Network OK - Internet NOT Ok

doitforher

Network OK - Internet NOT Ok

#1 Post by doitforher »

Newbee here. I recently installed 431 to a USB only computer. I've installed the RT3070 driver no problem and get a live network connection using the Internet Connection Wizard. Unfortunately, I've only gotten an Internet connection to work briefly. I've tried both DHCP and static IP. Can someone either walk me through this setup or point me to a guide that will. I've been working and searching off and on for a couple days. Thanks.

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Hi - one walk through :wink:

To see if your driver is installed correctly, go to menu/setup/network wizard, and you should see any wired network as eth0, and wireless network as wlan0, or sometimes rausb0

If not try clicking autoload usb, assuming you're using a usb wifi device, and see if you get a new interface [If not post for more help, identifying your device/PC hardware/puppy version]
It will say Puppy was able to find a live network

If successful click wireless, then click test wlan0/rausb0 and see if any networks show up.
You should be able to identify your own router by name and signal strength, it will usually be top of the list

If not go back to wireless and click scan
If the driver is OK, & network i/f working you should see a list of available wireless networks
Select your network, and click OK
A profile name should appear & an ESSID if your router is set to broadcast its ID
Next, you need to know what security, if any is used for your network -
None, WEP, WPA/TKIP, or WPA2
[At this point, if you repeatedly get problems, people are often advised to turn off security on the router, until you get a stable connection]
Otherwise select/click the one for your router, and enter the key/shared key
Click Save, then Use this profile
You should see a congratulations screen saying you have successfully configured your wifi interface
Now click on Auto dhcp, to allow the router to setup the IP Address
Occasionally you have to run through this procedure twice

To test you have a connection, go to a console and type ifconfig
You should see an IP Address for your PC, and one for your router
Normally routers are set to 192.168.2.1 or similar & your PC will be assigned something with only the last number different by a digit or more

If you only see a 169.254.x.x address for the wireless you aren't connected and will have to go back to the wizard, and click Static IP
Enter an IP address a couple of digits higher than your router
e.g. 192.168.2.4, subnet mask defaults to 255.255.255.0, then set your router IP address to 192.168.2.1 or that shown in the console ifconfig step earlier
- you will have to adjust your figures to suit, click Save & try a web browser

The DNS issue! (and most likely your problem)

You may need to also configure DNS parameters on the same Set static IP page, though this depends on your ISP's DNS [nameserver numbers] and is a common problem encountered by noobies/experienced users alike
If you know them from a windows setup, then use those numbers, otherwise you may have to try an alternate
Try setting the DNS to 4.2.2.2 & 4.2.2.3
These are Verizon DNS IPs but we often find they work

I use the primary and secondary DNS from OpenDNS:
Which is an independent DNS server company, and are known to work OK

You could also try using google's Nameservers; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
They are reported to work better/faster
Always remember to save your configuration before attempting a browser

There's a last resort for wifi setup: using console CLI

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Good luck

Aitch :)

doitforher

#3 Post by doitforher »

Hi Aitch.

Thanks for your kind and detailed reply. I've gone through this process many times (before your reply, as well). I seem to have the proper drivers loaded and a good network connection as it shows ra0 being active. When I select auto DHCP it always comes back with the 169.254.x.x ip address and no Gateway (0.0.0.0). When assign a static IP using an IP address I reserved on my router (192.168.0.111), the subnet and my router's ip as the gateway, Googles dns (or yours), and then try my browser it tries to load the web page but finally gives up to a page load error. When I changed the DNS entries and tried again it gave me an error

"Could not set default route through 192.168.0.1. Note that Puppy has tried to do this: route add -net default gw 192.168.0.1 and got the following error message: route: SIOCADDRT: File exists".

Any ideas?

In case it helps, I'm using a D-Link DIR-625 router, AZIO AWU 101N USB adapter and Puppy 4.31., kernel 2.6.30.5. Thanks again.[/quote]

doitforher

#4 Post by doitforher »

Strange thing. I pulled the network adapter and tested it in my Vista laptop. I wanted to make sure it couldn't be the problem. It installed quickly and immediately connected to my network and the internet. I installed the adapter back into a usb port (a different port by the way) on my puppy computer and rebooted. Just for the heck of it, I brought up the browser and lo and behold I'm connected to the internet. Mind you, I've not made one change since getting the error I outlined in my previous post. I'm sending this my my working puppy. I don't get it but I'm a lot happier. Any ideas on what caused this transformation?

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Hi

It looks like it may have been using some persistent old data somewhere, and the removal/replacement/reboot seems to have worked causing it to be overwritten,

even though there's no knowing why/where

Computing can be frustrating like that sometimes..... :wink:

Good Luck, & any probs, re-post

Aitch :)