Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
cain071546

Thanx

#41 Post by cain071546 »

i had the issue with the nvidea driver but was able to fix it as stated above it is a nice little distro, lightweight even for puppy
ill use it on my netbook and see how that goes
i did find that even with its smaller footprint i found that 4.3.1
loads faster either way i like it ok well THANX to to everybody in the linux
world and just in time for the new year MCL yall Whoop Whoop

timremy

upup 453

#42 Post by timremy »

hello playdayz

i am trying upup 453 and its right at the top for what i use puppy for.

this is very exciting having a couple of great pups.

right now i see three top notch: quirky 002, stardust 003 and yours,

upup 453.

that's great.

good luck.

timremy

James C

#43 Post by James C »

I attempted to install Upup 453 on my test box but kept getting a kernel panic. Tried the disc in another computer , it loaded but couldn't get X to work so......... guess I'll wait for the next release.
I'm still running 451 though and its working pretty well on the above mentioned test box.

I'll probably try 453 again tomorrow......it'll probably load this time. :)

Tui

Woof2010-0105

#44 Post by Tui »

Hi all I have been looking for the latest version of WOOF 2010-0105 but
can't seem to find it's location.

Can anyone lead me in the direction of it's hiding place ?

Thanks Tui

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Just as an update, tried 453 in a third computer and I'm posting from it now. Guess I'd better check the optical drive in the box where I got the kernel panic..... :)

ckteo172

Slow Screen Redraw / jerky video after screen rotation

#46 Post by ckteo172 »

playdayz,

I'm having slow screen redraw / jerky video playback after using xrandr to rotate the screen by 90 degree on a Intel 945GM Platform. I'm using VLC 0.9.2 to do the video playback.

Any idea what can be done to improve the situation?

Attached is the xorg log file.

Thanks
Attachments
upup453_Xorglog.tar.gz
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 556 times

oui

#47 Post by oui »

Hi

this seems to be a great Puppy but the screen become each new start dark. actually it is completely black :lol: : not possible to read ONE letter on the screen :roll: . my wife did say to me "you did found the best puppy for you, it is wunderfull... :idea: "

can you help me not to go to early to bed :D

bye

oui
ACER Laptop emachine with AMD64

playdayz

#48 Post by playdayz »

2. Printer Setup will not work. the Cups Printer Manager opens the CUPS 1.4.1 screen, however when Printers Menu is selected it states "500 Internal Server Error".
Quote:
5) Cups. Does it work? If it does not, then does it help to download and install this cups pet ->
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributi ... 0-1-uj.pet

Sorry, installing the pet above does not help, browser opens with a blank screen. Other suggestions?

Cheers,
Jim
Yes, Jim, we yell for help!!! I believe ttuuxxx has worked on cups in some other versions and may have an answer--I asked him. And maybe someone else will see the solution.

Also Jim, when you edited the xorg.conf entry to read "nv," was it "nouveau that you changed it *from*? Including me that is at least 3 or 4 people who have had to change from "nouveau" to "nv" and so I am considering leaving out the "nouveau" driver--at least as a test. I'll try that in the next build from Woof 0107.

Jim1911

#49 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:Also Jim, when you edited the xorg.conf entry to read "nv," was it "nouveau that you changed it *from*? Including me that is at least 3 or 4 people who have had to change from "nouveau" to "nv" and so I am considering leaving out the "nouveau" driver--at least as a test. I'll try that in the next build from Woof 0107.
That's correct. My card is a BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB which can properly use the latest drivers, so nouveau is the problem in my situation. I've tried the NVIDIA-185.18.36-k2.6.30.5-1.pet which has the proper driver, but had no success with it. Of course, "nv" doesn't support 3d so that's not the best solution.

I meant to mention that a pupsave created by Barry's upup432 was successfully updated. Cups didn't work in that version either.

On cups, with the next build, you may want to try the earlier cups-1.3.10-1 instead of 1.4.1. The problem could be that cups-1.3.10-1-uj.pet just doesn't properly install over the newer version.

Thanks for sticking with upup,
Jim

James C

#50 Post by James C »

Changed the optical drive and now have a frugal install of 453 on my test box, no real problems to speak of yet.

I really dislike those intermittent hardware problems though..... :)

cinclus_cinclus

Installing Audacity

#51 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

(upup454)
I installed Sox first and then tried installing audacity.

But some libraries are missing:

File /usr/bin/jack_evmon has these missing library libjack.so.0 libiconv.so.2 libjack.so.O

Please, how can I get these?

Jim1911

#52 Post by Jim1911 »

Tried 454, works well, except for Cups. Installing cups-1.3.10-1-uj doesn't help. My nvidia card works OK with this.

I hope that you will return to your previous practice of trying Barry's latest since he has updated Xorg server, nv along with a few other fixes (some due to improvements that you've made and posted).

Thanks,
Jim

playdayz

#53 Post by playdayz »

hey jim1911, After about 20 hours this weekend, I have a version of Cups 1.4.1 that seems to be working, at least working for me. The details are in the first message in this thread. Did you try adding cups 1.3.10-uj with Puppy Package Manager and this latest 4.54? I thought that would do more than a blank page--but Cups 1.4.1 is the one I really want because that is the one that comes with ubuntu karmic.

Was the nouveau driver working for you? I can provide it as a pet. The problem appeared to be that xorgwizard was choosing nouveau for *all* nvidia cards and it wasn't working with all of them. I had thought that nv/nouveau was like radeon/radeonhd, for older/newer cards. I also thought that to get hardware accellerated 3d you had to use the proprietary driver; for ati that is the fglrx driver that I had to compile myself using SitHeelSpeak's gcc 4.4.1 devx enhancement (discussed in the first message). Radeon and Radeonhd are both open source xorg drivers, as with nv and nouveau I am pretty sure.)

Yes, I will keep up with Barry's releases of Woof, but I will not post a new one until it is a stable as 4.54. What happened is that Barry made some changes to Woof (for Quirky I think) that caused problems for uPup (for instance, not installing properly to a full hard disk install). However, 4.54 includes all the changes that we have discovered. I plan to make and post a list of the tests to put a new uPup through before I post it.

playdayz

Hello Friends of uPup

#54 Post by playdayz »

Hello Friends of uPup.

The current version of uPup is 4.54. The big news is that Cups 1.4.1 is working, at least for me. Right now, you have to add cups as a pet and then do a little bit in the terminal window, but I was so happy when it printed a test page for me ;-) Details are in the first message of the thread.

4.54 also fixes the problem with a full install to a hard disk.

The nouveau driver is removed which should solve problems for some nvidia owners. If you need the nouveau driver I will post it in the first message in the thread. Please remember the Xvesa option in xorgwizard if you are getting a black screen!

Otherwise 4.54 has everything we have discovered. I believe the wireless is working OK, along with browsers, flash, and multimedia--now with Cups uPup is becoming truly usable. Thank you for your contributions.

James C

#55 Post by James C »

I just did a fresh full install of 454 on my test P3.Everything appears to be working pretty smoothly so far.

I've installed Midori (Ubuntu package), Firefox 3.5.6. Geany, Htop, and a couple of small card games. Everything installed and is working fine, with the exception of some missing menu icons (fixed) and changing Geany's menu category from Utility to Text Editor.Made Geany my default text editor too, since I prefer it over Nicoedit.

On to some further testing...... :)

Jim1911

#56 Post by Jim1911 »

Neither Cups 1.4.1 or installing cups 1.3.10-uj with Puppy Package Manager works for me.

The removal of the nouveau driver helped since I no longer have to manually edit to get the nv driver.

Except for cups, it's working great and I've also been able to upgrade save files created by upup432.

Thanks, :D
Jim

rhadon

#57 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I can say the same like Jim:
Jim1911 wrote:Neither Cups 1.4.1 or installing cups 1.3.10-uj with Puppy Package Manager works for me.
Except for cups, it's working great and I've also been able to upgrade save files created by upup432.
With1.4.1 I always get the message "500 internal server error", with 1.3.10 I can install my HP-Photosmart but when I try to print I get "unsupported format 'application/postscript'". No matter of using 4.32 or 4.54, pfix=ram or upgraded pupsave file.

The rest works fine. Thanks :D

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

playdayz

#58 Post by playdayz »

hi rhadon and jim1911, Thank you much for the feedback. Cups is a monster. I *think* I have beaten the 500 Internal server error with the latest, but i wasn't clear probably. One needs this current uPup 4.54--the one that is posted now--I changed it without changing the version number--bad policy I know but I was worried about running out of numbers. With this Upup version and then installing the cups-lrs.pet *and* doing the two things at the command prompt, I *think* cups will work. That was not good policy on my part--I should put it all together in a nice package and call it uPup 4.55, which I will do over the next couple of days.

@james C
Made Geany my default text editor too, since I prefer it over Nicoedit.
Me 2.

If you installed the current 4.54 version then you are in a position to try the cups-lrs pet. Don't bother it it is a bother--I will be putting it all together very soon now. thanks.

mavrothal

upup on XO-1

#59 Post by mavrothal »

Hi playdayz,
I tried uPup454 as a (manual) full install on the OLPC's XO-1 laptop (with my kernel and initrd) and I failed to make the mouse to work. In uPup 451 all it needed was to change the option from "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/mouse0". No luck with uPup454. Any particular change between the two version regarding xorg and mouse?
Thx

rhadon

#60 Post by rhadon »

Hi playdayz,

now cups works fine for me :D
BTW: It is the first time that cups 1.4.1 works for me.

I downloaded 4.54 after you removed your message in the 1st post about not downloading now. Installing your cups.pet anyway was the missing puzzle.

Thank you

~ Rolf