How do I compile in Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
paullecorde

How do I compile in Puppy?

#1 Post by paullecorde »

I have to keep complimenting Puppy.... everytime I try another distro, there is always a problem with finding the sound driver, the ethernet card or something else... Everytime I try something else, I keep coming back to Puppy... Puppy is the best Linux distro!!

The reason I was looking for another distro is compiling... I know that you can't compile with Puppy and I keep finding software I want but it has to be compiled before it can be installed... I have searched the forum and see that some of you are working on the problem. I appreciate that.
In the meantime, would a program work if I used a live cd of SLAX linux (based on slackware) to compile the program and then installed it in Puppy? Puppy is the only OS on my computer and I don't have any other distro installed on other computers. Does anyone know a reason a program compiled in SLAX wouldn't work in Puppy?

I see talk about usr_devx.sfs in the forum... What will installing usr_devx.sfs do for me? Will I be able to compile in Puppy? What limitations are there in compiling in Puppy?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the work everyone is doing on Puppy. I am still convinced Puppy is the best Linux distro!

Paul

edr4d

#2 Post by edr4d »

This one is easy:

downloand and place user_devx.sfs in the same dir as your pup file.

You can now compile from source.

Enjoy!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

alex_b

Compiling in Puppy

#4 Post by alex_b »

Paullecorde

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewforum.p ... 62a0232375

Be sure to read posts on this discussion to see if there are issues with programs/libraries in Puppy that you need to compile the program you seek.

Alex
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them"
- Albert Einstein