experimental minimalist backgrounds

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
bugman

experimental minimalist backgrounds

#1 Post by bugman »

i have a single-pixel background that i use most of the time [actually 3, black, dark gray, and steely blue]

i was thinking about growing it to 2x2 and slightly shifting the color to make it more complex

when using the stretch feature, this turned out to be kinda interesting, so i played with it some more

here are a few i like, #10 is ubuntu-y, #13 is rasta [more experimenting later]
Attachments
13.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2142 times
11.png
(138 Bytes) Downloaded 2177 times
10.png
(138 Bytes) Downloaded 2102 times
9.png
(138 Bytes) Downloaded 2156 times
8.png
(138 Bytes) Downloaded 2099 times
7.png
(100 Bytes) Downloaded 2105 times
4.png
(100 Bytes) Downloaded 2113 times

abushcrafter

#2 Post by abushcrafter »

Thanks. I do like these. Could you do a blue one please!

gposil

#3 Post by gposil »

Second that, a light blue would be good.... :)
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

whatsamatter, you guys don't know how to edit pixels in mtpaint?

:P

anyways, here's a few in blue
#14 is most interesting as the colors are so close that the lattice pattern disappears, very smooth--but i prefer the stormy feel of #16 . . .

#18 is kinda elegant, i got lost in the close colors and went mildly random

EDIT - added 2 very nice ones at the end [20, 21], 20 is my favorite, it is sublime . . .
Attachments
21.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2011 times
20.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2065 times
18.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2159 times
17.png
(862 Bytes) Downloaded 2055 times
16.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2011 times
15.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2018 times
14.png
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 2015 times

dejan555

#5 Post by dejan555 »

several of those are somewhere in wallpapers thread. Blu one of mine was in 4.2 backgrounds i think.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

bugman

#6 Post by bugman »

baroque minimalism?

i was considering a vague similarity of these to the paintings of mark rothko

so decided to do some 'paintings' of my own, in an 8 x 6 pixel format

here are the first 4, with names

tree and mountain are not so good [too much figurative effort?], but sunset and sunrise are quite nice

[remember to stretch]
Attachments
tree.png
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 1994 times
sunset.png
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 1991 times
sunrise.png
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 1979 times
mountain.png
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 2100 times

bugman

#7 Post by bugman »

three more, each 1 x 6 pixels, inspired by places i have lived

[and full rothko stylee]
Attachments
ocean.png
(872 Bytes) Downloaded 1970 times
prairie.png
(872 Bytes) Downloaded 1958 times
desert.png
(872 Bytes) Downloaded 1968 times

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

.. and they really go well (screenie 125k) with a pekwm theme I mod'd and probably will fuss with a bit more, creamy tan and turq go well together and the off-gray I used may seem a bit blah - wmsetbg does nice at scaling and smoothing mins; but sometimes there's nice texture in 'happy accidents' :lol: , Bob Ross haunts me at times - nope, Spring ain't here yet for sure.

good thing too, the spare change from shoveling snow is keeping me and the cat fed..

technosaurus

#9 Post by technosaurus »

For those of use with bad eyes and/or twitchy fingers here is a tarball of bugman's images - seeing that you, yourself wear glasses (your pic?), i have come to the conclusion that you must be a bit sadistic
Attachments
backgrounds.tar.gz
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

bugman

#10 Post by bugman »

@f00, thanks for the screenpic, that looks nice, must look into pekwm

@technosaurus, yes, a sadist and a masochist [i can't see the damn things either]

`f00

#11 Post by `f00 »

.. in testing pups (occasionally rewards, hehhehheh)

bgmin works well with..

..various methods of setting a background (depending on your preferences - generally I have wmsetbg, hsetroot and a few others to choose from) even better if a minimal working palette (about a dozen colors) is smeared to create blends. Up to the user which setter and options work best. Alpha/opacity can also figure in, but probably not so good on the Xvesa patterned root (for me, that looks like a dense chainlink texture) rather than the deep black of Xorg. Quite likely a simple layer animation effect could be achieved with a simple script or randomizer so a bg need not be 'boring' or even resource hungry .. strangely enough there seem to be subtle pseudo-movement shifts/effects even without that on my CRT and card. Then again, sounding brass and tinkling chimes in shadows and light (;

big (236k) howto screenie, for some 'if-you-didn't-already-know' mtpaint tips

a few samples attached for demo - gs.png is fairly finished imo, ksdotohone.png shows those blocky distractions (which some may like, so much goes on in hwr,s/w,etc that it may not show .. YMMV)

ps - wjaguar's 'tips' for 3.31 in a nice 2.5mb pkg, I wish many docs were available in this form (but noooo.. instead and far too often you get a broken local 'help' or spend way too much time searching and filtering or simply giving up on what may be a terrific app if only it had some decent readable documentation so one could use it effectively :roll: /rant)

thanks, fscap is one of the reasons I use wine (a bit overkill to justify textnotes in its mini-editor, but even that can be a left-handed performance gauge)
Attachments
ksdotohone.png
various distractions :|
(245 Bytes) Downloaded 1662 times
gs.png
oki - this is the one in the big screenie
(272 Bytes) Downloaded 1603 times
Last edited by `f00 on Tue 09 Mar 2010, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

bugman

#12 Post by bugman »

nice...

and very nice screenshot

and i learned something - i didn't know mtpaint had an eyedropper until now :oops:

abushcrafter

#13 Post by abushcrafter »

`f00 wrote:.. in testing pups (occasionally rewards, hehhehheh)

bgmin works well with..

..various methods of setting a background (depending on your preferences - generally I have wmsetbg, hsetroot and a few others to choose from) even better if a minimal working palette (about a dozen colors) is smeared to create blends. Up to the user which setter and options work best. Alpha/opacity can also figure in, but probably not so good on the Xvesa patterned root (for me, that looks like a dense chainlink texture) rather than the deep black of Xorg. Quite likely a simple layer animation effect could be achieved with a simple script or randomizer so a bg need not be 'boring' or even resource hungry .. strangely enough there seem to be subtle pseudo-movement shifts/effects even without that on my CRT and card. Then again, sounding brass and tinkling chimes in shadows and light (;

big (236k) howto screenie, for some 'if-you-didn't-already-know' mtpaint tips

a few samples attached for demo - gs.png is fairly finished imo, ksdotohone.png shows those blocky distractions (which some may like, so much goes on in hwr,s/w,etc that it may not show .. YMMV)
Nice! :)