Wine 1.1.30 + winetricks +color setter +goodies ...pet & sfs

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
Keanen

#281 Post by Keanen »

I could make my own puplet or whatever you guys call them if I wanted to, but I'm not sure if I want to go through all of the work of cleaning up my distro from all of the crap I put on it, and all of my personal information. In my opinion, Puppy is something that needs to be heavily "tweaked" before it can compete with Windows.

jason.b.c

#282 Post by jason.b.c »

Keanen wrote:needs to be heavily "tweaked" before it can compete with Windows.
"before" it can compete...?

hate to shock you too badly but - it already does...

Windows gets viruses... Does Puppy...? No.... very slim chance..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 721AAKeJ0t

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/v ... .php?lang=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_viruses
Sure, there are Linux viruses. But let's compare the numbers. According to Dr. Nic Peeling and Dr Julian Satchell's Analysis of the Impact of Open Source Software (note: the link is to a 135 kb PDF file):

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188

:roll:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

mikeb

#283 Post by mikeb »

Linux is different...puppy very different.....not everything is or should be a competition...bad for the blood pressure.

Fix windows and virus worries dissappear.....I tried linux out of interest not need....I just find windows boring...it works but you 'get what you are given'

I haven't tried a puppy version that did not need 'tweakin' but then I question everything. When I install windows I spend some time 'tweaking' that too...not nearly as much as linux nowadays ...just how it is.

Anyway this is sliding way off topic..there space on the forum for this sort of discussion.

As for wine it took me several attempts to get 3d working which is needed to get the full benefit...my netbook still does not have it on linux. With XP I just installed the driver from HP and voila.
And I had to add the wine file association myself and then tweak it to call directory as many programs needed. I just fixed the crap fonts in firefox/seamonkey in puppy 4..took me days. :D .
Fixes do not necessarily get included but at least in this house things work pretty well...just how it is.

The purpose of this forum is to help users to get things running and to 'tweak' when they feel the urge....what they use and why is irrelevent as the point of the exercise is choice....I choose to do the 'constant and never ending improvement'...just in my nature...others have different agendas....part of life's rich and necessary culture....

Now I'm waffling so
have fun

mike

Keanen

#284 Post by Keanen »

The only reason Windows gets viruses so easily is because it's so easy to just "auto-run" software. Make one wrong click and you've got yourself a trojan. The thing is though, I like that. Sometimes its better when programs are made to run by the operating system. I shouldn't have to type anything or install anything just to get a window to pop up on the screen.

Computer security is NEVER a problem. Think about it this way- if I were trying to give you a virus, I would hope that it would just execute with full permissions. I wouldn't want you to consciously run the program a certain way.

I am what you call a stupid person. clickclickclick ooh look I've got a virus. But then I can be really good about removing it. I have only gotten a really bad virus once, and it only took me a couple days to remove. No security software needed.

With Linux, I don't understand what the hell's going on! How do I run my Linux programs! I should be able to just double-click and Linux Explorer (or whatever it's called) runs the program instantly, no confirmation, full permissions, right through the kernel.

mikeb

#285 Post by mikeb »

Well when installed the it can be just click and run ...assuming you iz clicking on the right file...most binaries have no extension....go clicking around in /usr/bin...well maybe not cos some are only meant to be used via another program or from a console .
It's with wine that some file association is needed...

For viruses see active x controls which permit virus download and autorun facilities via yer browser or email or media player, or chat program etc
Then there autorunning..a great favorite.
And those wide open ports for netbios and rpc.
Nothing that can't be dealt with but thats another story.

Anyway I'm supposed to be working :(

regards

mike

Patriot

#286 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

:lol:
mikeb wrote: ........
Anyway I'm supposed to be working :(
Well, we should let the chi flows ..... and let the yin and yang fills this thread with harmony once again ..... Come on, I'll buy you a cuppa coffee (since you're supposed to be working ...)

Leave wine for later ....

Rgds

Keanen

#287 Post by Keanen »

Will someone please just tell me what the extension for a binary executable is in Linux? In Windows it's exe. Is there a Linux exe? I'm not talking about Wine. What is the extension?

Patriot

#288 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
Keanen wrote:Will someone please just tell me what the extension for a binary executable is in Linux? In Windows it's exe. Is there a Linux exe? I'm not talking about Wine. What is the extension?
FYI, there is no such thing as a linux .exe extension ... (exe = executables) ... on linux, executables are indicated by the file execute permission.

I suggest that you kindly post your future queries in a new specific thread and help keep this thread clean for wine ...

Rgds

Keanen

#289 Post by Keanen »

No! All files should have file execute permissions! How do I configure Puppy Linux to execute everything unless otherwise specified?

jason.b.c

#290 Post by jason.b.c »

hey everyone, let's just not answer him anymore...

:lol: Maybe he'll get the hint.. :roll:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

Keanen

#291 Post by Keanen »

Hey Jason, guess what? It's the same question I've been asking since I started asking questions here, so why doesn't somebody answer it? I call conspiracy!

jason.b.c

#292 Post by jason.b.c »

<ignoring now>
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!

abushcrafter

#293 Post by abushcrafter »

Sorry Keanen but you need to read a linux manual or two. That will help a lot for you and me (I have a LOT to read still :D)

abushcrafter

#294 Post by abushcrafter »

Can any one face compiling (if there not already) the latest stable version of wine Please. :beg:

green_dome

#295 Post by green_dome »

My novice attempt at compiling wine:

wine-1.1.34-i486.pet (release 1)
wine_DEV-1.1.34-i486.pet - development package (release 1)
wine_DOC-1.1.34-i486.pet - documentation package (release 1)

I installed these packages before compiling:

jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1-i486.pet (source)
jack-audio-connection-kit_DEV-0.116.1-i486.pet (source)
xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet (source)
xorg_xorg_full_dri_DEV-7.3.pet (source)

During the wineprefix creation it will attempt to download Gecko. Either let it download automatically, or do it manually (source):

Code: Select all

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab

mkdir -p /usr/share/wine/gecko

mv wine_gecko-1.0.0-x86.cab /usr/share/wine/gecko/
my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, so I install the 'NVIDIA-190.42-k2.6.30.5-1.pet' from this post.

T_B

#296 Post by T_B »

Hi green_dome,
Thanks for compiling 1.34. Works fine.

Are the audo + xorg packages mandatory for installation? (I installed them to avoid dependency issues)

mikeb

#297 Post by mikeb »

Are the audo + xorg packages mandatory for installation? (I installed them to avoid dependency issues)
Only if your program wants to use...opengl and directx 3d games for example.....and jack is selected in the winecfg menu if desired. If you want to save space the xorg dri package can be trimmed down to only the drivers needed for your card.

They are 'soft' dependancies so wine will run without.

mike

gulk

#298 Post by gulk »

Talking about space, once you get things installed in wine, the .wine and .winetrickscache can become quite huge.
Since I have a frugal install my .2fs is limited in size and I would like to have the wine package installed outside my pupsave. I tried linking those folders from another partition but I lost the c_drive in the process (basically broke my wine install).

Any idea on how to symlink the wine folders to other partitions?

mikeb

#299 Post by mikeb »

Any idea on how to symlink the wine fol ... artitions?

It didn't work because you symlinked to a FAT or ntfs partition. There's only a couple of links but they are needed.

So either you need some space on an ext2/3 partition or you can make an image file and use that. It also solves the problem of wine gecko not working.

By the way you cannot make a link to an empty folder then let wine fill it up...it thinks its broken that way. let wine make the .wine folder then move it entirely as you have done. Its also handy as everything is there after a remaster or for any other puppy running the same wine version.(note the link to empty folder may catch you out if you do hence the warning)

What goes in .winetrickscache by the way..I don't have that?

mike

gulk

#300 Post by gulk »

MikeB wrote:It didn't work because you symlinked to a FAT or ntfs partition.
You're perfectly correct; I was definitely trying to link to a fat partition.
I'll create an ext3 one and keep you posted.

As far as the .winetrickscache is concerned, it seems it holds the temporary data downloaded when I use the Wine Tricks app I found in the Utility menu.

<EDIT>
MikeB, I managed to do exactly what you suggested: create an ext3 partition and symlink from it.
This will let me keep my pupsave files leaner in the future!!! Thanks a lot for your help and Best Wishes for 2010! :D :D :D