Hansamben - 412 - Kids Linux distro based on Puppy Linux 412

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sidders

#21 Post by sidders »

No worries Jamalexa. I went through a few testing :lol:

I've given it out as a taster. I will give a couple to my daughters school, they could give them as prizes -maybe

sidders

#22 Post by sidders »

Still looking for niggles and have found a couple.
Abiword and tuxpaint save to /root as default. Presently trying to find a way to get them to save to /root/my-documents. Either that or remove the desktop icon for my-docs and replace it with the origonal. Its looking like the latter (i'm being child freindly, not M$ friendly).

Puppyt - Changing Abiword to default to rtf. The Abiword site advises against it due to the fact that formatting could be lost. Weighing the pros and cons i think yes go to RTF. How much formatting would a 4-6,7 year do?. My eldest is 3 so i cant verify this. So i'll go for it.

I have changed the load\install SFS , so it doesn't bomb if you hav'nt inserted the disk (in setup), it will ask for the disk.
Judging by the stats on downloads - 66 assorted, with or without SFS that will be affected, i will put up a "call me Bill service pack pet" to sort it out and upload amended ISO's.

Anybody else found something they're not happy with or something that's not playing?

DanSwing

Kiosk mode

#23 Post by DanSwing »

But would like to install the kiosk mode "live CD" on my old laptop, any guesses how I might be able to do that?

sidders

#24 Post by sidders »

Dan You cant, is the short answer.

The full iso (with -210mb or without-269mb SFS) can be installed

If you want to wipe the laptop and use it solely for HSB, go into my-documents, up one level to root and open the folder recycle-this-pc and click on the oneclick.run. Password: Wipehdd. All the instructions are in Help.

CTRL + ALT + H - hide the menu except for FUN and Personal
CTRL + ALT + D - Disable right click (doesnt work on touchpad) it maps all buttons in Xorg.conf to 1 1 1.

You can unlock and remove the icons for the internet.

If you have any problems let me know.

Sidders

DanSwing

Kiosk mode

#25 Post by DanSwing »

Well alrighty then, will just have to load the non-kiosk version on the hard drive.

sidders

#26 Post by sidders »

Sorry about that, its my wording kiosk\livecd. Anyway you can achieve much of whats on the live cd with the full. :oops:

jamalexa

Kiosk Version

#27 Post by jamalexa »

I like the kiosk version. Two things, 1. Can I get a copy of the pdf thats on the kiosk version? 2. How can I set up my installed versions to have minimal icons like the kiosk? 3.HHH does not run on the installed versions.

sidders

#28 Post by sidders »

Here's the PDF.

i'll have a look at the icons and HHH

sidders

#29 Post by sidders »

Minimal icons.
Attached is a copy i have re-jigged for hiding all the menus including the taskbar. If you put it into /ur/share/jwmrcmenus, when you press ctrl+alt+h, x will restart and the the only things you will see is whats on the desktop.
I commented out include jwmrc.tray

Code: Select all

<!--Include>/root/.jwmrc-tray</Include>
Jamalexa is this what you meant?

The only drawback is the volume control. I did mess about and try to get it on the desktop but it just didnt like it. The options left are to twiddle the dial on the speakers.

Had a play with Omnitux that Technosaurus refered to in an earlier post. Its pretty big (142mb) extracted. All the language files are mixed in together, so its not as easy as Gcompris to untangle.[/code]
Attachments
hide_root_.jwmrc.bz2
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

mrtimo

post text of abiword "booting from cd" file

#30 Post by mrtimo »

Can you post the text of your "booting from cd" abiword file somewhere online... it would be much easier to access as I sadly often use windows. Trying to train my nephews right...

Thanks.

sidders

#31 Post by sidders »

Here you go

Abiword_format

m$-doc-format

Hopefully all the formatting is still there, there wasnt a lot anyway.

Puppyt

#32 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks sidders - I was just about to post too on mrtimo's request, but you beat me to it. I should have been clearer in my original request for documentation in RTF format etc - if users can open the ABW format then they're likely already to be on the open-source bandwagon, and hence more likely to have experience testing things peripheral to the MicroSoft universe. Documentation in RTF or even DOC nowadays would be more encouraging for your burgeoning audience who might be exploring Linux for the first time, I think. (The DOC opens fine in TextMaker, by the way - you've done good work there.)
Delayed on giving feedback on the Oz flavour of your LiveCD offering, I'm afraid,

Wishing you, your partner and your 3 muses H, S and B a very happy Christmas!

zenfunk

#33 Post by zenfunk »

Sorry for bringing this up, but can you please stop using .doc format? While not many people can use .abw format (thanks for nothing microsoft), most of them can read doc format on their windows boxes. The reason they can't read abw files is because microsoft didn't implement this open sourced, free for all (read: easy to support) format . On the other hand did the MS monopoly force the open source community to reverse engineer the proprietary .doc format to be able to support it in their own applications, just because it is so widespread.
I don't think a "do to them what they did to us" attitude gets us anywhere. So using abw format, a format hardly anyone can read is not helpful for getting the info to the users.

On the other hand we should stop locking people in proprietary file formats, although they are very widely supported.

BTW, .rtf is a MS format too, but since it is a markup language (like html) it is rather easy to implement by other developers and is very whidespread. Nevertheless, rtf renders quite differently in various word processors and legally it is not an official standard (ISO etc.) IMHO.

I think textfiles, pdf or html format are suited best for getting a message across and can be opened by most users nowadays.

mrtimo

bug to report

#34 Post by mrtimo »

Ok, I downloaded the 269mb iso.

I boot from cd... and it chokes. Here is what it says:
Loading the 'hsb_412.sfs' mail file... copying to ram... done
setting up the layered filesystem..... done
performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem... Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!

Also a month ago or so I was able to do a frugal install... but then I noticed afterwards that the hsb_412.sfs file was only 27mb. That seemed way too small as it was the largest file in the folder. Not surprisingly, it did not boot.

Anyway, I'll keep trying things, and different isos.

sidders

#35 Post by sidders »

If its booting from the cd, could be a bad burn. Try burning at x4.

I'll see if i can replicate the problem.

jamalexa

Wine

#36 Post by jamalexa »

Happy Holidays. I am going to build a system for my 3 year old this week.I want to try and install a couple of programs for her and I would like to know which version of wine should i install? Also I need to know if i should use an .sfs or a pet/ and how to install it. Thank you for your time.

sidders

#37 Post by sidders »

i've no experiience with Wine. This thread might help:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37783

technosaurus

#38 Post by technosaurus »

GCompris 9.0 released
  • Changes: GCompris is almost 10 years old, and it required some deep code restructuring. The old, unmaintained gnome-canvas toolkit has been replaced with a modern Cairo-based toolkit named... goocanvas. One good side effect is that GCompris can be used on big monitors and on smaller devices. Minor changes include the new graphism for the canal lock and water cycle activities, the new photo hunter activity, and more famous paintings. The animation activity allows editing previous frames at will with a timeline.
They should really dump the ancient pysqlite requirement too since Python now carries sqlite bindings by default... (or am I confusing another Python game?)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#39 Post by technosaurus »

I have hacked jwm to replace ROX for the desktop (including background, icons and more):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 851#380851

Why?
fewer resources
faster start
"buttons" for icons
grouped programs
can remove Rox for kiosk mode
stability - kids can't easily delete icons, background etc...
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

sidders

#40 Post by sidders »

Just thought i would call in and say i have noted everything, also been knocking around the forum noting lots of other things as-well.

Had a play with Winelite from Choicepup and it works on HSB. I'm no expert on Wine though. I have tried a few small apps, if it doesnt work out of the box on Wine i havnt persued it.I will though in future.

Also experimented with Pebble (again) and Splashy with mixed results. As MikeB pointed out on the Spalshy thread Bootsplash seems to the better option, however i have not embarked on that but will do soon.

Getting myself sorted out and organised, then i will meditate and focus on taking this forward.