.pet for shrinking photos

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
smokey01

.pet for shrinking photos

#1 Post by smokey01 »

A little while back I developed a simple image reducer so I thought I would share.

Shrink 1.0

Shrink is a very simple application that will allow you to reduce the size of a photo to either 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768.

The default way to achieve this is to use ROX to view your photos, right mouse click on the photo that you wish to shrink then choose the size from the drop-down menu. There will be three options that display ShrinkTo640, ShrinkTo800 and ShrinkTo1024.

It is also possible to hold down the Ctrl key while you select your photos. This will
allow you to shrink many photos at once.

If you prefer to drag and drop, simply drag and drop the icons from the /usr/local/shrinkimage folder to the desktop. This will allow you to drop a photo on the icon to shrink the photo. Once again multiple photos can be done at the same time.

Your converted photos will be stored in /root/ShrunkenPhotos

This is not a new concept as others have done similar things before. I only discovered that after I had put this together.

Why did I bother?

For years I have been using Picasa which is a great piece of software. Unfortunately it is quite large and runs slowly on my computer. It also uses a lot of disk space and the more photos that are added the more space is used and the slower it becomes. The other problem is the large pup_save file you need unless you run a full installation or link it outside of the pup_save file. Of course Picasa does a lot more than view and reduce photos but that's what I mainly used it for. If you the take time to organise your photos in a logical directory structure it will be easy to find them.

Puppy has included many image viewers over the years and most of them have been excellent.

The main reason I want to shrink photos is to reduce the size when attaching to email.

Shrink uses little space and is fast. The main application included is aaphoto which does all the smart work, I take absolutely no credit for that. It does take a few seconds to reduce the photo so be patient and I think you will find this useful, if you don't, simply uninstall it.

Enjoy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

mtPaint in Puppy already can do that and much more. :)

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

Hi Flash,

I would be interested to know how. I like Mtpaint which I use all the time but it doesn't have a command line option that allows multiple files to be shrunk at once. mtPaint is an editor rather than a viewer and I only know how to view and shrink one file at a time. I like to be able to view the thumbnails in ROX and mark multiple files then reduce their size many at a time.

I even communicated with Dmitry Groshev, the maintainer of mtPaint, and he said it couldn't be done from the command line either. He was trying to compile part of the code for me but I'm not sure if he was successful.

In the meantime I found this method to be simple and effective.

I would be very happy to use mtPaint instead if you can explain how I can achieve a similar result with the same simplicity.

Thanks

Smokey

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

You can also reduce jpeg sizes using the webpack script. It uses jpegtran to do this.

mawebb88

IrfanView

#5 Post by mawebb88 »

I just had to get my XP fav IrfanView running under Puppy to shrink and do lots of other things. Runs just fine with WINE.

Rgds Mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

smokey01 wrote:Hi Flash,

I would be interested to know how. I like Mtpaint which I use all the time but it doesn't have a command line option that allows multiple files to be shrunk at once. mtPaint is an editor rather than a viewer and I only know how to view and shrink one file at a time. I like to be able to view the thumbnails in ROX and mark multiple files then reduce their size many at a time.

I even communicated with Dmitry Groshev, the maintainer of mtPaint, and he said it couldn't be done from the command line either. He was trying to compile part of the code for me but I'm not sure if he was successful.

In the meantime I found this method to be simple and effective.

I would be very happy to use mtPaint instead if you can explain how I can achieve a similar result with the same simplicity.

Thanks

Smokey
Sorry, Smokey. I didn't read your post closely enough to notice that your program could reduce pictures in bulk. :oops:

aragon

#7 Post by aragon »

smokey,

if you want to reduce the size of your package, have a look at scale2pics
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29184

aragon

smokey01

#8 Post by smokey01 »

aragon, thanks for that. It looks like it might do the same job. It appears to have similar functions to aaphoto.

I think aaphoto is a bit too big and slower than I would like otherwise it does an excellent job.

This might make a better alternative.

Thanks

tomypuppy

amazing..

#9 Post by tomypuppy »

i dont know if its ok or not to post in an old forum..
but...
this shrink is an amazing piece of software..
just wanted to convey its author a big thanks..

for the sake of discussion,...i had a little prob..
im a newbie on lupu525...
and i was not able to get drop down menu on right click for shrinking as u had suggested in rox ..
not tht its a must..even without it,your pet is wonderful...as is puppy!!

jrb

Re: amazing..

#10 Post by jrb »

tomypuppy wrote:this shrink is an amazing piece of software..

i was not able to get drop down menu on right click
I agree, this is a really handy .pet.

If you right click on your .jpeg file you should get a drop down menu which has "Open With." (I'm looking at it in lupu525 right now) Click on "Open With" and another menu will open up with the "ShrinkTo" options.

However, I am attaching my slight revision of this .pet which places the "ShrinkTo" options on the first right click menu, but only for .jpegs.

Enjoy, J

tomypuppy

wow!!!!

#11 Post by tomypuppy »

jrb bro..
i never expected to have such a quick reply..
and that too with a patch!!
u guys really care for us newbies..thanx bro

grump

#12 Post by grump »

Very handy pet thanks! Saves me the pain of installing Wine and Irfanview.

grump

#13 Post by grump »

Just fiddling trying to re-size a pic to use as an avatar, and thought it would be handy to have a 'ShrinkTo150' option as well. Is this something I can do with a bit of coding?

btw it does not seem to work in Slacko - I had to fire up Lupo (both the current versions) and install it there.

vovchik

picscale pet

#14 Post by vovchik »

Dear grump,

You could try my "picscale", which is part of wary, I think. A link to a pet I compiled in Lucid is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=42741. The pet is all of 14k.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Last edited by vovchik on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

vovchik

#15 Post by vovchik »

Sorry, double post....:(

Dromeno

#16 Post by Dromeno »

I wish there was a linux or at least open source app which could do what Advanced JPEG compressor does. Shrinking the size of photos wile keeping the details. I beleieve it is done by reducing the color depth.

Advanced JPEG compressor is my favorite for this purpose (it works in wine). But I have not found an opensource equivalent yet.

grump

#17 Post by grump »

grump wrote:Just fiddling trying to re-size a pic to use as an avatar, and thought it would be handy to have a 'ShrinkTo150' option as well. Is this something I can do with a bit of coding?
Just done it myself - made another script like the other 3, added the output directory, made permissions etc the same and there you go.

Pelo

Shrink le retour

#18 Post by Pelo »

simple, but efficient. Everybody is looking for resizing tool (Peasyscale)
eh here is Shrink. It's enough for me.
Proposer des tailles différentes(150) : Just done it myself - made another script like the other 3, added the output directory, made permissions etc the same and there you go.
Attachments
shrink.jpg
just drawing your pictures on the right icon, easy !
(27.36 KiB) Downloaded 148 times