Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
technosaurus

#201 Post by technosaurus »

nope, works when booting pfix=ram - what format did you try to save it in? xpm will give an error message if there are too many colors
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#202 Post by technosaurus »

I compiled versions 0.4.6 and 0.4.8 in this thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45392
Please report back which version works or better yet post the bug and fix to http://code.google.com/p/puppy-development/issues/list
(one bug per thread is much easier to track than XX bugs scattered in one)
It's not always Puppy's fault - sometimes it is good to check the upstream developer's website. Here is more info on gparted bugs right on the download page.
WARNING: Recently there have been several reports of problems when resizing file systems using gparted-live-0.5.0-3. In the case of the NTFS file system, The error message seen after the partition is resized is:

ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!

The problem appears to be related to the combination of packages, Linux kernel, and patches used in the GParted Live image. We are investigating to find the root cause of the problem. Until this problem is solved we recommend GParted Live 0.4-6-1 for resizing all file systems.

You can roll back to my 0.4.6 build (which I think also has ext4)
The bug report to track this problem is bug #604298.

The forum post "WARNING! Problem Resizing File Systems with GParted" contains a list of the confirmed cases of this problem.

If you experience this problem, please open a new post in the GParted forum.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#203 Post by technosaurus »

sorry I can't help more with the CD/DVD related issues - I'm so cheap that I have been doing manual frugal installs since Puppy 2.X

for the 2.6.25 version there is a UDF kernel patch if you want to recompile it here:
http://djkaos.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/ ... r-distros/

otropogo

#204 Post by otropogo »

Thanks for the UDF tip. I'm afraid Kernel patching/compiling is not among my few skills, however.

Maybe I can persuade the SLAX crew to polish their implementation.

DVDs for on the fly backup are probably going the dodo's way anyhow. But it's nice to be able to salvage one's data from the bad old days before cheap gigabyte flash cards.

BTW-since posting the previous bug, I discovered a trick for accessing my USB burner on Puppy 4.3.1:

It turns out the problem is more apparent than real. Maybe no developer has recently felt the need for a USB burner on Puppy, and so this glitch crept in.

If you attach a USB burner to the system, it doesn't show in pmount. Pmount only shows sr0. However, if you tell pmount to mount sr0, it will then mount both sr0 and sr1 (so long as they both have a disk inserted that Puppy can handle - DVD-RAM and UDF DVD-RW need not apply).

At that point, the desktop also displays a disk icon for sr1, and it can then be dismounted individually

And, strangely, if you dismount sr0 while sr1 has a readable disk in place, then pmount replaces the sr0 tab with one for sr1. Remount sr0, and the tab changes back. But I haven't seen pmount display both sr0 and sr1 together yet.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

enhu

removing or uninstalling vlc thru package manager

#205 Post by enhu »

removing or uninstalling vlc thru package manager will also remove your default media player.
so as removing firefox - when you remove firefox thru puppy package manager, you will also lost your default browser.

PANZERKOPF

Re: removing or uninstalling vlc thru package manager

#206 Post by PANZERKOPF »

enhu wrote:removing or uninstalling vlc thru package manager will also remove your default media player.
so as removing firefox - when you remove firefox thru puppy package manager, you will also lost your default browser.
A pet's script hacks the defaultbrowser script. (You can edit this
script with Geany). There is string like "exec firefox $@", where "firefox" can
be changed to name of your default browser.

rerwin

Report of error with HCF modem driver on Nabble

#207 Post by rerwin »

Frank, in Germany<
I ran across your Nabble message while investigating my own "error -5" problem, so would like to respond as the person currently responsible for Puppy's dialup modem support. The responses from the experts, Marvin Stodolsky and Antonio Olivares pointed out that for your modem, with IDs 1106:3068, several drivers are possible. Although they conclude that the HSF driver is being selected in error and that the correct driver is for a SmartLink-type modem, Puppy is equipped to handle that, just not automatically, at present.
The problem is likely that there are some instances of primary
> PCIDEV=1106:3068
with Conexant subsystems. It is a common error in the PCI ID database
that someone reports a first instance of a AC'97 controller, and
mistakenly things that the support is Universal, as constrasted to
being Subsystem dependent. Puppy Linux appears to be saddled with
such a case. The best solution would be to have scanModem
incorportated in PuppyLinux

MarvS
The solution is to use the BootManager "preferences" feature to use the sound-card driver. Add the appropriate entry from the following (or perhaps just paste them all in the BM Preferences list):

Code: Select all

hsfmc97ali:snd_ali5451
hsfmc97ati:snd_atiixp-modem
hsfmc97ich:snd_intel8x0m
hsfmc97via:snd_via82xx-modem
In addition, you will need to fix an error in only the puppys that use kernel 2.6.30.5, to activate the sound-card modem. Obtain the firmware replacement fron the 2.6.25.16-kernel puppy isos or installation. The file is /lib/modules/all-firmware/slmodem. Then use PupDial to "probe > ERASE" the ttySHSF0 device and reboot.

An alternate might be to simply blacklist the "hsf" module.. Either way, there may be an impact from the residue of the HSF detection. If so, please contact me by PM. I have fixed this kind of conflict in my next release/upload of a modem "fix pack" for Puppy 4.3.1, which will be posted in this thread.

Anyone with modem issues in Puppy, please contact me first for resolution, since Puppy's modem support is unique among distros -- and is evolving, with help from feedback.
Richard.

UPDATE 1/15/10: Corrected workaround advice.
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 15 Jan 2010, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

PANZERKOPF

#208 Post by PANZERKOPF »

A minor bug in rc.network script's function "failure_message": The variable
"L_MESSAGE_Failed" is named as "L_MESSGAE_Failed"

nubc

#209 Post by nubc »

I describe what happens when I try to use an external hard drive connected by USB.
When I plug the USB connector in, no icon appears on desktop. So I open the mount icon, and click Refresh several times with no result.
Then I remove the USB and reconnect in another USB port. This causes an icon to appear on desktop. I open mount and there is a new usbdrv tab listed. I click the MOUNT button, and the applet disappears for a long while, and apparently wont be coming back in a reasonable amount of time.
So I right click the desktop icon, and the only available command is UNMOUNT. So I open the mount icon again and the drive spontaneously becomes available in ROX.

This is a very tedious operation just to look at an external drive. If the problem is because of the auto-detection of the USB insertion, I would gladly dispense with the generated desktop icon, and go back to just mounting the drive manually, as I do in Puppy 2.17.

nubc

#210 Post by nubc »

After messing around for several hours, I have come to the conclusion that Puppy 4.3.1 cannot play back a (downloaded) FLV file, probably because it sees the wrong format, perhaps mistaking flv for mp3, as indicated by assigned icon.

rjbrewer

#211 Post by rjbrewer »

nubc wrote:After messing around for several hours, I have come to the conclusion that Puppy 4.3.1 cannot play back a (downloaded) FLV file, probably because it sees the wrong format, perhaps mistaking flv for mp3, as indicated by assigned icon.
Wrong conclusion;

I play many types of files with gxine, vlc, realplayer, or mplayer on
any puppy version since 4.0.

You may have a hardware problem of some kind?
The post you made in "how to" shows an elaborate and unneccesary
method of playing files.

I just drag the files from rox or my storage usb and drop them on the
gxine or vlc icon and they play fine.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nubc

#212 Post by nubc »

Your characterization of the procedure as elaborate may be accurate, but to call it unnecessary is an opinion, that I don't share. Why should I drag stuff around on the desktop when I can single click it where it lies? I am working with the interface, and that's how to set VLC for FLV playback. You make a general claim that gxine plays it all on various Puppy 4.x versions, but you dont say specifically 4.3.1. I'm just reporting a bug, not looking for a debate.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 03:17, edited 2 times in total.

rjbrewer

#213 Post by rjbrewer »

I have 4 different versions of 4.3.1 installed. No problems with any
as far as playing video files goes.

Just clicking on a flv, mp4, or wmv file opens the default player
and starts playing it.

Asf or asx files I drag to icon.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Pizzasgood

#214 Post by Pizzasgood »

I just tested it with Qemu. Yeah, it plays fine. However, the file I tested didn't run when I clicked it. It didn't have a .flv extension (no extension at all). Perhaps that's the problem. (I tried playing it directly out of /tmp while Seamonkey was on the page it came from, which I assume is what nubc was trying to do.)

I didn't look into it beyond that. Got stuff that needs doing tonight. Sorry.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

technosaurus

#215 Post by technosaurus »

to avoid dragging you can:
right click on it
set run action
defaultmediaplayer "$1"

(this goes similar for all filetypes that are missing mime-types that puppy can handle)

there will be a file in:
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types/

Please gzip and share it here if it works

Jana

#216 Post by Jana »

Hello and sorry, if someone asked this before (didn't find the answer).

I'm running Puppy 4.3 on old Compaq Armada E500 and thanks to this forum I got mostly everything working. I don't know if this is a bug, but every time I start computer, sound is muted and I have to adjust the volume manually. Is there a cure for that?

Besides that, there is no volume icon, only an empty space on the tray (the button utself works though).

Any ideas?

Update: tried doing
# alsamixer
and
# alsactl store

but didn't help

Jana

#217 Post by Jana »

Ok, figured out myself

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 113#330113

This pet solves those problems

JustGreg

#218 Post by JustGreg »

I have a strange one. I have a used Acer Aspire One (Model ZG5 on case, Bios has AOA150). If I boot Puppy 4.3.1 from a USB CDROM on the Aspire, then every thing works fine. Puppy detects all the devices, display, sound, wifi, ethernet and web camera. The devices all work except for the Web Camera. I have not tested the web camera with the CDROM system.

If I do a frugal instal to a USB Flash drive and boot using the USBBootFlash tool. I get a notice during the modules loading stage of disabling IRQ #11. I get three to four of these messages during modules loading period. Puppy starts up. The display and wifi are fine. However, the sound and web camera do not work right. The sound has the problem that has been reported before. When a sound file is play, the sounds (beginning) keep repeating and never stops. I have tested 2barks (both wav and au) and Ivy.mpg. Both have the problem.

I first thought I had a corrupted file on the USB Flash drive. I did a md5sum check on vmlinuz, initrd.gz and pup-431.sfs files. They matched the md5sum for the same files on the CDROM.

The particular USBFlash drive (256 megabye)has been around since the ninities and been used for many Puppy experiments. I thought that it may have the "too many read/write" problem. I have some 1 Gigabyte micro USB hard drives. I did a frugal install to ione. I found the same problem! IRQ #11being disabled. This drive also has the Grub4Dos boot loader on its VFAT partition. It works well. So it is not the USB drives.

Any thoughts on this one.

I do have a second 1 Gigabyte USB micro Hard Drive that has EXT2 File system. I installed Grub4 Dos boot loader using Quirky. Shinobar, the install program works fine.
What I would like to do is full EXT2 Puppy install to it. I would be doing a manual full install to the USB drive. I know how to expand pup431.sfs and install directories and files. I do not know how to handled the files in initrd.gz. Do I just expand it and install or is there something that needs to be done?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

JustGreg

#219 Post by JustGreg »

I found that Windows XP lists IRQ #11 as for
Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBUS Control

Time to use Google to see what SMBUS Control does.

I did a frugal install to the Hard Drive. I used to Windows Boot Manager and Grub4Dos per the Grub4Dos tutorial. It worked well and did not modify the MBR. The install and configuration of Grub4Dos was manual experiment. However, the IRQ#11 problem was still there. I even tried booting from the CDROM and creating the pupsave file from that configuration. It did not help. The problem occurs with all frugal installation expect for the CDROM media.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

I have check my notes on the full EXT2 install to USB hard disk. I do not think it can be done. I was beating that drum about two years ago. No Luck then.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#220 Post by JustGreg »

I did a bunch of reading. SMBus is the System Management Bus device. It is a PCI device. From various bug posts, it controls temperature sensor, fan, audio, web camera and the multi-media reader.

I did find other linux distributions that resolve the audio problem by adding to modprobe.conf this:
options snd-hda-intel model=
which choices of model being equal to acer, aspire-one or 3-stacks. With Puppy 4.3.1, the result was the IRQ #11 was not disabled, but, one did not have a sound card. I used aplay -l to show whether or not a sound card was available.

I have also noticed the fan runs continuously.

Mint Linux bug posting had kernel 2.6.27rc2 fixing the problem.
Enjoy life, Just Greg