BoxPuppeee

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BHINTZ

#21 Post by BHINTZ »

I was unable to shutdown last night after installing the battery fix and had to use the power button. battery fix was not saved. I will download again and reboot before installing so I will have it. Don't know if this problem is related or not.

bob

BHINTZ

update

#22 Post by BHINTZ »

I was able to reboot just fine so I don't know what happened last evening. This is a fine addition as I often just check in and leave it in suspend most of the day.

again thanks for fixing this.

bob

jemimah

#23 Post by jemimah »

There is also a systray battery monitor called Vattery you can try here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47280.

To make it autostart, create a script named vattery in /root/Startup with the following contents.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
vattery&
Make sure to make the script executable by right clicking on it and going to Permissions.
Last edited by jemimah on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#24 Post by jemimah »

outtaspam, can you paste the .desktop file for qcad? I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.

I'll remember to modify the Network Connection Wizard to call Pwireless2 for the next version.

prehistoric

boxpuppeee on 1005HE

#25 Post by prehistoric »

Jemimah,

You are doing your part to stimulate the economy. I had to make a run out to buy more SD cards for testing different Puppeees. :wink:

My biggest problem so far was that I managed to lock the screen while showing this to a neighbor. I'm still not sure exactly how I did this.

While testing wireless at two locations, I typed a password incorrectly and sat there waiting for a connection. When a connection is refused because of incorrect encryption, there should be a pop-up notice. People will figure this out eventually, as I did, but notification would save frustration and/or embarrassment.

Since the Xine in this pupplet does not have the internet radio menu of gzine, (unless I overlooked same,) to test it I downloaded a zip file of mp3 recordings appropriate for the season: Christmas with Ogden Nash. (If you have been over-commercialized, I recommend "I remember Yule.")

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

hi prehistoric

I created a little bash radio program pupRadio. I can make it work with xine for radio only, the telly bit wont work but I didn't spend much time debugging it. If any one is interested I can redo it just for radio and add xine to the players list.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

prehistoric

radio menu

#27 Post by prehistoric »

Hi 01micko,

I'm curious about that internet radio script. This is a growing phenomenon.

For internet video, I typically use a player embedded in a browser anyway. I have trouble imagining a video channel I would just turn on, the way I would a radio station. (It may be relevant that my TV has not been on in weeks.)

I can't speak for others, because it is clear my tastes are far from the crowd, (madding or otherwise). Every time I find some commercial operation that exactly fits my requirements, they go out of business.

I don't know the Australian equivalent of the U.S. Best Buy. Here, it signifies a particular style of merchandising. When I (incautiously) stopped by one during the "holiday season" to check on prices and availability of a couple things, I emerged in a state like "beaker" in this video.

Aside to Jemimah: in my abortive quest to identify which models of the EeePc really have built-in Bluetooth, I forgot the purpose of my other shopping. My advice at present is don't trust the web page. Most such product descriptions have an asterisk which states that you should check with your vendor about exactly what is actually installed. If a feature does not fit on the short label displayed with a machine, it may not be present, even if listed on the ASUS site. There are vendor disclaimers about information supplied through links. You may need a screwdriver to be sure. (I am not slamming Best Buy. This is a general practice. Caveat Emptor)

jemimah

Re: boxpuppeee on 1005HE

#28 Post by jemimah »

prehistoric wrote:Jemimah,
When a connection is refused because of incorrect encryption, there should be a pop-up notice.
I have no idea how to implement that. No error gets generated. The interface comes up as normal. With WEP the only symptom is that dhcp fails. With wpa, usually wpa supplicant repeatedly tries to connect and repeatedly fails. I mention this in the help file, should I add it to the connection dialog box?

Btw, I think Best Buy somehow manages to get Asus to manufacture crappier and cheaper than normal versions of the EeePc just for them, with smaller batteries and who knows what else crippled.

01micko

#29 Post by 01micko »

prehistoric

I've attached the modded pupRadio for boxpuppeee, should work ok, it's a pain to code on eees! I'm away from my desky atm.

jemimah

What about just a warning in the wep/wpa screen that if you don't connect in so many seconds that the key you enterred may be incorrect?

Will try that older kernel a bit later.

Cheers
Attachments
pupRadio-only-0.3.1.pet
modded for boxpuppeee
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

BHINTZ

#30 Post by BHINTZ »

I have now removed ubuntu and installed boxpupeee on my acer one.

The only thing that I have noticed that doesn't work is the sd card reader, but that is kind of a small detail now that I am installed and up on the the hard drive. Firefox works in full size - no flickering or color changes that I was experiencing in regular pupeee. I have no idea what might be different. Suspend works perfectly.

thanks to all, I will continue to monitor and test improvements. I downloaded pupradio, but haven't tried it yet.

bob

jemimah

#31 Post by jemimah »

01micko wrote: What about just a warning in the wep/wpa screen that if you don't connect in so many seconds that the key you enterred may be incorrect?
That could work. I'll try it. Also maybe making you enter the passkey twice would reduce errors.

outtaspam

qcad and fotoxx desktop files

#32 Post by outtaspam »

jemimah wrote:outtaspam, can you paste the .desktop file for qcad? I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.
Here are the desktop file contents of qcad and fotoxx as they do not appear in the menu. Thanks! - Outtaspam

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=QCad Drafting Program
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/qcad.png
Comment=QCad Drafting Program
Exec=qcad
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=BuildingBlock
GenericName=QCad Drafting Program

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Fotoxx image viewer
Categories=BuildingBlock
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/usr/bin/fotoxx
Icon=/usr/share/fotoxx/icons/fotoxx.png
GenericName=Digital Photo Editor

gerry

#33 Post by gerry »

I can't download from drop.io- I get a login page. It says if I was not expecting to login, then the drop may have expired. What to do??

gerry

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

I have a new battery patch for Pwidgets. If you believe that the one I posted earlier was causing problems this should fix it. Don't worry that it say's "old".. :lol: , I just made it :wink: The syntax was incorrect in the first patch, it is corrected now.

This will overwrite the battery config in Pwidgets, no need to uninstall previous version.

Cheers
Attachments
battery-patch-old.pet
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 515 times

jemimah

#35 Post by jemimah »

Gerry, the drop.io site is working for me. Can you try it again?

01micko, that's for working on this! I will include your fixes in the next version which I will hopefully be done with next week.

outtaspam, sorry I forgot about your menu issue. I'll take a look tomorrow.

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

Thanks jemimah!

This puplet suits me because I have a eee, I have been helping ziggy with pwidgets since the start and I like tint2 8)

Only thing I got to do now is figure out that freeze on the 701SD when you hit Fn-F2 to disable wireless, we'll get there

Cheers

jemimah

#37 Post by jemimah »

The new version will have a work around for the wireless on the 701sd. If I can find one cheap, I may just buy it and see if I can solve the issue properly. No one mentioned this problem with the old kernel, and no one's really complaining about it on the internet, so that makes me think I'm missing something.

jtouso

#38 Post by jtouso »

Opera working perfect in BoxPupeee
this link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26897

outtaspam

Re: qcad and fotoxx desktop files

#39 Post by outtaspam »

outtaspam wrote:
jemimah wrote:outtaspam, can you paste the .desktop file for qcad? I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.
Here are the desktop file contents of qcad and fotoxx as they do not appear in the menu. Thanks! - Outtaspam

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=QCad Drafting Program
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/qcad.png
Comment=QCad Drafting Program
Exec=qcad
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=BuildingBlock
GenericName=QCad Drafting Program

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Fotoxx image viewer
Categories=BuildingBlock
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/usr/bin/fotoxx
Icon=/usr/share/fotoxx/icons/fotoxx.png
GenericName=Digital Photo Editor
I stumbled around the forums and found the solution by altering the Categories entry:
Categories=X-Graphic

They now appear in the Graphics menu.
Outtaspam

jemimah

#40 Post by jemimah »

BoxPuppeee 2 has been posted. Download the sfs at http://drop.io/puppeee.