Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Oct 2019, 00:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Slaxer_Pup 4.12 solid and stable non woof build
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 25 of 32 [470 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 30, 31, 32 Next
amigo

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 16:33    Post subject:  

The 'trick' I used for putty, was to let it configure itself(which is for the non-gtk build), but then compiled it using the Makefile.gtk and then used the normal install routine(for the non-gtk build) which installs the same objects.

A note to Joe, I am getting pretty close to having an installable i586-kiss-linux, and I have some special sources I'll be makign available. Among them is a highly-patdched, one-of-a-kind gtk-1.2 like nobody else has, with a nicely modified file-selector and fixes from about 10 distros.

i586-kiss-linux is being built *entirely* using scr2pkg scripts which are arch-agnostic. So once I have all the scripts done, a whole distro for another arch can be built pretty-much automatically. And, since src2pkg can now automatically split packages (as well as compress the bins and do other tiny-ness-related things), it's gonna be a snap to produce 'tight' packages by the hordes!

I have an iMac, so I'll probably run off a ppc port first, then I'll work on the port for the loongson processor (since I have a gdium and promised to create a port). Raffy is checking on some ARM-based netbooks also, and I hope to get one and create that port also. What this all means is having a common base for several significant arches, from which to build one or more varieties of 'compact' distros.
big_bass

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 21:52    Post subject:  

Hey Gilbert
Quote:
i586-kiss-linux is being built *entirely* using scr2pkg scripts which are arch-agnostic. So once I have all the scripts done, a whole distro for another arch can be built pretty-much automatically

when you finish you already know I want a copy Very Happy

thanks for providing the scripts
I want to do a how to about compiling some simple apps with src2pkg
to get people started here in the puppy camp

I know it will even be easier when the pet package splitting is official I have a test copy

I really need the *tgz to split packages to save time that would ROCK!

always thankful for your help and work

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ahhh Gilbert just to confirm your build script does work on slaxer_pup
I had to test it on a clean install to be sure all the depends were met

Code:
src2pkg -X putty.src2pkg

using this script attached that amigo provided will auto build the package
you'll have to add in the icons and desktop manually for this one

don't build in root make a folder ok

note: most of the time you just need
src2pkg -A -E packagetocompile.bz2

this is an example for advanced users
I need to post some simple builds too

this above package putty is a good example of how to use build scripts so you always build the package correctly in an organized way
so that when a new version comes out you have a perfect record of what needs to be done

Joe
putty_build_script.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  putty_build_script.tar.gz 
Filesize  843 Bytes 
Downloaded  344 Time(s) 

Last edited by big_bass on Tue 01 Dec 2009, 21:52; edited 1 time in total
Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 02:04    Post subject:  

amigo wrote:
I have an iMac, so I'll probably run off a ppc port first

Can you let PowerPup know in this thread, when you've done it....I'll be interested too if it'll work on a G3?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39715&start=105

thanks, both Very Happy

Aitch Smile
amigo

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 03:28    Post subject:  

Joe, to have the icons and desktop file included in the package, all you have to do is place them in the CWD and they'll be installed automatically.

Aitch, when I get something working for PPC, I'll pass along the tip in that thread.
pakt

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 06:27    Post subject:  

Quote:
The 'trick' I used for putty, was to let it configure itself(which is for the non-gtk build), but then compiled it using the Makefile.gtk and then used the normal install routine(for the non-gtk build) which installs the same objects.

Yeah, I was out of my depth trying to compile that package. Thanks amigo for explaining how it's done.

I'll stick to fishing in shallower waters for now Laughing

Quote:
Raffy is checking on some ARM-based netbooks also, and I hope to get one and create that port also.

Now that's more like it. Back to testing code on hardware. That's a great project Razz

I've been trying to keep an eye on these ARM-based netbooks but I haven't found any for sale. They promise lower power consumption resulting in less heat and longer running time. I'm eagerly awaiting these beasts. I'll have to ask Raffy what he's found.

@Joe Thanks for the slaxer_pup_updater. Good to have it all in one script.

In case you guys were wondering what I wanted putty for, I've been updating the firmware in a couple of devices with embedded Linux (an ASUS WL-HDD NAS and AP, more info: http://wlhdd.co.uk/wiki/Guide and a Linksys NSLU2 NAS using external disks, more info: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/).

I've got the WL-HDD running Oleg's firmware now and storage is on a Compact Flash card instead of a hard disk. I've installed a few apps including samba and transmission via ipkg.

I've got a few choices of firmware for the NLSU2 (aka 'SLUG'). Right now it's running Unslung firmware but I'm looking into installing Debian on it.

(The OS used on an ARM-based netbook wont be that much different from that running in these devices: the NSLU2 has an ARM Intel XScale CPU, whereas the WL-HDD has a MIPS CPU from Broadcom,)

Paul

pakt

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2009, 05:12    Post subject:  

Guys, here's a new nut to crack Wink

It's the driver source code for the VT6655 wireless card in my eBox-2300. I want to use this tiny PC as a file server in my network. The only thing that doesn't work in SlaxerPup is wifi.

According to the download page it is supported by these OS:

Debian Linux, Fedora Core 8.0 Linux, Fedora Core 7.0 Linux, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu Linux - pre 8.04, Fedora Core 5.0 Linux, Fedora Core 6.0 Linux, openSuSE Linux 10.3 & earlier versions, Source packages, Fedora Core 4.0 Linux, Fedora Core 3.0 Linux, SuSE Linux Enterprise 11, Fedora Core 9.0 & 10.0, Xandros, Fedora Core 1.0 & 2.0 Linux

So it seems to me it should work with SlaxerPup Smile

I've tried compiling it with src2pkg and manually but get an error:
Code:
# make && make check
Makefile:93: /lib/modules/2.6.27.7/build/.config: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/lib/modules/2.6.27.7/build/.config'.  Stop.

Can anyone (Joe or amigo Wink ) get this driver to compile?

Here's the source code:
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VT6655_Linux_src_v1.20.02_x86.rar

EDIT: I was a little too hasty. I'm also missing the sis7019 sound driver. Barry normally has it in puppy. I couldn't get this to compile either [sigh]. This compiling business isn't easy Rolling Eyes

I'm attaching the sis7019 source.

Paul
sis7019-patched-p212.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  sis7019-patched-p212.tar.gz 
Filesize  37.9 KB 
Downloaded  353 Time(s) 

big_bass

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2009, 13:51    Post subject:  

Hey Paul ( pakt )

yeah, that requires kernel sources those are more involved to compile
some apps are easier than others and you are picking the hard ones Laughing

I'll work on it

a great project you are on
those mini systems

Joe
pakt

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2009, 04:37    Post subject:  

Thanks Joe Smile

Can I assume these drivers need the complete headers to compile?

Would it help if I installed Slackware 12.2 on one of my old PCs should I want to (try to) compile drivers in the future?

Paul

amigo

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2009, 05:31    Post subject:  

Yeah, you'll have a lot better luck compiling anything using slack. As far as which version to install -try to match the kernel version as closely as possible with what puppy is using. If you mostly compile software and not kernel modules, then it would be better to match to the glibc version insetad of the kernel.
big_bass

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2009, 14:59    Post subject:  

Hey Paul (pakt)

all compiled well notice that the official 4.12
has these installed

wpa_supplicant-0.5.10
openssl-0.9.8e
they are newer versions than the ones you posted the sources to
so no need to compile those for now

------------------------------
install this package VT6655-driver-v1.20.02-i486-slxr.tar.gz
after installing it gets installed here *if you wanted to double check

/lib/modules/2.6.27.7/kernel/drivers/net/viawget.ko

then run
Code:
depmod -a 

in the terminal to update your new module
so its added /lib/modules/2.6.27.7/modules.*

I updated the net list for you use this netlist-update-VT6655-i486-slxr.tar.gz
then when you run the connection wizard you'll now see

viawget "pci: VIA Networking Solomon-A/B/G Wireless LAN Adapter Driver"

P.S
*The sources for the audio driver failed I need to get the un patched sources*

keep me updated let me know how it went with those packages

had to rename to tar.gz for the forum to upload it

Joe
VT6655-driver-v1.20.02-i486-slxr.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  VT6655-driver-v1.20.02-i486-slxr.tar.gz 
Filesize  116.64 KB 
Downloaded  434 Time(s) 
netlist-update-VT6655-i486-slxr.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  netlist-update-VT6655-i486-slxr.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.88 KB 
Downloaded  447 Time(s) 

Last edited by big_bass on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 15:30; edited 2 times in total
big_bass

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2009, 15:12    Post subject:  

Paul (pakt)
Quote:
Can I assume these drivers need the complete headers to compile?

Would it help if I installed Slackware 12.2 on one of my old PCs should I want to (try to) compile drivers in the future?

having slackware installed is always a good idea
but its not requiered to compile anything for slaxer_pup

yes, you need the full kernel sources when compiling those drivers
so you wouldn´t have got it to work without them for this job

I made a *.tgz of the sources it will be a few days before I can upload it

its at 170MB compressed over 750MB installed

I usually run USB install for day to day stuff so I had to set up another hard drive install
before I could compile the drivers for you

but I have to have that anyway so it was needed

most of the time you don´t need the kernel sources
installed so to save space I only install them when needed

*typo edit
Joe

Last edited by big_bass on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 12:34; edited 1 time in total
amigo

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 03:20    Post subject:  

You don't need the compiled sources, you only need them to be configured. Unpack sources, insert your favorite config file, run 'make silentoldconfig' and then run 'make prepare', then the sources can be used or re-packed and installed elsewhere.
I did have a look at these things the other day. The vt6655 compiled without problems. But, the other sources will need to be patched for use with later kernel sources as it searches for 'config.h' which no longer exists in the kernel sources -linking to the 'autoconf.h' should work, or it's pretty easy to change that in the driver sources.
pakt

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 05:44    Post subject:  

Joe, I appreciate all the work I put you through. I'll let you know how it goes Cool

I installed Slackware 12.2 on a spare partition I had on an old laptop and was remined of the old days when you spent more time setting up Linux than actually using it. Among other things, the keyboard-chooser was broken, the mouse wheel didn't work and I got nowhere setting up wireless using the network gui. In the end I just opened a terminal and setup wifi using the command line.

(The good thing with this exercise was that it reminded me of how easy it is to setup Puppy Laughing )

Another thing I was reminded of was the question of which kernel to use in slackware to make it compatible with SlaxerPup. Two choices: huge.s or hugesmp.s. SlaxerPup has an smp kernel so I assumed I should use hugesmp.s. Then, like amigo, I succeeded in compiling the vt6655 driver but when I tried modprobing it in SlaxerPup, I got an error message. I think it said something about a mismatch - seen it before when attempting to use a module for another kernel.

I re-installed Slackware with the huge.s kernel yesterday but it was just as well that I didn't have time to try compiling vt6655. I doubt if I would have gotten the right module since uname confirmed it isn't an smp kernel. So the question is, is either kernel compatible with the one in SlaxerPup?

Regarding the full kernel sources, wouldn't it be ideal to make an sfs file of them? That would make them nice and portable, be accessible from a frugal installation and not take up any memory, or?

amigo, good info on setting up kernel sources and on patching the audio driver source. I'll check the net first and see if I can find the original or newer audio driver source.

Paul

pakt

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 05:55    Post subject:  

Guys, I just found these on http://www.tcosproject.org/debian.php:
Quote:
sis7019-alsa-backport-source (1.0.0-2) - sis7019 ALSA driver for vortex sound target
Depends: make, gcc | c-compiler, bzip2, debhelper (>= 4.0.0), module-assistant | kernel-package
Binary for arch all (17.3 KB) | dsc file | Source dir

(backport from 2.6.25 kernel tree)

Homepage: http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards

sis7019-source (1.0.0-2) - sis7019 driver for vortex sound target
Depends: make, gcc | c-compiler, bzip2, debhelper (>= 4.0.0), module-assistant | kernel-package
Binary for arch all (24.2 KB) | dsc file | Source dir

Homepage: http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards

Any good?

EDIT: Also found this:http://git.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=175859bf1602c7ee38d720daa14a287072cc2b72

amigo

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 10:45    Post subject:  

This one:
http://www.tcosproject.org/pool/main/s/sis7019-alsa-backport/sis7019-alsa-backport_1.0.0-3+jaunty1.tar.gz
is probably the one you need.

As for mixing/matching kernel versions, remove the slackware kernel-sources package and then download, patch and configure the puppy kernel sources -place them in /usr/src with a link /usr/src/linux to the real directory. You'll still have to hack the driver Makefile to have it build the right sources, using the right headers... Still some room for you to learn more here Smile, as I can't do it all for you at the moment.

edit:
On looking at it harder, maybe you just need to enable that module in the kernel configuration as it seems to already be part of the kernel.
end edit

As to your idea about kernel sources in an sfs, I used to have a small USB-based distro where I kept the kernel sources as an iso image which got mounted on /usr/src/linux. this will usually work -provided the sources are pre-configured as I outlined. And, of course, if you want to build them you have to do it from a separate dir:
mkdir /usr/src/my-kernel
cd /usr/src/my-kernel
'make -f ../linux/Makefile menuconfig'
then
'make bzImage' ,etc,etc
Page 25 of 32 [470 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ..., 30, 31, 32 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: