Puppy 4.3.1 and nVidia Chipset

Using applications, configuring, problems
LaneLester

Puppy 4.3.1 and nVidia Chipset

#1 Post by LaneLester »

After someone on another forum reminded me of my past fondness for Puppy Linux, I downed and burned version 4.3.1 for a fresh look.

With the exception of Sabayon Linux, no distro I've tried automatically loads the nVidia driver needed by my motherboard's chipset, and Puppy is in with the majority here. I had a version 173 driver in a .pet (Puppy's format) file, but installing it just killed X back to the command line.

I think my fairly new motherboard needs the 185 driver, but I don't remember how I got the NVIDIA-173.14.12-k2.6.25.16.pet that I used and which didn't work.

Later: I found a thread with a link to some .pet's and downloaded the 185 version. But when I tried to install it, Puppy said it couldn't do it. I'll try a fresh download from inside Puppy where I am now.

OK, that worked, and it's installed. Now to restart X and hope for the best.

Even later: I'm back in Ubuntu Karmic, because the 185 .pet killed X just like the 173 .pet did. Maybe I'll try copying the xorg.conf from Ubuntu to Puppy.

Lane

raffy

compiz

#2 Post by raffy »

Puplets ready with compiz (3d effects) have Nvidia drivers ready. Examples are Tipsy puppy (see the 4.13 version) and wNOP.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

LaneLester

#3 Post by LaneLester »

Well, I thought I posted a reply to this thread of my eventual success, but I guess it didn't "take."

I reinstalled Puppy with a frugal install, found the 190 driver, and it installed just fine.

Lane