Pbackup 3.1.9-1

Miscellaneous tools
mow9902

Pbackup Latest release

#241 Post by mow9902 »

Thanks for your effort and persistence with this program. Very useful.

My question is "How do I backup a directory containing symlinks so that the links themselves are copied rather than the files they point to"?

I realize that I can use the "follow symlinks" option to backup the actual files pointed to, but I would like to be able to also backup the links themselves so that I don't have to recreate them after I restore from backup.

Am I making any sense? I have examined a number of gui backup programs and I cannot find any that actually does this. On the other hand, I can use ROX filer to manually copy symlinks so I expected that I would be able to accomplish the same thing automatically with a backup program.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question - but as a newbie I have to start somewhere. thanks

zigbert

#242 Post by zigbert »

mow9902
I don't get this. Symlinks are fully supported by Pbackup, and my tests work here. Could your problem be system releated? Be aware that vfat partitions (older windows filesystems and many memory sticks) does not support symlinks in Linux.

Sigmund

mow9902

Backing up symlinks

#243 Post by mow9902 »

Zigbert

You are entirely correct. I was backing up to an NTFS disk. After your response I backed up to another linux partition and the symlinks were indeed backed up just as expected.

Sorry for any anxiety my question might have caused.

zigbert

#244 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.1.5
See main post

disciple

#245 Post by disciple »

Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#246 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.1.6
See main post

Changelog
- Autodetection of all languages in ISO 639-1.
- Bugfix: kill pid when close window.
- Bugfix: better text-rendering in logbox when burning.

techtype

Thanks

#247 Post by techtype »

thanks!!

zigbert

#248 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.17

Changelog
- Bugfix: increased startup sleep value.
- Bugfix: App killed at startup if xwinifo misses. (thanks to sketchman)
- Bugfix: Use english helpfile if active language lacks help.
Attachments
pbackup-3.1.7.pet
(34.48 KiB) Downloaded 1141 times

kuapao

ftp backup with Pbackup 3.1.7

#249 Post by kuapao »

zigbert wrote:Version 3.17

Changelog
- Bugfix: increased startup sleep value.
- Bugfix: App killed at startup if xwinifo misses. (thanks to sketchman)
- Bugfix: Use english helpfile if active language lacks help.
Hi zigbert,

Great app!!! Can you please check the FTP functionality? Here are my observations:

1. If either Username and Password are blanked out and the profile is saved, the window that prompts for server name, username and password (as defined in script func_ftp) no longer pops up.

2. I assumed that FTPSERVER can be of the form "ftp.server.com", but curl does not appear to like this and errors with 501 Not Implemented error. The only way I got FTP backup to work is to specify with the ftp:// prefix, as in "ftp://ftp.server.com".

I am using Puppy Linux 4.2 with pbackup 3.1.7 and
curl 7.17.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.17.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8e zlib/1.2.3.

Non-FTP backup questions:
1. Before we "Start backup process", can we have a warning if I have unsaved changes (and as a result, settings from the saved profile will override any unsaved changes)? Eg. I made changes to username and password for FTP backup (but haven't saved them), I might mistakenly assume that the new settings will apply when I run the backup. Or are my assumptions wrong?

2. Temp storage, would it be possible to show the current setting for temp storage in the GUI? I know I can look in pbackuprc, but it would help to see it in the GUI.

3. Can we have Pbackup perform size calculations, source and target availability, and check ftp connectivity during the Inspection process? I guess I was looking for a "dry-run" feature.

Thank you!

zigbert

#250 Post by zigbert »

kuapao
Thanks for feedback

I will deal with it when Pbackup gets its next overhauling.

Sigmund

bkenn

Restore in PBackup 3.1.5

#251 Post by bkenn »

Hello - I backed up the full contents of a partition and now I need to restore it. I am using puppy 421 and pbackup 3.1.5 The backup showed success. I could see the backup label in history but when I double clicked on it - as instructed on screen - to see the contents - nothing happened. I clicked on help and again - nothing. I clicked on the minus beside the history record and it disappeared. I am sure it was just the history record. The question is how do I restore my backup? I can see it on the partition where I backed it up to. Is there a manual that explains something I am not seeing in the interface? Or is there a command line method?

Your help is appreciated. This is an important backup of an entire ntfs partition. Thanks!

bkenn

Restore not needed now

#252 Post by bkenn »

I used the cp command and restored the backup files with apparently full success. I still would like to know how pbackup does restore. Thanks

zigbert

#253 Post by zigbert »

bkenn
Good to hear that all went ok for you.
The restore function should do exactly what you did manually.

I'll test the restore function before next release

Sigmund

zigbert

#254 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.1.8
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Restore (thanks to bkenn)
- Bugfix: pbackup -q fails with the loop in /usr/local/bin/pbackup.
- Bugfix: ftp-window didn't show up if any ftp-variable hold null. (thanks to kuapao)
- Bugfix: Ensure ftp prefix ftp://. (thanks to kuapao)

chiron

#255 Post by chiron »

Hello,

I used Pbackup 3.1.8. (incremental backup) to backup files from a sambashare to a local directory. On first sight, everything worked OK, but I found out it has problems with directories that have been created after the last full backup. It finds and backs up files in directories that were there already, but it ignores recently created directories, including all files in them.

I hope there is a simple solution. Otherwise Pbackup is a nice little App.

zigbert

#256 Post by zigbert »

chiron
The Pbackup script screams for an overhaul. I'll take a look in the near future.

Thanks for reporting.
Sigmund

chiron

#257 Post by chiron »

I havo to apologize. The fault was not pbackup's, I found out that for some strange reason the file change dates where all 1.1.1970. So, of course it was not included in 'backup recent'.

zigbert

#258 Post by zigbert »

chiron
Thank you for sharing.

Sigmund

nassausky

Pbackup Not Loading (Not Starting)

#259 Post by nassausky »

I have Puppy 4.31 and all of a sudden pbackup stopped working (not loading). I tried installing the latest 3.18 but it is frozen on the loading screen. Any ideas?

disciple

#260 Post by disciple »

I also occasionally find that the "p" programs freeze the first time I run them after installing a new version.
Did you try killing it and running again? Run from a terminal too, in case it produces some useful output.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER