear with. And try to talk to me like I'm a blonde. Noo offense to anyone!

yorkiesnorkie

#2 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi, I've done this before as well :) Ok, here's what you need to do. Let your pc boot, it'll default to the prompt as you've already discovered.

At this point usually I just type "xwin" and press return. This will almost always restart the desktop.

If it doesn't you need to re-run the xorgwizard again. Type "xorgwizard" at the prompt and press return. This will allow you to reconfigure your display, then at the end it'll prompt you to type "xwin" and press return to start the desktop.

After that, if you shut down as usual, all will be well the next time you boot your pc. That should be it, but if it doesn' t work just come back here.

Yorkiesnorkie
:)

yorkiesnorkie

#3 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Sorry for jumping to conclusions a bit, I didn't quite fully read your ms. SO, its scrolling repeatedly and doesn't default to the prompt. That's odd behaviour. I'm not quite sure what to do about that.

Before you attempt to fix or re-install anything if you simply want to recover any files you can boot from your live CD and then mount the partition on your HD where those files are. When you boot from the 4.3.1 live cd you should see the available file systems (partitions) for mounting at the bottom left of your desktop. Click on one of those (where your files are) and it'll mount and open in ROX. You should be able to navigate to the folder where your files are located in ROX drag and drop them to your jumdrive if you also mount that.

Yorkiesnorkie
:-)

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is this a full or frugal install? If it's full:

1. Boot off the Live CD
2. At the short initial pause, type: puppy pfix=ram
3. Open a terminal and type: e2fsck -p /dev/sda1

The above command assumes that your Puppy partition is sda1.

If you have a frugal install, do the previous steps first. Then:

4. Click on the drive icon to mount sda1
5. Type: e2fsck -p /mnt/sda1/pup_save.2fs
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 06 Jan 2010, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Oakems

#5 Post by Oakems »

Did you reinstall over your existing installation? If you did then you may not be able to get those files back because the new install would have written over them.

Also, what type of install do you have? By the sounds of it I would say a full install, but I am not sure from what you've written. You mention you tried pfix=ram which only works for Frugal installs, so that wouldn't help you much for a full install.

You may still be able to fix your full install if you still have it. If you boot with the CD and delete what is in your /tmp/ folder (if you open rox and go back a step, you should see it.) After deleting what's in there, try rebooting and see if you get the same thing. There is also a fix on this forum somewhere, so you don't have any problems in the future with improper shutdowns.

Edit: Here is it, it says it is USB related and you mention you were just using one as it happened.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

The file system check is definately what is needed sic rcrsn51...for full it needs doing on the install partition...for frugal do it to the pup save...If you are using frugal then the pfix=fsck option is supposed to do it for you...

mike

ps ..we should give a prize to every 20th user with this problem :D
.what problem?

Bronco Billy

Mike It's a Pandemic......

#7 Post by Bronco Billy »

mikeb wrote:The file system check is definately what is needed sic rcrsn51...for full it needs doing on the install partition...for frugal do it to the pup save...If you are using frugal then the pfix=fsck option is supposed to do it for you...

mike

.what problem?
Have a Great Day.... :)

yorkiesnorkie

Re: Mike It's a Pandemic......

#8 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Bronco Billy wrote:
mikeb wrote:The file system check is definately what is needed sic rcrsn51...for full it needs doing on the install partition...for frugal do it to the pup save...If you are using frugal then the pfix=fsck option is supposed to do it for you...

mike

.what problem?
Have a Great Day.... :)
Bronco,

Based on reading your posts so far this kind of thing is counterproductive. My opinion is that if you aren't going to actually try and help the original poster by answering their questions why waste everyone's time? Your just hijacking the post so you can goad everyone else. If you want to start a flame war this isn't the place for it, ok?

Just looking over one of mikeb's posts http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49455 I note that there has been a fix for shut down recovery for some time.
##############SHUTDOWN RECOVERY Add to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit################
#If we were not shutdown cleanly, try and recover
if [ -f /RUNNING ];then
echo -n "(Cleaning up after Unclean SHUTDOWN)" >/dev/console
rm -f /var/log/X*
rm -f /RUNNING
rm -rf /tmp/*
rm -f /var/lock/LCK*
rm -f /var/run/*.pid
rm -rf /root/tmp 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /root/.thumbnails/* 2>/dev/null
fi

###################Detect Bad Shut######################
#create a file in tmp that should be deleted on a clean shutdown
if [ ! -f /RUNNING ];then
echo 'this file is deleted during a clean shutdown' > /RUNNING
fi
###################### add to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown#######################
rm -f /RUNNING
echo "Puppy is deleting RUNNING..." > /dev/console
Looks like it's worth trying to me.

Yorkie

pumpkin_baby86

#9 Post by pumpkin_baby86 »

Yorkie- i'm running puppy 4.20. I don't know it the changes what you've told me to try.

rcrsm- I'm not sure if it's frugal or not. I just put the disk in and follow the prompt.

Oak- No i didn't have the usb flash drive in, that way just what I was getting ready to do. I've had a problem with lost files before so I was going to get the files on there before it happened again.

Mikeb- You should get a medal or something... this is the thrid time you've tried to help with my problems! LOL

And to everyone, I am running puppy 4.20 from a burned disk which I recieved from the person I bought it off of, I've tried to et his help since it was his laptop before but he keeps telling me to try the fourm.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

I believe we established you had a full install so the fsck on the partition and that added script are what you need

mike

pumpkin_baby86

#11 Post by pumpkin_baby86 »

mikeb wrote:I believe we established you had a full install so the fsck on the partition and that added script are what you need

mike
Okay when durning the install should I do that? And what exactly do i type in?

tubby

#12 Post by tubby »

When this has happened to me with a full installation, i boot from the disc and reinstall as an update not wipe. This retains all my previous addons and boots ok.
You do need your install disc to do this.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

1. Boot off the Live CD
2. At the short initial pause, type: puppy pfix=ram
3. Open a terminal and type: e2fsck -p /dev/sda1
from earlier....do this before reinstalling or instead of

mike

rjbrewer

#14 Post by rjbrewer »

Stale NFS Filehandles;

I've yet to see a cure for that, short of reinstalling.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Stale NFS Filehandles;

I've yet to see a cure for that, short of reinstalling.
A good fsck usually clears them
So puppy needs reinstalling more than windows eh :D

mike

rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

Some results of intentionally pulling the plug on a full install
on my old laptop.

# e2fsck -p /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/dev/sda2: Entry '\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:08.0\x2fsound\x2fcard0\x2
fmixer' in /dev/.udev/names/mixer (46712) has an incorrect filetype (was 1, should be 2).

/dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

Error saving pinboard /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin: Stale NFS file handle

Full installs

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

RUN fsck MANUALLY.
did this fare any better?

mike

rameshiyer

Improper shutdown

#18 Post by rameshiyer »

It has been point out many times, even though once again I am like to invite your attention to all of you. I have full hard disk install. While rebooting after improper shutdown, the cursor comes to prompt#, however, the I am not able to provide any words or not accepting my keystroke. xwin etc. on prompt. Sometimes, it accepts typing of xwin after deleting /temp/bootnext.txt through Live CD bootup. This method is time consuming. I need a simple pet package or simple to understand method so that I can restore my PC without reinstalling everything after improper shutdown. Looking forward your help for my long pending demands.

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Ok here are the big 3 again...google will love me...
links for fixes to your problem rameshiyer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45992
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47668
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36944

regards

mike

rjbrewer

#20 Post by rjbrewer »

mikeb wrote:
RUN fsck MANUALLY.
did this fare any better?

mike
Ran fsck untill it said "some bonehead is running fsck from
mounted partition". Looked around; didn't see any boneheads,
switched to live cd and reran fsck. :)

This did get rid of the "stale file handles"; but also got rid of x
and everything but the jwm taskbar. Nothing in menu will start.

Full installs