conexant modem

treeplanter

conexant modem

#1 Post by treeplanter »

I have a compaq CQ60 with vista which I Hate. Am stuck with dial up from home .Has a hdaudio soft data modem (conexant). running puppy 4.3.1 vdial sees the modem but gets stuck , waiting for carrier.I listen in on my phone and its not even dialing. vdial designates port as ttySHSF0 gives it fist and second init strings says we're all cool, but wont dial.....any ideas???

cebobbitt

#2 Post by cebobbitt »

software modems are just that....software modems. When I frist used linux, I was advised to use to use a hardware modem, good choice, do you have acess to a hardware modem? I got mine at Best Buy for 60 bucks, expensive I know, but well worth it. My mobo is old, 2003, but it has a serial port which is ttyS0. After I used the hardware modem, all worked fine. If you don't have a serial port I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you what to do, just my 2 cents, hope this helps..

Frank Cox

Modem woes

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi

I spent more hours than I care to admit trying to connect with a conextant modem and I have the proper drivers. You did not mention if you did or not.

My advice is to forget the soft modem . Unless you can find a Dell or some other manufacturer that wrote a driver that will work in puppy or some kind soul who made one out of love of tinkering or you pay 20.00 to Linuxtant.com your done before you start.

What I did was use an old USR Sporster Robotics modem flashed to 56k and it worked perfectly . I am having problems with using it hooked to a usb to rs232 adapter. It is a cinch if you have a 9 pin serial port on your machine. . Total cost for the modem and cable 16.00 . It works well, faster than windows dialup .
Another good choice is the USR USB serial modem. They are 50.00 at USR . I have not tried it in puppy but was told it would work.
You can find them on e-bay for around 40.00. Be sure to check and see if any USB modem you buy is a serial [hardware modem} , most are not.
I have also seen used internal hardware modems on e-bay for around 20.00.
A new external serial modem will set you back at least 60.00 but they are probably the best. The old sportster works perfectly for me.

Good luck.

Frank Cox

Re: conexant modem

#4 Post by Frank Cox »

treeplanter wrote:I have a compaq CQ60 with vista which I Hate. Am stuck with dial up from home .Has a hdaudio soft data modem (conexant). running puppy 4.3.1 vdial sees the modem but gets stuck , waiting for carrier.I listen in on my phone and its not even dialing. vdial designates port as ttySHSF0 gives it fist and second init strings says we're all cool, but wont dial.....any ideas???
Hi treeplanter

Since my last reply I tried the conextant modem in an old Dell 4550 and it installed without a hitch. Amazing!

You might try editing the script to a lower baud and deleting the modem and rebooting. Hit the probe button and it will bring up a screen with the driver. You might do a search for an updated version.

Frank Cox

Conextant Modems

#5 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi treeplanter:

I am now up to getting 4 of 6 winmodems to work in puppy. I had to reboot to of them after erasing the modem but they work well.
If you can find an old Dell th modem will likely work. If you still have problems let me know and I will try and determine which modems work. I am 90% sure one of them is available on Tiger for 10.00

I am starting to like the internal modems on puppy.