Penggy Puppy - Dialup program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mouldy

#21 Post by mouldy »

Nope, Dialguard 2.2.5 will not work for this. You have to use Dialguard 1.0 or Dialguard 1.8.7. This is one case where newer isnt better for this purpose.

Hmm, if you configured Rasspy correctly, then I dont know what to say. I cant believe Netscape went to any great lengths to absolutely force you to use their software. If they really wanted to do that they could have used generic AOL software like Compuserve and WalmartConnect. I mean they get their $10 per month from you. The software I imagine communicates home once in a while giving up tracking info that they then sell for little extra. But few people are going to go to great lengths to defeat it. Those not wanting software generally just pick an isp that doesnt require it.

If it werent such a pain in the butt to cancel, I'd get free month of Netscape just to experiment, but not worth the hassles that AOL tends to throw in the path of cancellation. Must be profitable behavior as they have been successfully class action sued in several states over this, yet from what I've heard still do it.

What exactly happens when you put username/password/phone number in regular dialer? You have tried changing the dialer string for your modem from AT&F2 to ATZ didnt you? It would be in /etc/ppp/chatscripts folder.

lostdog

#22 Post by lostdog »

hi mouldy,

i used 1.8.7, i found 2.2.5 later while looking for more info.

netscape wouldn't have to do very much to make you use thier dialer. it would just take a simple code that tells the server that you are using thier dialer.

when i try to connect wvdial will dial and talk to the server several time, but the server doesn't talk back. then it hangs up and says "no carrier". i checked the messeges file, (can't remember where it is), and it says that the chatscript failed. don't know how it could fail, but......

yes i found out about the "AT&FW" string a while back in my search for a solution.

i tried the windows dialer, and it went right on in, no problems, but the linux dialers won't do it.

i got netzero free isp yesterday. you get an email address, and 10 hours a month. when i ran raspy against the dialer it locked up. the dialer just froze and wouldn't do anything until i canceled rasspy. when rasspy starts, it will show the username and password as i type them in, no encryption.
when i click on allow rasspy disappears and doesn't come back. i looked for a log file, but rasspy doesn't create one.
The truth is out there.

mouldy

#23 Post by mouldy »

Netzero/Juno since they are last of free isps with their 10 hour offer, got the brunt of the dunners efforts at end of the free isp era. They learned that it is not so easy to force determined dunners to use their software though I lost interest about this time, I mean how much time does one want to spend just to get free isp service? Unless you just enjoy it as a sport/hobby... some people do. Look on www.freedomlist.com and there are several isps you can get for $5 or $6 per month with no software required. Usually limited to 150-200 hour per month. I pay $10 for one called erweb.net. It is truly unlimited hours and no required software. Good connections/networks plus they offer an unlimted 800 connection number that can be called from any phone in USA. That unlimited toll free number to connect is truly unique and valuable especially if you ever travel or are out in boonies. Most isps with 800 number either restrict it or charge extra if you use it. Usually a lot extra.

Oh, forgot to mention, Netzero has an "anti-rasspy" module in their software. Locks rasspy up. You need to look for it and delete it then rasspy works. Dont remember what they call it, but has rspy or something like that in file name. Most started using dialguard about that time I think. they may now have an "anti-dialguard" module too. I think there may even be some later software one can use but I havent kept up with it. One other tip on Netzero if you use their software. Their more modern software starts with small download which then downloads rest of itself in next couple hours of surfing. Surfing is relatively slow but ok during those couple hours then slows to crawl as you start getting the ads. Just remember to save that original download someplace under another filename. When the ads start showing, uninstall Netzero, then copy that original download and let it start all over again. You still will be limited to 10 hour per month total as they have a timer on connection from any particular phone number. (Yes, didnt refer to it as the free-isp wars for nothing.)

Now you say the windows dialer works on Netscape? Do you mean Netscape software or did you just put Netscape username/password into normal windows dialer? If it works in normal windows dialer then it will work in linux dialer assuming your modem works under linux. Did you try all three dialers included in Puppy? Xeznet and WVdial sometimes work where Gkdial doesnt. I dont know why but I have had problems with some computers with Gkdial where I had to use Xeznet, Gkdial just wouldnt dial out no matter how I adjusted settings.

mouldy

#24 Post by mouldy »

Hmm, hadnt tried wvdial in a while. Am using it now. Absolutely no problem.

I have never run across instance where I could connect with regular windows dialer but couldnt with linux dialer. You are just using default settings in windows dialer, correct?

Have you tried using a live Knoppix cd. Let it get to the default KDE desktop and use the KDE dialer. Its got loads of settings to experiment with and you dont have to dig around in some configuration file.

lostdog

#25 Post by lostdog »

hi mouldy,

the only reason i got the netzero free dialup was to try rasspy on it to see what would happen. i had never used rasspy, and since it wasn't showing anything on the netscape dialer, i thought i would try something else to see how it works. that was a waste of time tho.

when i used the windows dialer i used the default settings. all i did was enter the phone number, username and password, and it connected with no problems.

yes i did try all three dialers in puppy. gkdial refuses to work, but xeznet and wvdial will dial the modem.

i have an older usrobotics external serial hardware modem. i know it works because i called a long distance number without dialing 1 first, and got the recording saying that i couldn't connect as dialed.

i haven't tried knoppix yet. i guess i'll have to get it and see what happens. i have simply mepis, and the kde dialer doesn't work either.

i wouldn't mind changing isp's, but i think that if i can't use netscape when others can, i'm just not sure about connecting to another isp.

and as far as doing this stuff for fun, well, i guess you could say that. i'm retired and and thought it would be fun to learn about linux, among other puter stuff. and i want to thank you for your time and effort, and sharing your knowledge with me. i tired damn small, and they have a serious attitude problem. it's the rtfm thing, and just a bad attitude in general. i didn't like them. i have found the puppy forum to be fun, interesting and informitive, but above all else it is friendly. i do like it here.

i found the log file. here is what it says after attemping to connect with wvdial:

Jan 28 22:57:44 (none) daemon.notice pppd[1050]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (ERROR)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (RING)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (BUSY)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (VOICE)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: report (CONNECT)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: send (ATZ^M)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: expect (OK)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: ATZ^M^M
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: OK
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: -- got it
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: send (ATDT9724390006^M)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: timeout set to 60 seconds
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: expect (CONNECT)
Jan 28 22:57:45 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: ^M
Jan 28 22:58:41 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: ATDTaccessnumber^M^M
Jan 28 22:58:41 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: NO CARRIER
Jan 28 22:58:41 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: -- failed
Jan 28 22:58:41 (none) local2.info chat[1054]: Failed (NO CARRIER)
Jan 28 22:58:41 (none) daemon.err pppd[1050]: Connect script failed
Jan 28 22:58:42 (none) daemon.info pppd[1050]: Exit
The truth is out there.

mouldy

#26 Post by mouldy »

Hmm, no if its external serial modem and works under windows, then it works. Not modem problem then.

Is this your long distance number you dialed without a "1" as a test? Otherwise if this is local number then wouldnt 439-0006 work. Different exchanges are different, but either you would dial 1-972-439-0006 or else 439-0006 or possibly 1-439-0006. If you dial starting with an area code, dont think it works. Dont need the dashes, I just added them for clarity.

Just some little thing you didnt enter correctly in linux dialers for some reason, and arent noticing. I dont have windows handy to check, but in windows dont you just check a little box if "1" needs to be dialed? The dialers in Puppy need you to include the "1" as part of the phone number if its required.

lostdog

#27 Post by lostdog »

Is this your long distance number you dialed without a "1" as a test?
No, that is the local number for netscape isp. We hav the 9 digit number here.
Just some little thing you didnt enter correctly in linux dialers for some reason, and arent noticing. I dont have windows handy to check, but in windows dont you just check a little box if "1" needs to be dialed? The dialers in Puppy need you to include the "1" as part of the phone number if its required.
Yes I know about that, but i did that in linux not windoze.

I even found an ISP that doesn't even have a dialer. The software that you download only sets up the windows dialer for their service. And i still cannot connect. I used wvdial and exeznet, KPPP in mepis, QNX and DSL.
None of them will connect. Windoze connects just fine, but linux flat refuses to. The only way I can get on the net is with windows.

I remember seeing a the rspy file in the netscape directory a while back, but they had an upgrade to the dialer and it's not there now. Guess maybe they incorperated it into the dialer.
The truth is out there.

mouldy

#28 Post by mouldy »

This is frustrating. Ok, back to the modem. Do a google on your exact model of Robotics modem and look for suggested modem strings. Also a google on people using linux with your particular model modem. I vaguely remember some USRobotics modem giving problems though it was a serial hardware modem. WVdial from log you gave is using ATZ. I have one old Zotrix modem that will not work correctly with either ATZ nor AT&F2... I forget which but one way it wont dial at all and other way it will dial but wont connect or rather the connection immediately dies. It requires me to enter a long modem string in exactly the form given on website I found. Only modem I've ever personally run across that is like this.

Frankly in years I've used non-windoze operating systems, if isp worked in regular windoze dialer, it worked in 'nix dialer. I've used everything from pure dos with Arachne and its dialer to one free trial version of GEOS that had dialer to OS2 to BeOS to QNX (I loved the QNX demo on a floppy) to a wide variety of Linux. There is even one linux on a floppy called Wolflinux that connects and surfs just fine. Your problem just about has to be the interaction of 'nix dialer to your modem. Is there anyway you could beg, borrow, or buy another hardware modem (preferrably a different brand/model)? Unfortunately you are pretty much limited to another serial modem or an older ISA card modem. Very few true PCI hardware modems. Or guess you could try one of the software modems that people have made dotpup drivers for. But that just adds another layer of something to give problems in my opinion.

#29 Post by Guest »

GOD BLESS YOU MOULDY!!!!!!!

I couldn't find a modem string for the usr modem, so I went and bought a BEST DATA modem. It runs about as fast as a 2400 baud modem, but it may need a burn in. I saw on one site that they would do a burn in test for you for a little extra. It may have been worth it. But I'm typing this in Puppy right now, so it does work. I guess the used modem I bought was too used.

Thanks for hanging in there mouldy. I never did get connected to netscape, but I am connected now. THANKS!!!!!

#30 Post by Guest »

GOD BLESS YOU MOULDY!!!!!!!

I couldn't find a modem string for the usr modem, so I went and bought a BEST DATA modem. It runs about as fast as a 2400 baud modem, but it may need a burn in. I saw on one site that they would do a burn in test for you for a little extra. It may have been worth it. But I'm typing this in Puppy right now, so it does work. I guess the used modem I bought was too used.

Thanks for hanging in there mouldy. I never did get connected to netscape, but I am connected now. THANKS!!!!!

I will try netscape again to see if I can connect now.
sorry, it was me, lostdog. got excited and forgot to log i geuss.

lostdog

#31 Post by lostdog »

Well, would you believe that I am typing this in puppy, AND, I am connected to netscape?

It was that modem after all. I guess I won't be dealing with the store that I bought it from anymore.

Thanks again mouldy. :x :x :x :x
The truth is out there.

mouldy

#32 Post by mouldy »

Congradulations, however if your first modem worked in windows and was a hardware modem, it should have worked with linux. Did you ever do a search with your modem model and word 'linux'? I imagine if you had problems with that model under linux, somebody else did also. Oh well, glad your new modem lets you use Puppy.

lostdog

#33 Post by lostdog »

Did you ever do a search with your modem model and word 'linux'?
I looked for a while, but I was so disgusted with it that I just went out and bought the new one that I wanted. I was eventually going to buy a v.92 modem anyway. The USR modem was v.90.

Thanks again mouldy.
[/quote]
The truth is out there.

lostdog

#34 Post by lostdog »

When I opened the BestData modem the fact that it doesn't have an on-off switch kind of bothered me. Then I discovered that it has auto on-off. it turns itself on and off as needed. That's pretty cool. :o :D
The truth is out there.

lostdog

#35 Post by lostdog »

ok. I've noticed that this thread ahs had 932 views, so I guess others are having problems with netscape. All I can tell you is that when I got the new modem, I just entered the phone number, username and password, then clicked on connect. the next thing I knew, I was logged onto Netscape. :?
The truth is out there.

lostdog

#36 Post by lostdog »

ok. I've noticed that this thread ahs had 932 views, so I guess others are having problems with netscape. All I can tell you is that when I got the new modem, I just entered the phone number, username (username@netscape.com) and password, then clicked on connect. the next thing I knew, I was logged onto Netscape. :?
The truth is out there.

Subito Piano

#37 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi!! I'm looking for that Penngy4Puppy.tar.gz file but it's notto be found...any ideas? Thanks!

Subito Piano

#38 Post by Subito Piano »

I'm answering my own question -- ttuxxx recompiled the whole penggy program. you'll find it at this thread.